HI-Winnipeg Downtowner
US$ 108
US$ 126
US$ 120
Travelocity
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 6 February 2012

This hostel could be a million times better with just a few simple touches.

Overall we had a great stay here, the location is good, the room is really spacious, the staff are fairly friendly and the vegetarian restaurant downstairs is delicious.

However, the hostel feels very institutional and bare. It doesn't feel homely at all. We had a private double with ensuite and it was huge! But the bedspread and bathroom looked old and the floors were cold concrete. It was clean though and provided everything we needed.

For price and location, I would stay here again, but I hope the owners come to realise that an HI is meant to be a travellers home on the road, not a pit stop for workers in need of cheap accommodation.

From the reviews I read of this place in advance, I was expecting something much worse, but it is fine - safe, clean and relatively comfortable.

Do try the Nut Burger at the Vege Restaurant, it is melt in your mouth lovely.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KSud
Reviewed 8 October 2011

I'll start with the pluses, great staff, kitchen and internet (but only in the lobby). Apart from that the place seemed really run down. Mouldy bathroom with no lock on the door. Broken door on the locker where I was supposed to safely store my belongings. $5 deposit to borrow a towel that smelt like it had been used to dry a wet dog. Although the location is great during the day at night it seems like an unsafe area to be in. So nights are spent either on your laptop (if you can get a signal) or watching the tv that has poor reception. So far I've loved Hi-Hostels but this one was a real let down.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 August 2011

This has got to be the worst HI I have stayed in in Canada.

The place was run down.

It was fairly warm outside the night I stayed here. The air conditioner in the room didn't work and to open the window the blackout blind has to be up half way (large window with small opening). When I tried to roll up the blind it didn't roll up and the whole thing fell off the mount.

The room was dusty and I really didn't want to take off my flip flops. The bathroom in the room had no ventilation and there was rust in the tub. The bunks weren't all that great either, they squeaked a lot.

Even though there was WiFi in the place, I couldn't get a signal in my room.

Paying to park at a hostel is annoying.

Avoid this place if you can!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank CndTrvlr042
Reviewed 28 July 2011

My experience here may have been a bit skewed by the awful experience I had in another Winnipeg hotel the previous two nights. The HI seemed like paradise in comparison. I came to the HI last minute and thankfully they had availability. The staff are really helpful and there is an excellent vegetarian restaurant on the ground floor (try the parsnip ravioli, mmmm). The rooms are really outdated, but I think the staff try their best to give their guests a good experience though by organising a pub crawl on Thursday nights, having a pretty good bar and rec room, and of course the restaurant. There's a good vibe in the place. I hope they'll do something with the rooms and make a jewel for young travellers to Winnipeg.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 April 2011

I was told it was renovated previously so that bathrooms are now in the room. This is not a great feature, but standard for hostels nowadays.
The room wasn't very clean and didn't feel comfortable. The bar was lame. Kitchen good. Ask for a bed in the lower etage of a bunk bed as they are bigger.
The location was close to the big shopping centre and not basically good located. However, I did not feel safe at 7pm 5mins away from the hostel. As tourist you never know how safe it is anyways, but I rarely felt as uncomfortable as there.
Not too far away from Greyhound station.

Room Tip: ask for a lower bed = bigger; near shopping centre
  • Stayed: May 2010, travelled solo