“Terrible food Terrible Attitude”
Review of Hong Kong Take Out

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Hong Kong Take Out
Ranked #161 of 247 Restaurants in Saint John
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed 16 March 2017

Spent $50 on food for 2 people the other day and received the worst Chinese take out i have ever had. Usually i expect for one item to be not so good but this time everything was terrible. The chicken balls were under cooked to the point that the batter was very doughy and the chicken was dried out, the rice i suppose might have been eatable but i like to put some rib sauce on my rice and after doing this i got a very strong taste of some sort of a lemon/rubber type mixture that i believe came from the rib sauce. When i took my food back and told them it was uneatable she then began to tell me that they put lemon in their chicken ball sauce for 28 years now, when i explained that the chicken balls were fine aside from being under cooked and dried out, but didn't taste like lemon.. The taste i explained came from the rib sauce, so she then said she also uses lemon in the rib sauce as well. I told her i had eaten there in the past without a problem and she said i am just a person who doesn't like lemons.. I told her i can tolerate lemon just not rubber. She ended up giving me half my 40 % of my money back and told me numerous times i was special and that is the only reason i got any money back at all. She also asked me never to eat there again, which i was not planning on ever doing again.

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 17 April 2016

Food was average. The taste was okay but the restaurant seemed dirty so I didn't enjoy the food as much. There were a lot of people waiting and a lot of deliveries so the place is popular but if you visit the restaurant before you order then you may change your mind! The lady serving was nice but the cooks in the background seemed a little rude to her. She seemed to brush it off. They have a little chinese grocery section with lots of items that is convenient if you like to make chinese food at home.

We had a few combos with basic Canadian style chinese...everything deep fried but also ordered a szechuan chicken and general chao chicken that were good.

1  Thank SJNB-Traveler
Reviewed 3 November 2015

I find there are not many Chinese take outs that give you good tasting food and a fair quantity for your money. This place has been around a long time but I have never been dissatisfied with their food. There is a good menu and plenty of choices. It's a dark little place and many may not think that it's worth while to go in when you look at the building. I guarantee that the food will surprise you.

Reviewed 29 October 2015

Spent $50.00 here on Tuesday nite. Used to be a favorite. The last few times has a lot to be desired. Food not fresh. Spare ribs dried out. There were 2 very large pieces of ginger in the ribs . Thought they were ribs. Chicken was almost non existent in chicken balls. Rice was undercooked.Pork was dried out. My very favorite soup was gross. Don`t know why this place has gone so far down hill but we won`t spend another cent here. We lived too far away to make another trip to town to take it back. 3 of us ate a bit but most thrown in garbage. Also general tai`s chicken was mushy. Not even sure what it was. We were actually afraid to eat it.

1  Thank Gail B
Reviewed 23 September 2012

It's a hole in the wall and inexpensive. We got a combo #2 and it was your standard variety with rice, chicken chow mien, ribs, chicken and balls. The combo did include a nice soup though :-)

The chicken balls were crispy, the chow mein was soggy, the rice was sticky, the ribs were fatty.

The poor dude behind the counter did not speak English very well and it was difficult to understand how long he said it would be before our take out was ready or what the cost was.

A big plus for me is that they have bubble tea! They only have one flavour and I have no idea what that is but it was pretty good. it had tapioca pearls in it.