“Great Location But Then Falls Away”

Carriage House Bed & Breakfast
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Victoria
Carriage House Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #49 of 92 Victoria B&B and Inns
Reviewed 6 October 2011

The location is just a few minutes to downtown, which is hard to come by in Victoria. However, upon arrival the initial feeling is disappointing because unlike other properties in the area, the presentation is very poor-basically no garden (where the norm is for gardens to be a highlight) and rough path to front door. Greeted with a warm welcome by Naoko. Had an upstairs room with ensuite. Stairs are narrow and similar to European style. There was no offer to assist with luggage as Dan was preoccupied with their child. Good queen and single beds but this takes up most of the room space leaving little area for luggage. There is a tiny bench with kettle; the bathroom is attic style and one person only; the water is hot and the fan quiet with good ventilation. Curtains are not bad; there is some floorboard noise and noise from downstairs travels up and vice versa. Decor is inconsistent and low grade. There is 1 eating area downstairs(to accommodate the 4 rooms - not sure about the outside cottage). Breakfast is average however, the prior advice of special diet met with a note to purchase our own items and they would be refunded. A receipt and product was left with the B&B but no refund was supplied. No consideration was given for an early departure. The hosts kitchen and office areas are as messy as you would see anywhere and that was indicative of the general cleanliness.
Overall, location is the prime asset and most other aspects were disappointing. We would look elsewhere on our next visit.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank KirraMelbourne
dan-naoko, Owner at Carriage House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2011

Thank you very much for your comments. I'm sorry to hear you were not happy here.

I believe the main issue is money for your "special diet" breakfast.

Yes, I asked you to buy something for your own breakfast. We have gluten-free homemade bread, muffins, granola, etc., (because one of us
is sensitive to gluten) but you said you have more than just gluten sensitivity, apparently including even honey and fruit. When I realized the
severity of your health problems I thought it was better for you to get what you know you can safely eat.

I prepared a breakfast for your early morning departure, as you requested, and I believe you consumed it. I asked if you wanted me to
remove the bread from the freezer so you could find it easier but you said no need to do that. I also asked about tea and you said you would
make it yourself. So, I gave you permission to access our private living space in the early morning hours for your personal convenience.

As for reimbursement, I discounted your room price from the twin rate (as you used two beds) to the double rate (using one bed) which is $10
less per night--more than the cost of the food items you purchased.

Did I forget to tell you about this discounting? If so, I apologize for the lack of communication.

It may be true that our private living spaces are not always as neatly kept as the spaces we offer to our guests. As for other issues, I don't say
I agree, but we are always trying to improve our place and make guests feel comfortable in our home.

--Naoko Yamamoto

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Carriage House Bed & Breakfast

Reviewed 29 August 2011

excellent location in the area and in an historical Victorian house and very close to town center; very convenient to stay in a separate house with kitchen when staying with kids,..... but cleanliness of pillows, carpet and overall house did not meet our expections. Breakfast was also not abondant (had to ask for any additionnal toast or cup of coffee) however the hostess and husband were very nice, friendly and the stay was overall positive.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 March 2011

I have stayed with Dan & Naoko at their Carriage House Bed & Breakfast for many years now. They are consistently helpful and friendly while providing a very comfortable stay. The location is an easy walk from the downtown area in the attractive James Bay neighbourhood with its tree lined streets and heritage homes. From the B & B you can easily walk to Beacon Hill Park, the Empress Hotel, shops, restaurants, the Island Bus station, the floatplanes or cruise ships. Dan & Naoko provide a very nice hot breakfast and if you need any helpful hints, they are eager to please and to make your stay in Victoria memorable.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Gema28
Reviewed 18 October 2010

We stayed 2 nights at this B & B and found it to be comfortable and very will situated. The rooms themselves were a bit dated (and no TV) but otherwise comfortable. Breakfast was lovely both mornings and the hosts Dan and Naoko were really kind, helpful and informative. The best thing about this B & B is its proximity to the city centre. Entirely walkable to the city whilst being suburban at the same time. Unusually for a stay in the city, the only traffic that awoke me was the sea planes above!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 October 2010

Very convenient location, we travelled to Victoria by bus/ferry/bus from Vancouver airport and it was an easy walk to b and b from bus depot down near harbourside area. Victoria is a delightful place, very picturesque and a trip to Butchart Gardens is definitely worthwhile.
Dan and Naoko start you off with a great breakfast, perfect host and hostess.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple