“Confortable!”

Delta by Marriott St. John's Conference Centre
Ranked #7 of 22 Hotels in St. John's
Reviewed 3 February 2012

I spent 5 nights at this hotel. The room is big and the bed very confortable. The bathroom was very clean. The hotel is not far from a lot of restaurants and bars in the heart of St. John's.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank san15
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Delta by Marriott St. John's Conference Centre

Reviewed 19 January 2012

Spent two night in Jan. and left with mixed feelings. The front desk service and concierge was excellent for both check-in and check-out. The location is great as near George street. The hotel staff were polite, and the bed was comfortable and the room clean.

But the hotel room needs some sprucing up. While there has been an attempt to update, the bathtub was old and chipped, the closet door looked like it was put together by an amateur, and the fridge (while welcome) was terribly noisy...so I simply pulled the plug. Slipped into the restaurant one mornng for a quick coffee, but after 10 minutes of not getting served...got up and left. And finally, the coffee maker was not cleaned after my 1st night's stay.

None of these problems are major and I would probably stay there again, just don't expect luxury.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Barfly-guy
Reviewed 6 January 2012

We stayed at the Delta Hotel in St. John’s when my husband was attending a conference in the hotel. Since I had never been to Newfoundland, I joined him and we spent an extra day sightseeing after the conference.

I have stayed at other Deltas in the past and new roughly what to expect. Unfortunately, the king bed we requested was not available when we arrived so we had a standard room with two double beds. This just doesn’t work for us but the hotel was fully booked for the conference. The room was well-furnished in terms of content – in addition to the two beds there were 2 chairs and a table, a desk, a large dresser, and a refrigerator. I cannot stand a hotel room with no chairs or just one chair. The furnishings needed a little update and the room itself really needed refurbishing. Nothing serious just tired looking. Incidentally, the bedding was quite nice.

Our first night there the restaurant was not open so we ate in the bar. Not great. I mean, there’s pub food and then there is what we were served. I ordered a wrap and it was like a Stouffer’s frozen wrap or similar. Not many options not in the deep fried category. One night when my husband had dinner plans as part of the conference, I ordered room service and another I went to the main restaurant myself.

Clearly, the room service is prepared in the main kitchen (not the pub) because the food was quite good. The night I ate in the restaurant, the steak I ordered was excellent! Fresh perfectly cooked vegetables on the side. I don’t know if my expectations were very low because of my earlier experience or if the food was really that good but most people in the restaurant that night seemed equally impressed.

The fitness center was not at all up to par. None of the TVs on the cardio machines had reception. No matter what you tried to tune to there was just one local station that was so fuzzy I was getting nauseous trying to watch. It is not staffed except for a person checking your room key and watching the stack of towels. While I didn’t use the pool, there were people doing laps most mornings I was there so it must be sufficient for that.

The staff are all fantastic. Everywhere in the hotel. They always went beyond what was necessary and anticipated needs. They left no de-caf after the first morning as it hadn’t been used. They did, however, leave extra regular. Look, I know this isn’t rocket surgery but this is one of the most difficult things to achieve in many hotels.

Last word is that if you are used to staying in the Delta hotels in Montreal or Halifax, this is a little bit of a let down. However, I would strongly suggest a room upgrade if possible. I think that would have left me with a little better impression of the property. The location is a short walk from most of the downtown area but it is halfway up the kind of hill that will kill you if you are from anywhere but St. John’s or Halifax!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 January 2012

Stayed at Delta St. John's at the end of October 2011 for 4 nights on business/vacation.

The hotel is a modern highrise structure situated in the heart of St. John's adjacent to the civic arena and within walking distance to most restaurants and bars, particulary 'George Street'. It is about a 20 minute drive from the airport and is easy to find once you are able to navigate the confusing intersections.

The rooms are basic Delta style with comfortable beds, large well lit bathrooms and great sound proofing. The pub off the main lobby offers a varied menu with food and beverages at an affordable price for a major city centre hotel. We also utilized several of the hotel's meeting rooms and banquet hall. Organization for the event was well done and the food served above average. The staff seemed to go out of their way to accomodate all guests with a big smile and that legendary East Coast hospitality. Even though the hotel was full with 2 large conventions taking place it never seemed very busy. Like mentioned on a previous review the business centre needs to upgrade and or replace their printers.
There is self park at a reasonable daily rates plus Valet parking. Valet parking costs a bit more and for the price it is worth every penny. A quick call to the desk and your vehicle is out front of the lobby in less than 5 minutes even during peak time.
St. John's is a beautiful city with plenty of places to explore and many historic sites such as Beacon Hill, Cape Spear and the wonderful coastal towns all within an hour's drive. My only suggestion to the city is to provide more street signs as many intersections are confusing.
The only negative part of the stay was checking out early Sunday morning after the Halloween Saturday night. I thought security could of done a better job to clear out the many intoxicated University Students that were partying all night in the hallways and the lobby.
Overall it was an excellent stay and we would not hesitate to book the Delta St. John's on our next trip to Newfoundland.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher room facing the harbour, the view is spectacular.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 January 2012

Our three day stay at the Delta was wonderful. Registration was efficient, friendly and had the added bonus of an upgrade to the eighth floor. The room was clean, very comfortable and large expansive windows showed off a gorgeous view of the old and colorful houses of downtown St. John's. Although we didn't eat in the restaurant and consequently can't comment on its food, it did seem to have lots of guests whenever we passed by. The underground garage, quite convenient in an area where parking is at a premium, had limited access one afternoon but the problem was quickly resolved. The service was great. This hotel is well located, a good choice for a stay in downtown St. John's. I'll certainly return.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business