“Intimate on St. Mary's”

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Firstly, hubs commented on how he was astonished at how intimate the atmosphere was, even though this restaurant is right on one of Winnipeg's main thoroughfares and has 3/4 windows around the entire seating area. He is right and one has to be impressed if a man noticed!

Dinner was just the way it should be in a fine dining establishment, and others have commented on the leisurely pace. It is one of my pet peeves, patrons that go out to, what I call a "boutique" restaurant and complain how long it took. Seriously? When I want fine dining, that IS my evening out. If you want fast, go to a chain. We chatted with both our servers, extensively, to me another joy of these small private establishments. They are conscious of developing a relationship with patrons, knowing we WILL return. When the topic of speed of the dining experience came up we were advised that they only do one sitting an evening...so if you make a reservation at 5:30 PM they will NOT take another reservation for that table on that day. You might be told that there may be table available at 8 but won't reserve. Merveilleux!

Our meal was wonderful, although I admit I was disappointed that they were out of the duck. C'est la vie, it's one of the things that can happen at a small establishment and means I have to go back. My steak was perfectly cooked medium rare, tender and deliciously seasoned. Hubs raved about his escargot appetizer, and my one taste of his large portion was amazing, cooked to perfection, tender without any of the "rubberiness" that occurs too frequently. Wish I had room for more but was saddled with my own large allotment of "drunken mushrooms" which I didn't want to forgo. Homemade frites were crispy and light, chef's selection of vegetables a fascinating combination of parsnips, squash purree, asparagus and broccoli. Hubs raved about his Bourgonion and he almost ordered his own Creme Brulee instead of sharing mine it was so good. Light and delicate.

We will re-visit and highly recommend you check it out.

Reviewed 8 March 2014

Last night my wife and I had an opportunity to dine out for a date night. It does not happen often for us due to lack of child care. We were really excited and wanted to go somewhere where we had prior positive experience. The short list included La P'tite France and 529 Wellington. We decided to go with La P'tite France, and made a reservation. We arrived on time and were seated promptly. Our waitress seemed friendly enough and asked for our drink order. We asked for 2 glasses of water and I believe this is when our service took a turn for the worse. My wife and I belong to a visible minority group which is known to be poor tippers. Our reason for not ordering any drinks is because my wife is pregnant and she cannot have alcohol, but I believe this may have been misinterpreted by our waitress as a sign of being stingy. We had a chance to browse the menu and made our selections. Our waitress came back with our water and began presenting the specials of the day. We advised her that we were ready to order and she began taking our order. However half way through she heard the front door open and interupted me to excuse herself. She then cleaned the table beside ours, sat the customers that just walked in, took their drink order, brought them their drinks, took their food order, and put it into the kitchen. My wife was furious about this but I told her to give the waitress a chance. Well wehen the waitress came out of the kitchen she started cleaning other tables and performing other tasks, completely ignoring us. We waited for a total of half hour since she sat the customers that came in after us and our waitress did not so much as to give me another look. At that point we felt unwelcome and unwanted. We got up to leave and only then the waitress came over to apologize. She didn't do or say much to convince us to stay so it is more apparent that she wanted us to leave. We drove straight to 529 Wellington where they were able to accomadate us on short notice and save our night.

Now maybe I am too sensitive and lack solid evidence to say that the waitress was racist, but there is no denying that the service was subpar and unprofessional. Needless to say I will not be returning, and for some reason I don't think they will miss my business.

3  Thank Tony W
Reviewed 14 February 2014

My wife and I had a groupon coupon to use at this restaurant, and it seemed that most of the diners also did. We had a 18:30 reservation and were seated upon arrival. We started with the warm baguette and house marinated olives. For an appetizer my wife had a Caesar salad and I had Uncle Kiki's escargots with bacon, mushrooms and brandy sauce which was entirely different from any other escargot appetizer I've had but great! We both chose Le Beouf Bourguignon au Style Bohémier which came with fresh vegetables and a choice of rice or French fries, which we chose. The French fries were home made and really added to the dinner. The braised beef ribs were tender and flavourful. For desert we shared les tartelettes au pomme. The entire dinner was very enjoyable and I would recommend the restaurant as long as you don't mind a drawn out meal. Our check was presented at 20:30 which meant we were there for 2 hours as we noticed so were everyone else.

Reviewed 8 February 2014

I've been here before - food was very variable. Some times wonderful, some times average. First time I ever agreed with Marian W @ the Free press!
This time, according to the server, the owner does not cook the meals.
Hearing this, I was a bit concerned.
We decided to order the "special". Share an appetizer, any main, and the olives/ bread and a shared dessert were complimentary. The esgargot were good, but a tad over salted.
We both had the duck. I can't remember the sauce, but it was wonderful! Dessert was profiteroles. Great, with ice cream chocolate sauce, and almonds.
our last time our server was the sister of the original chef. She was knowledgeable, personable, and efficient. This time we had a new server. She did not like our request to have a second cup of coffee because it was close to closing. However, she agreed (What else could she do) We did stay 10 minutes after the closing.
I'm told that the original server works Friday/Saturday. That's the time to go.
The food was wonderful.

Reviewed 12 December 2013

We go as much as we can, always enjoyed the service, atmosphere as well as the classic french dishes which are always served perfectly. As a foodie & pastry chef myself I am quite critical, but haven't had a reason to complain yet. This restaurant is at the top of my top 10 in Winnipeg & I always enjoy bringing friends to share the experience.