“Hotel restaurant ”
Review of The Dining Room

The Dining Room
Reserve with OpenTable
The Dining Room is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #234 of 1,284 Restaurants in Victoria
Price range: US$ 9 - US$ 36
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

The tiny restaurant in the Oak Bay Beach hotel is pricy but serves good food however felt like we were keeping them up as they couldn’t fit us in until 8.30; it lacked any sort of atmosphere. With no other option but drive, ensure you make a reservation in advance if you are staying at the hotel. Wine was very expensive but beer is typically priced for a hotel.

Reviewed 4 January 2018

This small dining rooms turns out delicious meals with innovative yet traditional flare. We had the Christmas day dinner and 2 other meals there while staying in this beautiful hotel.
Their bread is delicious and the food arrives hot. My husband found the beef to be delicious and the veg served perfectly done. I enjoyed the mushroom past and delicious crab cakes.
Watch the croutons on the caesar salad though- very hard and may be a risk for vulnerable teeth.

Otherwise, a wonderful dining experience. Would eat there again in a heartbeat.

1  Thank Bobbi S
Reviewed 19 November 2017 via mobile

Went here for a late breakfast and ordered an appetizer and Eggs Benny. The Benny was small but the potatoes were good. Usually the appetizer comes before the meal but apparently not at this establishment.. the view is great and the staff is friendly but for the price you would expect a little more.

1  Thank Devon H
OBBH_Team, Manager at The Dining Room, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2017

Dear Devon H,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review of our dining room.
My apologies for service error during your visit. Appetizers, of course, should come out before a main dish, even over breakfast. I will be sure to follow up with our morning service team.

Reviewed 9 November 2017

We dined here on a Saturday night and again the following morning.

First dinner - it was probably the best meal we have had in Victoria in five years. The pasta was not only cooked to perfection, but the flavors of both the lamb ragu and the seafood pasta were unique and complex. We will be back to enjoy this again.

As for breakfast, it fell very far. My wife's French toast was dry - it obviously hadn't been soaked for long enough. My toast was cold by the time i got the measly two preserves I requested - even though every other diner in the place had multiple ones to choose from. We won't have breakfast again - especially given the high price point.

Don't miss dinner here -- but do skip breakfast.

OBBH_Team, Manager at The Dining Room, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2017

Dear jasonakeenan,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review of our dining room, and thank you also for spending your "staycation" with us.
The tale of two dining experiences...
We greatly appreciate the exceptionally kind words with regards to your dinner experience in our dining room, and I would like to apologise that your breakfast the next morning came up short in multiple areas. Your compliments and, more importantly, your feedback has been shared with our culinary and service teams.
If you would care to return for breakfast I would welcome the opportunity to host you again. I can be easily reached at csealey@oakbaybeachhotel.com.

Reviewed 10 October 2017

Fine dining is a combination of; food, service and atmosphere.
Entering a dining room to find only one of the tables set and all the others cleared and being set for breakfast, gives the guests the feeling that you're the last table of the night and your experience isn't as important as earlier diners.
If a dining room takes reservations for a later seating, the dining room needs to be a dining room.
The food also seemed as the kitchen was in a rush to put up the last meal and call it a night.
Service was friendly, and engaging.

2  Thank Stuart W
OBBH_Team, Manager at The Dining Room, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2017

Dear 154914Charlie,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience in our Dining Room.
Please allow me to offer my apologies, and to let you know that your feedback was immediately shared with our culinary and service teams. You are absolutely correct when you say that a dining room needs to be a dining room, and our policy is that service set-up for the next day is not to be started until all of our guests have finished dining with us. I am truly sorry that this policy was not adhered to during your visit. I very much appreciate you mentioning that the service you received was both friendly and engaging.
If you would care to speak further I can be reached at csealey@oakbaybeachhotel.com.