“Very Happy With this Pick”

and 1 more site!
Robert Porter House B&B
Ranked #26 of 92 Victoria B&B and Inns
Rock Hall, Maryland
“Very Happy With this Pick”
Reviewed 23 September 2011

Picked the Robert Porter House mostly for location and it was perfect. Only a block or two to BC Museum and Parliament buildings and Harbor. This property not good if you need an elevator, as there are steps to bedrooms and also parking, which was free in a garage nearby. Was traveling with my husband and a friend, so we had 2 rooms downstairs. The rooms were well furnished and comfortable with electric stoves. Private entrance through attractive garden area - very private. The breakfast was amazing - fresh fruit and yogurt each morning plus eggs, or an omelet, or waffles plus sausage or bacon and warm danish. No need for lunch. The carpet to the downstairs rooms was soiled from wear, but otherwise the place was spotless.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank travelerRH
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Hebrew first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 14 September 2011

We booked the Robert Porter House for a relaxing weekend in Victoria. Our goal was to be able to walk to all the downtown areas. The location is perfect.. but set far enough away from the noise of the city.
The house is a charming heritage home.
Our room was beautiful, spacious and clean. It has a small private balcony.
The underground parking was secure and convenient.
Breakfast was good.. but not as spectacular as some B&B's we have stayed at.
That said... I would indeed stay here again.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rootsandwings55
Sydney
Reviewed 12 August 2011

My husband and I was driving to Vancouver from Seattle and stopped in Victoria in Aug 2011 for a night. We booked this one since all the other highly rated B&B on Tripadvisor were all fully booked. The house was previousely managed by a British lady but now is managed by the owners. Basically, there are 5 ensuites in the house. 4 of them are underground (below the living room). One is on the 1st floor (top of the house). The one on the 1st floor is lovely with a spacious living area and a large bathroom. The one that we stayed is underground which is quite dark and can only accomodate a queen sized bed. The bathroom has some strange smell. The car space is free. I guess the B&B rents a few car spaces from the property next door. The underground parking does not have a lift to go to the ground floor and it has 20-30 stairs. Again, the B&B doesn't have lift inside the house. We had to physically move our luggages down to the room (which involves 20 stairs). So we don't recommend this place to the old couples or people with disability. In the room, they provide a fan to cool you down at night but we did feel a little hot at that night. The breakfast was okay. They provided a fruit plate with yogurt, toast, sausages, crambled eggs and tea/coffee for the breakfast. Location-wise, it's close to the harbour and 2 mins drive from the ferry if you are from Port Angeles to Victoria.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank LoveTea
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 27 July 2011

Having booked a Suite in this B&B through EasyRez for a Christmas visit to Victoria. I called a few days in advance to change my checkin time. When I was speaking with the woman she informed me that this was not run as a b&b during the winter and there would be no breakfast. There was no mentioned of this anywhether on the Easyrez website that I found. I wasn't pleased but it was a little late to try and find another place that close to Christmas. When we arrived on Christmas Eve I we were shown to a room, I beleive one of the "Beacon Hill Suites" that did not have the amenities I had booked, including no jet tub. When I questioned the woman who let us in she claimed it was an ungrade. I told her it was not and that I wanted the suite that I booked. She advised that it was the only room available because all the other suites were rented out by the month. I asked to speak to the owner and was given her phone number. When I was speaking to her all she said was that they had changed how they ran the facility and forgot to tell me. She did offer me a 15% discount which I took because it was all that I was going to get. However, this was not about money! I was booked a beautiful suite to spend Christmas with my husband in and did not get it!
After I returned home I wrote to Robert Porter House to let them know how unhappy I was and copied the letter to EasyRez and BC B&B association. I also advised EasyRez when they emailed me to ask about my stay at Robert Porter House. I had absolutely no response from EasyRez and they continue to advertise the Robert Porter House as a B&B on their website. I also noticed that my review was not posted with the other reviews even thought they go back to 2006. I did get a response from the BC B&B who advised that Robert Porter House was no longer a member and had been advised to take down the Association's signage. I will never use EasyRez again or stay at the Robert Porter House.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Mhoggan
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Reviewed 16 June 2011

We arrived just before dinner and were greeted by Ann, our "hostess with the mostest", who ushered us in and made us feel instantly at home. Our room was wonderfully comfortable and had a private patio. Ann's hospitality, friendliness and meal preparation add tremendously to our rating of 5 stars. We enjoyed our stay and when we left were a bit sad - we arrived as strangers and left as family. We highly recommend the Robert Porter House with its lovely Ann.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple