“At first glance the price seems high, but you will NOT be disappointed”

Caribbean Flava's Restaurant & Catering
Ranked #8 of 224 Restaurants in Fredericton
Price range: US$ 3 - US$ 19
Cuisines: Indian, Canadian, Caribbean, Jamaican
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Kids, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Cash Only, Delivery, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Edmundston, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“At first glance the price seems high, but you will NOT be disappointed”
Reviewed 26 February 2012

I have went here alone, with friends, and with colleagues and every time was always such a wonderful experience. The staff is wonderful, the food is wonderful, and finally a restaurant that knows what spicy food should taste like. They take pride in their restaurant and it shows. I recommend this place to everyone!

1 Thank lspringle
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

New Brunswick
“GREAT FOOD AND HOSPITALITY”
Reviewed 15 February 2012

My husband and I had a Valentine's Day dinner at Caribbean Flavas. We enjoyed both the food and the experience. Everyone was friendly and our meals were excellent. Would definitely dine there again and recommend to others.

1 Thank travelchick05
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Unbelievable food and service.”
Reviewed 12 February 2012

This was the first time that I had been to Caribbean Flavas. My girlfriend suggested it after she saw their presentation at the school where she presently interns.

When we walked in the door we were greeted right away and had our coats taken and seated. The resturant wasnt very busy but we were there for a late dinner. Our server was very good and very friendly. If you have ever been down south the atmosphere was bang on what I was expecting and looking forward to.

We started off with an order of Tobago Cornmeal Shrimp. It wasn't a large appetizer but the flavor was incredible. After our appetizer we were served an order of hot coconut bread, this is a must try. It is hard to describe I have never had bread quite like it before.

For our meals, I had the Blackened Cajun Tenderlion Steak and my girlfriend had the Carnival Curry Flavas. Both meals were cooked at medium spice (which was spicey but we both enjoy spicey food). My steak was cooked to perfection just the perfect amount of spice and flavor. Along with my steak came a salad and Tandori Onion Rings. The salad was good it had a sweet vinigrette dressing which added an unexpected but delicious flavor. And I can't forget about the onion rings cause they were delicious by far the best onion rings that I have ever had. They weren't greasy, they were crispy and had lots and lots of flavor. My girlfriends Carnival Curry Flava was chicken with fresh vegetables sauteed in a coconut cashew curry. She also had the coconut rice with her meal. Her meal was also fanastic (I had my fair share) the rice was very different (kinda like the bread) but in a very good way. Had lots of flavor and it went very well with the coconut cashew curry and the chicken and vegetables.

The portions were a perfect size. My girlfriend even had a little left over for the next day.

We finished off the meal with a double chocolate cheescake. It was a very simple dessert but it tasted very good. It was a great way to finish off the meal.

My personal favorite part of the meal (besides the great food) was when the cook (Naz the owner) came out and talked to us for a good 20 or so mins. We talked alittle about his resturant and his "Shout Outs" that he has gotten over the years. In particular I wanted to hear the Justin Bieber "Shout Out" story. Only because it was the only name that kinda seemed out of place on the whole list. I just enjoyed the fact that he took the time to come and say hi and spend some time at our table. It was that personal touch that in my mind makes this resturant stand out above any other resturant that I have been to in Fredericton.

I can't wait till I am back in Fredericton so that we can go to dinner here again. I would recommend this resturant to everyone if you haven't tried it you really need to go today and have a great dinner.

1 Thank KyleGailey
Woodstock, Canada
“GREAT FOOD BUT NO ATMOSPHERE”
Reviewed 4 February 2012

Having read the previous reviews of this well known Fredericton restaurant, I had high expectations of Caribbean Flavas, and didn't hesitate to recommend it for an evening meal out with friends.

On arrival at the restaurant we found it to be empty. And by 'empty' we mean totally devoid of other guests. This really wasn't the fault of the restaurant staff, as it appears that the folks in Fredericton either eat lunch out, or very early supper. Fredericton is very much a 'government town', so that may account for the supper time being at around half four in the afternoon when all the government workers knock off for the day. This really didn't help the atmosphere in the evening, although it lent itself towards us being able to choose whichever table we wanted.

Nonetheless, we were greeted warmly by the staff and promptly shown to our choice of table to peruse the menu. It took quite a while for the waiter to appear, asking if we'd like to choose a drink, which although non-alcoholic were very nice. The mango smoothies were just that - blended mangos, and very fresh and tasty.

We all chose a different main courses, which were freshly prepared by the owner, Naz Ali in the kitchen close to the table. They were all steaming hot, and well presented, and we all enjoyed our food, especially the lamb curry and the jerk chicken. Naz took the trouble to leave the kitchen and come and chat to us after we had eaten. It is plainly obvious that he and his staff (likely family) are very proud of their food, and of the restaurant itself, and this was reflected in the level of knowledge about the ingredients that they displayed, and the obvious passion they have for good food.

One thing worth mentioning was their comparison between Caribbean and Indian food. They pointed out that the food they cooked, although similar in nature to Indian food (spicy curries, for instance), was not as heavy on the stomach, or likely to have a flavour that lingered as much. Having extensively eaten Indian food on previous occasions, we all had to agree. In this respect the Caribbean Flava's food is very much like Thai food.

We finished off the meal with what was promoted as 'the best coffee in the world' - Blue Mountain Coffee from Jamaica. To be perfectly honest, we all thought it was terrifically weak, even by Canadian standards, and definitely NOT worth the $6 a cup we paid for it. Naz' explained that the supposed 'weakness' of the coffee was a feature of Blue Mountain coffee, which is apparently famed for it's mildness. We all viewed that claim as deserving a large 'pinch of salt'!

At the end of the evening we paid about $85 per couple, which was on the very steep side of expensive as far as local prices go, especially for the range of food we had.

The strong sides of this restaurant are:

Very warm and likeable staff, who are proud of their establishment, and obviously take pride in their service and product.

Well prepared, interesting, and tasty food, served piping hot.

This is a very clean and tidy restaurant. No cleanliness worries here.

The downsides?

Lack of evening atmosphere - not the fault of the restaurant - who stayed open late for us.

The extravagant claims for weak coffee.

The high cost of the food.

Would we eat at Caribbean Flavas again? Yes we would. The upside of the food outweighed the downsides, although we'd think twice about 'springing' for the cost of a meal there.

2 Thank JonFJ
Fredericton, Canada
“It's ok”
Reviewed 30 January 2012

I enjoyed my visit when I was there, but they don't serve wine so kinda like my wine with dinner.

1 Thank herbmom