“Absolutely delicious! Super friendly!”

Omakase Izakaya & Sushi Bar
Ranked #224 of 1,256 Restaurants in Victoria
Reviewed 13 September 2016

We are so happy we came across Omakase - great staff, super friendly. The chef very nicely accomodated our omakase request after the designated hours as a special treat for our honeymoon. All the food was delicious, the salmon tataki was amazing but then again so was everything that we got. A wonderful assortment of dishes, delivered at the perfect pace. We enjoyed the house sake and the whole place came together to make this a super memorable meal for the last night of our honeymoon.

Reviewed 12 August 2016

We just had the most amazing dinner! We had family visiting from the Shetland Islands and wanted to make sure they had a really memorable dining experience. We ate Omakase style - the chef chose all our food for us - and it was fabulous. So fresh and such great flavour combinations! Kudos to Shingo-san - excellent!

1  Thank Camrich13
Reviewed 11 August 2016

I went here for the first time after my husband's insistence that it was sooo yummy but also a neat experience. While not normally an adventurous sushi eater (I tend to stick to rolls and not sashimi) I was nervous.

Shingo-San (head sushi chef) is the sweetest, most knowledgable sushi chef! He made us so many amazing things, including:

Seared fatty tuna (forgot proper Japanese phrase)
Salmon Sashimi (ermergerd! although I'd ask for less sauce next time)
Caterpillar Roll (again, ermergerd!)
Tuna Tataki (one of my husband's favs, but I didn't like how thick or big the pieces were, but I'm fickle)
Beef Tataki/Sashimi (forget which it's technically called)

And then, Shingo-San made the biggest, most epic roll I've ever seen. Even the wait staff was laughing and ooh'ing amd ahh'ing. He sliced it and gave each couple at the sushi bar a slice, we didn't know how to go-about eating it. But eat it we did!! It took four bites for just one slice, whereas Shingo-San and another sushi guy ate the 'ends' in one mouthful! It was delicious and I have no idea what was in it!

Can't wait to return!

Reviewed 29 July 2016 via mobile

I love sushi and always try to find a good place. This is always difficult. We visited Omakase for lunch. First of all it is operated by people from Japan- important feature for a good sushi place. We talked to chef about importance of good quality rice - it is good here. Hamachi toro was superb. My friends enjoyed their tempura, crispy and light. California rolls have real crab meat , not the fake crab. Overall very good impression. One wish - your green tea can be better.

1  Thank sonostrov
Reviewed 14 July 2016

head chef shingo really gives the place lively, fun character. highly recommend the "omakase" if you are comfortable with sushi. he will prepare a unique multi course meal for you. the staff are gracious and the atmosphere relaxing. enjoyed everything.