“Sparkling oasis, but on a ridge adjoining golf course”

Sparkling Hill Resort
Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Vernon
Reviewed 21 December 2012

Sparkling Hill Resort is awesome in beauty, a different world with a reclusive escape from our busy world. Perched on a mountainous top, adjoining the Predator Ridge Golf Resort, the structure is solid and enhanced with floor to ceiling windows and engraved with 3.5 million crystals from Swarovski elements. Take your camera to tour the premise, which encases several floors, an impressive restaurant ambience, 40,000 sq. ft. spa, and the ultimate in guest rooms. It's mission would be to refine "wellness' by the many therapies and treatments offered. It includes a library, convention centre, and the outdoors in its surroundings has many walking trails. Even an over-nighter will feel renewed and refreshed by the peacefulness and fresh air. It is a 4-Season Resort, and I would enjoy reserving the experience of each season in this beautiful setting.

Room Tip: Upper floor, lakeside
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ROCKON64
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Sparkling Hill Resort

Reviewed 19 December 2012

Sparkling Hill is a resort connected to the Swarovski crystal company and theri crystals are key decorative pieces throughout the resort and the room. This is an European spa environment for adults with may choices for guests - several types of saunas including a herbal sauna, salt steam, rose petal steam, an ice room, - all developed with the European practice of going from hot to cold to hot. There is also a large therapy based whirlpool, a walking pool, etc. Of course massages etc are available as well as a -110 Celecius therapy room. There are great hiking trails and magnificant views as the resort is built at the top of a small mountain overlooking Lake Okanagan. A great restaurant tops it all off.

Room Tip: Great rates if you travel in the off season - ask for their special when you call in.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gene C
Reviewed 17 December 2012

The pool in the morning was so peaceful, and swiming out to the outside pool was quite invigorating. Looking over the lake from there was breathtaking as well. with the morning clouds hanging low. The servers in the resturant for supper and in the morning, for breakfast, were profesional which was very pleasant. I had a wonderful restful time with my husband who works everyday. They have free Wifi. Be sure to drink lots of water while taking part of the many saunas of all kinds. It was heavenly bliss. Thank you for the great service A-1 all around! I will be back, and have told all my friends too.

Room Tip: I am sure any room would be wonderful
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Joanne P
Reviewed 14 December 2012

We won a package to Sparkling Hill at a Charity Fundraiser.
Three times we contacted the front desk to book this, and requested to upgrade our package to a bigger better package, and of course, purchase the upgrade.

VERY strangely. It takes over a week for answers, and we are first told that we are not allowed to buy upgrades? They say they have to check with the manager if we are allowed to buy an upgrade - and then never get back to us!

And then when we clarify that we want to stay for more than one night, and to pay for that we are ignored.

This is my last attempt to contact them and seek out the manager before selling this. Sadly we were really looking forward to this for our anniversary - All hotels allow you to purchase upgrades, and of course for a special event like a 22nd anniversary - we wanted to pull out all the stops and expenses.

What is even stranger is our package is FULL of the sheets for the upgrades we could choose from???

Still have not been able to book in and my husband thinks we should drive all the way there to address this and get our booking!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank dooodog
Reviewed 13 December 2012

My wife and I visited Sparkling Hill back in the summer of 2010 and it was magnificent. We have been to many high-end (Adult oriented) spa resorts around the world over the past 10-years and this was the best we had ever visited. The amenities were top notch, the food was magnificent and the service unparalleled. We were looking forward to returning at some point in the future and we did.

In July of this year (2012) as a surprise for my wife's birthday, I had booked a deluxe room on the 3rd floor with the 'flex room' (sitting area on the side of the room) with unobstructed views of the mountains, truly an amazing room. We went down to the bar after arriving at 4:00pm on Friday and it was hot outside, so we sat inside and waited to order some drinks. It took the waiting staff forever to get to us. We soon remembered that the service in this part of the resort was the same (crappy) service that we experienced in 2010, but no big deal - we were there to relax and have a drink before dinner.

We went for dinner and the meal was satisfactory, however, the service from our waitress was excellent. She had a great sense of humour and she did everything she could to ensure that we enjoyed our dining experience and we did. We retired to our room with a cheese plate, to sit and enjoy some of the wine we had purchased at a nearby winery, looking forward to our next couple of days of R&R. The views and scenery from the sitting area were awesome and we went to bed relaxed.

At 3:00am, we were woken to the sounds of a screaming (and I mean SCREAMING) child. I called down to the front desk and told them of the ongoing disturbance and they said they would send someone up. The screaming continued for the next 20-minutes, then subsided for approximately 5-minutes. Then, it sounded like someone was murdering a child across the hall, so we called down again. We were genuinely concerned for the child's wellbeing. They sent someone up again to speak with the parents and the screaming continued, so they offered to move us at around 3:30am.

We agreed to be moved, re-packed all of our things and proceeded down the hall to our new room. The room was much smaller and was facing the parking lot, which was lit up like a baseball stadium. We weren't happy. We were under the impression that this was an "Adult Oriented" (i.e. no young babies) resort - that's why they charge $500/night, at least this is the way this particular resort is advertised.

We finally got back to sleep at around 4:30am and woke at 8:00am feeling like we'd been given the short end of the stick, not to mention, tired as heck. I called down to the front desk and asked if there was any way to move to a room similar to the one that we had booked and the girl told me she would 'do what she can' to find something. I figured we should give them a chance to right the situation. An hour passed and no call, so I called down again to check on the status. I was told that the General Manager had not yet arrived and it was 'His Call' to move us. I waited another 30-minutes and we decided that our intention to have a relaxing weekend was now not going to happen because the mood had changed in a big way.

We went down to the from desk to check out and the girl charged us for the room at a reduced rate of $200 for the night. We drove 4-hours from Vancouver to be woken up at 3:00am by a screaming baby (who apparently was teething - poor little bugger), moved to an inferior room with stadium lights blaring into the window (with a great view of the parking lot) and all for the reduced price of $200! I asked them if they would like to slap me in the face for an extra $100, but they declined. I requested that they have the GM call me so that I could inform him of our experience, and we drove back to Vancouver on the Saturday morning vowing that we would NEVER return to this place.

What Changed so drastically in 2-years?

We didn't hear back from the GM for just over 2-weeks. When he called me, he apologized for the mix-up and told me that they DO allow kids, they just try to urge their guests not to bring them. That is NOT the marketing message we received. Nice to know, would've been nicer to know before we booked a $1,200 retreat for 2-days. I can find other resorts that are child free for that kind of money. We have two young children of our own and we LOVE kids of all ages, but we were escaping for some Mommy and Daddy time, and that wasn't what we signed up for.

The GM proceeded to tell me that they had a wedding booked that weekend and it was one of the guests in the wedding party that brought their baby. They let it go because it was a large party that had booked and it was a big piece of business. Don't you think they could have managed the logistics a little bit better by keeping the wedding folks with kids separate from people like us?

He then said that "If you find yourselves in the area again, I would be happy to comp you for a single night's stay to make up for it." WOW! Where do I sign? You mean, you're going to reimburse me for the night that I paid to be woken up and ruining my wife's Birthday weekend getaway, just so long as I drive an additional 8-hours in a 24-hour period (on top of the 8-hours we already drove the last time to be treated like s!%t)?

NO THANKS. Talk about adding insult to injury.

I think they have changed the management team since they opened in 2010 and now nobody is running the show. The service is insulting to say the least. I have experienced better service at the HOJO Inn. I would NEVER return to this place EVEN for one week's complimentary stay, it's just not worth it. It's a shame, because they spared no expense with the building of the facilities, it truly is a thing of beauty. What a waste of $122Million. Nice work!

What is that saying? You can put lipstick on a pig....

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Chris L
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vernon
Prestige Hotel Vernon
#3 of 20 in Vernon
Central City
Best Western Plus Kelowna Hotel & Suites

Been to Sparkling Hill Resort? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK