“World Class Resort in Okanagan”

Sparkling Hill Resort
Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Vernon
Reviewed 8 December 2011

My husband and I spent a weekend in November at the Resort. Our room had a spectacular view of the lake through the floor-to-ceiling window, and the natural decor and colours added to the serenity. We enjoyed the indoor salt water swimming pool, outdoor infinity pool, hot tub and various saunas. The spa area is amazing, as was our couples massage. A high point was our dinner. We decided on the chef's selection 5-course, which was outstanding. While the sandwiches at the Barrique were very tasty, the pastries with the coffee and at breakfast, did not match the high standard to be expected at such world class resort. As locals, this could be a very special spot to take visitors for coffee.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Dalene V
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Sparkling Hill Resort

Reviewed 7 December 2011

Great location, interesting ultra-modern architecture, wouldn't ever expect it to be near Kelowna. Staff are good, all rooms are nicely appointed.

The spa is the reason to stay here. It's one of the best I've ever experienced. Loved the "adults swim hour" around 9-10pm...we participated!

Hotel is a 5 star, spa is a 7 star.

Room Tip: Preferred the valley view to the lake view. YMMV.
  • Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank WorldBizTraveller
Reviewed 7 December 2011

My husband and I went for the weekend to rest, relax and "take in the waters". We were not disappointed. From the moment you enter the lobby, beneath the incredible architectural feat of a crystal, you are treated like royalty. The staff are welcoming, friendly and most courteous. There are home made Austrian Cookies or Strudel or Stollen beautifully presented for you to take, at the check-in counters.
The decor is simple but beautiful. Swarovski Crystals are everywhere to be seen...the chandelier in the dining room is made of crystals that are strung in the shape of Lake Okanagan, in the ballroom they are strung in the shape of maple leafs....
The rooms are beautiful. We had a room overlooking the lake and the view was spectacular. The room is nicely furnished and the beds are exceptionally comfortable. The bathtub is placed such that you can still enjoy the view and the free standing shower has a rain and a conventional shower head. The room is nicely appointed.
But, you don't want to stay in the room...the Kur Spa is the place to be. We had the mud and muscle treatment which was a mud wrap and then a deep tissue massage. The mud was only on my back tho, I was expecting it on my legs and tummy too...
We also tried the Ice Box. This is a chamber to relieve arthritic and joint pains as well as to make one feel generally better. You go in with a "guide" and move from -10 degrees Celsius to minus 60 degrees Celsius in ten seconds and then you go into - 110 Degrees Celsius for three minutes. It is so unbelievably cold...but....we came out invigorated. I felt so energized...I felt i could have gone out to run a marathon!!! It is certainly worth a try as it is the only one of its kind in North America right now.
The sauna area is out of this world...there are seven different saunas that you can go in and out of...all of varying temperatures and humidity levels...and all beautifully designed and big enough to accommodate about 18 or 20 people at any one time. This area is clean and quiet and very well maintained to make sure your experience is perfect.
There are two pools, one indoor and one outdoor. They are both heated to a comfortable temperature. The outdoor pool is an infinity pool with a great view. There is a large hot tub as well as the very European style of Knipe Pool where you walk slowly through warm and cold water alternating as you walk, to stimulate the circulation while relaxing the body..and the mind!.
The exercise room is well maintained with good machines. There is a large "serenity room" for quiet time...reading or meditating as well as a large " tea room" where one can lounge but talk quietly if you want to.
The staff are always there to clean and check on the facilities but so quiet that you never hear them. They are most friendly and helpful if you need them.
The food was excellent. The dinner was outstanding and the service was superb. Breakfast is a buffet and nicely appointed with a small yet wholesome array of healthy food.
There are beautiful trails around the property for nature walks or runs and they are well signposted.
We left there feeling sooooooo relaxed, rejuvenated and pampered. This is truly paradise. We are telling all our friends about this wonderful place...we shall be back.

Room Tip: the lake view room are beautiful and the view is awesome, however, the hotel is dug into the side of...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank MAMCalgary
Reviewed 5 December 2011

My family and I attended the resort for a weekend of rest and relaxation, and we were not disappointed. The saunas and steam rooms were amazing. The salt water pool was the perfect temperature. The spa area was beatifully maintained. Our dinner was out of this world. The service was marvelous and the food really was exceptional . We will be back. Thank you Sparkling Hill for the wonderfull weekend. PS Our rooms were third floor lake view, again perfect.!!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank WearyBones_10
Reviewed 2 December 2011

Our wedding ceremony and reception dinner was held at Sparkling Hill Resort. Having never been to the resort until the day before our wedding, we were a little nervous of the experience. The physical features of the Resort exceeded all of our expectations and we were pleasantly greeted with good customer service starting off with complimentary valet parking, pleasant check in and Bell-Man Service.

We stayed in the Anika Penthouse Suite and once again, this exceeded our expectations. Everything was very clean and new. The views are unreal with the full ceiling to floor windows that overlook Lake Okanagan. The bathroom was a delight with some special features like personal sauna, heated toilet seat, dual shower heads, deep soaker tub and more.

The bed was a very high end memory foam mattress with nice linens. I found the gas fireplace to run sparatically.

Our spa experience was overall really good. Upon our arrival, they didn't have our consultation booked in the calendar properly, so when myself and bridesmaid arrived for our hair and make-up appointment they only booked enough time for myself. When I showed them the schedule that the spa had sent me with both appointments, they were confused. The situation didn't exactly inspire confidence. That being said, they squeezed both of us in for our consult and our appointments before the wedding went off without a hitch.

If you are getting flowers, I used Harris Flowers in Vernon. She was wonderful to deal with but when I received everything only about 1/2 an hour before the wedding itself, the colors were wrong, wrong flowers, all the white flowers were old with a lot of brown on them, pin was sticking out of the stems where you would hold your bouquet...it was very unfortunate. Nothing like dripping blood from your hand in a very large white dress only minutes before you do one of the most nerve intense moments of your life. Not the hotels fault, but she is one of their recommended vendors to choose from.

We were married in Gernots. This a little cozy room on the lower level. Everything was set up exactly as I had asked.

Food and beverage:

Ceremony - We arranged for champaigne and appetizers for right after the ceremony. The serving staff didn't seem very experienced and were not ready to serve after the ceremony. I practically had to yell across the room, 'we're ready!' The appetizers were ok, not great, ok.

Reception Dinner - Originally we had arranged for our dinner to be in Gernots, but what wasn't explained to us at the time of booking is that the kitchen 2 stories up and food has to travel a long ways to get to you. For this reason we decided to do the dinner in the restaurant. I was very specific how I wanted the table organized and it was not set up the way I had asked. We ended up choosing quite a fancy dinner amous bouce and 5 course for $100 per person. We were really happy with the quality and the taste of the food. But once again the downfall was in the serving staff. Our dinner was only 14 people, all 14 had a standing place card in front of them with their name and only one person had special requirements. Jen, will only each chicken or beef and has an alergy to all seafood. The menu was prepared over a month in advance and the chef had prepared special selections for her. When the 'duck' amous bouche arrived and was placed in front of Jen, I mentioned ot the server all of the details again. She acknowledged my statement and left the amous bouche. I thought that was ridiculous. 1st course arrived, pan seared fois gras, again the server placed a plate in front of Jen. Again, I mentioned to the server Jens requirments. Again the server was going to leave the plate there. This time I had to take the plate and place it in her hand and request for something different. The 2nd course arrived, Sea Scallop Gnocchi, and again the server placed a serving in front of Jen. Again, I took had to mention to the server Jen's details. At this point, this isn't even something that she doesn't care for, it's something that can kill her. The server arrgued that there was no seafood in the dish and that Gnocchi is a pasta. I had to read to her from the menu what the dish contained and that the Gnocchi was not pasta, but scallops cut to the size of Gnocchi. After these incidents, the servers finally figured out who Jen was and started to bring her the correct food. For such a small group (14), paying upwards of $230 per person including wine, I found the serving to be appaling. At the end of the evening my new husband congradulated the kitchen staff on a job well done. His standards are high as he is an Executive Chef himself at a 4.5 star resort.

Buffet Breakfast: Fantastic breakfast! Loved it and had excellent service every morning.

Check Out: This should be simple and flawless as I had pre-paid for everything in advance. However, I was double charged for all of the incidentals.

This resort would be unstoppable as one of the best in Canada if their level of service matched their amenities. The spa is like none other that I have visited. I highly recommend this resort to experience, however, beware if you are planning a special event communication and service are needing a big improvement in some areas.

Room Tip: This resort would be unstoppable as one of the best in Canada if their level of service matched thei...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ShannonRoot
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vernon
Prestige Hotel Vernon
#3 of 20 in Vernon
Central City
Best Western Plus Kelowna Hotel & Suites

Been to Sparkling Hill Resort? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK