“Sushi & steak”

Good for: Bar Scene, Business meetings, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Reviewed 18 March 2018

Wow, we were both really impressed. I'd heard that the steak was great so I went with a steak appetizer but also some sushi so I could try both. Delicious, meaty but delicate steak appetizer and buttery rich fish in the sushi, nicely balanced flavours that make me wonder why I buy cheap sushi ever. Service was perfect, was surprised to see some negative reviews of the service as we had a very nice welcome and a great server who was friendly and came across as a total pro. Next time I want to sit next to the aquarium!

Reviewed 26 January 2018

Basho has been my favorite restaurant for quite some time now, I dine there fairly regularly to get their Tuna Tartare, Spicy Tuna Rolls, melt in your mouth Filet Mignon and fancy cocktails! Best restaurant in the city, hands down.

Reviewed 14 December 2017

I love Basho. The food is to die for, arguably some of the best in St. John's. The hand made cocktails are made with great attention to detail and every single one is delicious. The biggest let down is the service. The last time I was there, the table next to us finally had to ask for their food to be delivered to go because they had to leave to pick up their kids. At first I thought to myself, those guys are rookies; thinking they can go in and out of Basho in 90 minutes... Ha! But upon reflection, I really wish that the staff and management would take more ownership and be better drivers in their restaurant success. It's not everyone, but as a whole this area needs a big improvement. It's like most of the people that work there forget about simple customer service. The wait times on food and drink is abominable. This is what is limiting the restaurant to being truly excellent. In conclusion, if you love good food and have lots of time to spare for waiting, come for a meal at Basho. The food will not disappoint. Make sure you order two drinks at a time because when your glass is empty, it's going to be a while before it's filled.

Reviewed 10 December 2017 via mobile

Company Holiday Social, full house.

We enjoyed sushi of all types in addition to fried calamari, sliced steak, scallops and shrimp. Everything was excellent.

Drink and wine selection was very good, served professionally.

Great staff, with a wonderful ambiance and great service throughout the entire evening. What else could you ask for?

The only place in town to enjoy Japanese cuisine.

Go there, you’ll enjoy yourselves!

Reviewed 19 October 2017 via mobile

Excellent drinks and sushi... Warm atmosphere. Excellent salads and love the lychee martinis!! Great place for friends