All reviews front desk corner room cruise terminal sydney waterfront view of the water breakfast buffet two nights nice boardwalk board walk march break bed and pillows hot tub stayed one night hotel restaurant cape breton mini fridge would highly recommend this hotel
Reviewed 17 August 2018

About what you'd expect from a Holiday Inn. Good facilities, great view from the room. Enjoyed the restaurant - server very friendly and knowledgeable of the area. Very fast internet access - always a plus.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
Philippa B, Sales Coordinator at Holiday Inn Sydney Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2018

Greybeard3,

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your visit to Holiday Inn Sydney Waterfront. We always enjoy hearing from our guests and this is no exception. We are grateful for your support and do hope that we may have the pleasure of your company in the future.

Reviewed 17 August 2018

Had a nice arrival with pleasant greeting. The breakfast ladies were all excellent and had terrific service. The room location was across from the elevator so loud with people talking, so recommend asking for room away from elevator. They were booked solid so there was not a chance to move rooms. The thermostat in the room did not work well either.

Room Tip: Get rooms away from elevator and at end of hallway
  • Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
Philippa B, Sales Coordinator at Holiday Inn Sydney Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2018

MikSis3,

We truly appreciate you taking the time to tell us about your recent experience at Holiday Inn Sydney Waterfront. We value all feedback, both positive and negative, as it allows us to better improve guest experience. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your meal in Saltspray Restaurant. We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Holiday Inn Sydney

Reviewed 14 August 2018

Arriving at the hotel past their posted check-in time there were two front desk agents working, the lady was serving another customer and the young gentleman was available. So I handed him (Adam) my IHG Rewards card to save the trouble of spelling a foreign name and told him I had a reservation. He was holding my Spire card in his hand while thanking me for being a Platinum (!) member. He was polite and trying to be friendly, but was totally inefficient and not competent for the job. He then told me I was assigned a king room, which was not the case. I made the reservation for a double queen room with a view, I had the confirmation printed and showed it to him. Then the ordeal began.
First he offered us a room on their lowest floor facing the parking lot. A room with a view! Then, after looking in the computer for several minutes, he asked his female colleague (Mary Frances), who finished serving the other customer, for help. So it was now two clerks (with no one else waiting to check-in) trying to assign me a room I had booked. Mary Frances told me they upgraded me to a king room. What kind of upgrade was that? If you book a room with two beds it's probably for a reason - since you are traveling with someone with whom you can't or don't want to share a bed. If I book a double queen room an upgrade is to a double bed executive or double bed suite not to a king room. She then frantically started calling housekeeping and the daily manager, trying to find a room. And it went on and on. In the meantime Adam was trying to entertain us with the description of the world's largest fiddle, located down the road, which was nice of him. However, he could instead have spent the time giving some information about the hotel and conditions of the stay, including the paid parking (not posted anywhere), which came as an unpleasant surprise at the end of the stay. What if I didn’t want to pay for the parking and would prefer to use the metered street parking?
Mary Frances was still looking for a room. Some rooms were not yet serviced by the housekeeping, some did not match what I had booked. Finally, she was able to find something by moving some of the group guests to a different room. So that’s where “my room” went – they sold it to a group. She was apologetic, but the whole check-in process lasted more than 20 minutes! I find this completely unacceptable. Their top tier loyalty members arriving with a reservation made 6 months in advance should have been pre-checked and assigned what was in the reservation, then the check-in process is a thing of a minute or two. Reading some other reviews on TA it seems changing room bed types without a guest's consent is standard practice at this property, I wonder is it because of incompetence or because they can better sell the two queen rooms for group tour and walk-ins?
Had I been the daily manager (who was informed of this problem over the phone by Mary Frances) I would have personally contacted the guest, apologized and done something to make up for the disastrous check-in experience. Not in this hotel.
Getting to the room the disappointing feeling continued, the elevators were outdated, the hallways dark, with dirty carpets, trash in front of guest rooms that no one collects for hours and hours, and a humid, unpleasant smell. Opening the room it felt like walking back to 1980s. The decor and the design were old and outdated, but what really bothered me was the fact the room was not clean. The office chair and the sofa chair both had sticky stains, hair from previous guests, the carpet was dirty in places and the whole furniture was very dusty. It took a whole pack of disinfecting wet wipes to get the room to a marginally acceptable state of hygiene. I have never seen an A/C that old and dilapidated, it took lots of strength to push those buttons to get it going. The only place for this A/C should have been a museum of technical engineering. There was no micro in the room even though there was a hole in the furniture were it was supposed to be or maybe even was years ago.
Two things were fine in the room - the size of the room and the view, the latter would have been even better had they ever cleaned the windows.
Since they charge for coffee (from a machine) in the lobby, we decided to make coffee in the room. We realized the housekeeping did not leave any creamers or sugars. Having noticed the housekeeping cart next door I asked the housekeeping gentleman if he could give me some. He told me he didn't have any, but would go and get them from another floor (?) and bring them to the room. After about 10 minutes the creamers and sugars arrived. It would have been funny if it hadn't been really happening.
This place does not deserve to belong to the Holiday Inn brand, neither in terms of service nor in cleanliness or room standards. Judging by the responses on TA from their representative, which are mostly useless PR, it seems they do not even care. There are not many hotel options in Sydney, but nevertheless try somewhere else.

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
6  Thank Slo-Lju
Reviewed 14 August 2018

We stayed here between a long day's drive from New Brunswick and a long day on the Cabot Trail. It was the perfect break. We appreciated having a nice bar and restaurant right in the hotel with good food and service. The room was comfortable and we had a great view of the waterfront even though we had specifically requested it. We thought the price was reasonable for the quality and the season.

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
Philippa B, Sales Coordinator at Holiday Inn Sydney Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2018

jaymat44,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your recent experience here at Holiday Inn Sydney Waterfront. We are delighted to have been your home away from home while you were exploring the east coast. We are glad to hear you enjoyed our comfortable rooms, beautiful views as well as SaltSpray and the Crown and Moose Pub. Come back and visit us again soon.

Reviewed 14 August 2018 via mobile

I booked a two queen bed room through booking.com. Our arrival was delayed to 3AM so when we arrived they gave us the last room which was a single queen. They claimed that it was booking.com’a mistake requesting a single queen bed. After contacting Booking.com they contacted the hotel and their excuse this time was our late arrival which was marked as no show and so they sold our room to someone else. We still paid the full price for two queen bed and the hotel neither compensated us nor paid the price difference back!

Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Homa S

Homa S,

Thank you for sharing the few challenges that you unfortunately had to experience during your stay, and for which I would like to apologize. It is always our pleasure to receive guest feedback and we have certainly taken this feedback seriously to aid in our continuous improvement. Please note that our management takes each issue very seriously and will be taking steps to address them. We regret that your stay was less than satisfactory. We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back and to provide you with an exceptional guest experience.