“I love this place!”

Ranked #10 of 63 Hotels in Winnipeg
Fargo
“I love this place!”
Reviewed 30 March 2012

We have stayed at the Ft. Garry many times over the past seven years. We chose it as the hotel for our wedding guests in Canada, so it has a lot of great memories for us. Yes, the rooms hearken back to yesteryear - but I find that charming. And the beds - probably the most comfortable hotel beds we've ever slept in. The hotel is right downtown - easy walking distance to the Forks and other attractions. There is plenty of parking. We'll be staying there again.
We have found the staff to be very accommodating and they gave us a great package rate for the rooms for our wedding. We (the grooms) even got a nice upgrade to a suite.
The Sunday brunch is phenomenal - and included with your room! Even the daily breakfast in the charming breakfast room is wonderful. The main level bar/restaurant is fun and has a lovely atmosphere.
The only thing I would tell you to avoid is the revolving restaurant in the attached building next door. We tried lunch there - really awful. It's not really part of the hotel - but just to warn you.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (279)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Fredericton, Canada
Reviewed 27 March 2012

When I first entered my room, I thought I was going back in time. My room was fully covered of pink design wall paper. Not very nice to see. Although I found out later that the other rooms were not as colorful as mine...

The morning after my first night, the hairdryer was not working. So had to call the room service who was very kind and quick to bring me another hairdryer. The food was amazing and so yummy! The service was great. But I was there for business and did not pay for the room.

The location of the hotel is very very close to the forks market (walking distance).

On that note, if you have to pay out of your pocket, I do not recommend this hotel. I think it's way to pricey for room you will get. Plus, you will have to pay for internet wireless and parking (which is not uncommon in "fancy" hotels).

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Canada
Reviewed 22 March 2012

I traveled to this hotel on a recent business trip.

I chose this hotel only because a reception I was attending was going to be held at this hotel.

CON
The hotel is very old and rooms have not been updated for some time. Bathroom tiles and counter - very old and shabby looking.

CON
I asked for a late check out of 4 pm to do a phone call. This was not permitted unless I paid for another half day (~80$). Of course I didn't choose this. Interesting though that I arrived at 3 am - but had to pay for the whole night before :-).

CON - desk staff were not very helpful and were not empowered to make decisions that would have made for a better customer experience for me (i.e. late check out).

CON
Washcloths looked like they were cleaning rags.

CON
TV looked like an antique - old tube TV that flickered a lot.

PRO
The bed, bedding and alarm clock were relatively new. Towels and bath robes were new.

Overall - I would not choose or recommend this hotel - despite it's historical significance..

Room Tip: This is not a modern hotel - if you want to see a bit of history - :-) then this is your hotel! :-)
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank dockevincanning
Regina, SK
Reviewed 20 March 2012

I always look forward to a stay at Fort Garry, the last visit being with my wife in the Summer of 2011. Friendly staff, a super clean environment, and the refurbished charm of one of Canada's finest hotels of a bye-gone era highlight the atmosphere. To add to that, the excellent food presentations, each and every day, What more could you ask for? Oh yes, you cannot forget about the luxurious bath towels and a most comfortable bed. Well done and thank you!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 204 and it was absolutely great!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Solihull
Reviewed 11 March 2012

We stayed for 3 nights but we were pleased to leave. The hotel is in a great downtown location but we had a number of problems.

We were told on arrival that the swimming pool was closed. With a six year old, the pool was a key reason for choosing this hotel and we had not been advised that it would be closed when we booked.

The restaurant at breakfast was freezing. We had to go back to the room for our fleeces.

Our room was under a function room even though it was on the 10th floor. On the second night, we hardly slept due to the noise.

On the next morning, the welcome board advised of six weddings. We had little sleep the next night as a result.

The hotel did offer to move us but by that stage we had been there 2 nights and packing away and moving didn't appeal.

The hotel should warn people about functions and consider avoiding the adjacent rooms.

The room itself was too small for 3 of us. You would need to upgrade to get sufficient room.

Other people have already commented on the $15 wifi charge. The cafes at the Forks offer free wifi. There is no need to pay. I would have expected a hotel of this calibre to offer wifi free.

If we do return, we won't be staying here again.

• Stayed August 2011