“A good place to say when traveling through New Brunswick.”

Howard Johnson Plaza Hotel Fredericton
Ranked #17 of 21 Hotels in Fredericton
Reviewed 12 August 2017

If you are traveling and you need a room that is not overpriced, (as we found most hotels in Fredericton were) this is the place. They honour CAA, Government employees, Military discount pricing (this is a big thing to me). Upon arrival I was met by pleasant front desk staff. I am guessing when I say "this is a family run establishment". I approached the front desk with my confirmation in hand and was met with a smile and a Hello. I had no trouble checking in and was promptly taken care of even though the Hotel was fully booked that evening. I inquired about any discounts I could receive and after showing my Military ID and my CAA card, I was given the best discounted price available. Our room was on the second floor (no elevators at this location). We were given a room on the 2nd floor with 2 Queen beds as our party included 3 adults. When we entered the room you could tell it was one that had been recently updated. At check-in we were given the password for the Wifi which we found worked really well. Everything looked clean and the sheets/blankets were clean. This was thoroughly checked out by my wife. Knowing that a free continental breakfast was included in the price was a bonus. As we were traveling from Ottawa, On to Halifax, NS, the location of this hotel was easy to find. It was a short drive off the Trans Canada highway into Fredericton. Getting back on the Trans Canada was no problem as the signage was clearly shown. This hotel was on Prospect street and was very close to a large variety of restaurants and stores/shops to accommodate anyone's needs. A bonus for families is the outdoor pool and the amenities associated with this area. Even though the hotel was fully booked during our stay, we had no issues parking or noise issues.

Negatives: No elevators. This may deter individuals with mobility issue from staying at this establishment. Glasses in the bathroom. You cannot determine how or with what they were cleaned with. I prefer disposal paper cups due to sanitary reasons. The Continental Breakfast area was not well maintained. Everywhere we looked we could find dust and dirt in the seating area. (sills, walls, table legs, chairs)

Positives: Good Wifi. Free continental breakfast with enough variety to satisfy a traveler which was included in the price of our stay. The location. Easy to find and on a main thoroughfare.

Summary: This is an establishment you should seriously consider whenever traveling through Fredericton, NB.

Room Tip: If all the rooms have not been updated, ensure you request a recently updated room.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family

Reviewed 6 August 2017

It was an amazing experience overall. The housekeepers were straight forward and did their job very well. The staffs were very friendly and kind. The breakfast was good too. it was a good stay. Thank You!!!

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 July 2017 via mobile

It's an older hotel. The room was fine. Nothing special. It was a bit noisy from younger people on our floor. The kids liked the pool, but it is quite small. It would get two stars, but the breakfast was much better than expected.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 July 2017 via mobile

Nasty girl at front desk. I had a reservation, but dropped by earlier to confirm. I didn't even get two words out and she snarled at me saying, "not possible were full". Didn't even give me a chance to explain.

There is no need to be nasty like that.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank Nicedud87
Reviewed 24 July 2017

This is an older hotel so has a musty smell. It had an inside and outside pool as well as a hot tub and sauna room and a very small fitness room off of the pool area. Free parking, free wifi, free breakfast.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family