“Attention to detail makes all the difference”

Magnolia Hotel And Spa
Ranked #2 of 52 Hotels in Victoria
Southern Pines, North Carolina
“Attention to detail makes all the difference”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2012

I can't say enough good things about this hotel. The hotel is conveniently located near the city center and numerous attractions. The breakfast buffet is awesome, and the personally made fruit smooothies were really over the top. The service, professionalism, and sincere hospitality by the hotel management and staff made our vacation to Victoria a truly memorable experience.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (339)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Rome
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2012

I must start by saying that by all standards this is a very nice hotel and we were really looking forward to staying there. Location is central and close to shops and amenities, the rooms are bright, spacious and equipped with a number of thoughtful additions that really make you feel welcome as soon as you arrive.
Unfortunatly for us this hotel also has an A/C system that we found especially noisy. We asked to be moved from the first room shortly after checking in and classically we were told that they were fully booked for the night and so couldn't be moved. The next day, after a sleepless night and a phone call from the travel agent who organized our honeymoon, we were offered a room upgrade although we didn't ask for anything of the sort as we were just concerned about getting some sleep and all we wanted was for the constant humming to off. The noise issue was slightly better in this second room but still not ok and in the end we were just relieved to be leaving the place. Apart from the A/C problem, which I appreciate cannot be solved overnight, what really annoyed me was the attitude of the hotel staff. It took a phone call from my travel agent to be moved and when I enquired the next day if anything could be done a guy told me "Yes, now we have given you the best room of the hotel" as if we asked for it. Second when we checked out another person i hadn't seen before called me by name and unsmilingly asked me "how was our night this time". I find this pretty rude, also considering that we didn't spend our whole time complaining with the hotel staff about the room

1 Thank Ollivander1978
, Manager at Magnolia Hotel And Spa, responded to this review, 21 June 2012
Dear Ollivander1978,

Thank you for your recent stay with us at The Magnolia Hotel & Spa.

Congratulations on your recent wedding, and thank you for choosing The Magnolia during your visit to Victoria. I appreciate your taking the time to share your feedback and the kind words about the caliber of our hotel.

I am truly sorry that noise from our air conditioning units caused the level of discomfort as it did during your visit with us. I can also assure you that had there been a room available on your first night stay your room would have been immediately moved to another room. I am sorry that the room move had to be on your second night, and we were hoping that our Signature Diamond view room would provide a wonderful experience on this 2nd night.

With respect to our air conditioning, all of the equipment nearby your room location has been serviced and reviewed by technicians since your stay and are operating properly at this time. I apologize again that noise from these units caused issues during your visit.

I sincerely hope that the balance of your honeymoon to Canada was wonderful.

If I can be of personal assistance at any time, please contact me at gm@magnoliahotel.com

Bill Lewis
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2012

I frequent Victoria a few times a year for business and personal and this is absolutely the best little hotel in the city. Cant beat the service, quality and location. If you can get a room on the 7th floor as they come with great views and high ceilings.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank Quattrorocket
Sequim, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2012

Stayed two nights at the Magnolia in a Signature Corner King Bed room, #706. Every inch of the room was first class and the attention to detail is outstanding. Very nice touch to provide eight pieces of Rogers Classic Chocolates in the room. Our room was on the front of the hotel and offered a nice view of Victoria in spite of the high buildings in front of the structure.

The Magnolia is located within a block of the famous Empress Hotel on the harbor in Victoria. All of the downtown attractions are within walking distance. We opted for the $20 valet parking to secure our car under the hotel. That was a good idea with the unlimited in and out privileges.

We were impressed with the friendliness of all of the staff from the valet parking attendant to the front desk team. Breakfast was included in the rate and was very nourishing. Also, the free Wifi was very fast.

We picked the Magnolia based on the ratings and comments in Trip Advisor. I always read the low ratings first of highly rated hotels. It is sad to me that all of the low rating are more than three years old. I learned that the new General Manager started three years and from that point forward the hotel has been superior. Good management does make a difference! Liked the hotel so much that we decided to book another stay in a month.

Room Tip: Ask foir a upper level room. The 30/30 rate is a good deal. Valet parking is important to get your v...
1 Thank ronvoyage
MagnoliaHotelGM, General Manager at Magnolia Hotel And Spa, responded to this review, 14 June 2012
Dear Ron,

Thank you for the very kind review about the hotel. I am thrilled that you enjoyed your stay and it was truly a pleasure to speak with you in the lobby as well as meet your travelling friends from Australia.

Most importantly, I truly appreciate that you contacted me via email in advance of your visit to let me know of the special circumstances of your stay. Our hotel strives for exceptional personalized service, and I always welcome hearing from guests directly in advance of their visit if I can be of personal assistance. Thanks again!

I very much look forward to your future visits to our hotel including your stay next month.

Best Wishes,

Bill Lewis
The Magnolia Hotel & Spa
Email: gm@magnoliahotel.com
Needham, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2012

Hotel is very well located to explore downtown Victoria on foot.Our corner room was large and comfortable with a great view. Staff was excellent, included continental breakfast varied and good. Our experience could not have been better. Even the weather was good!

Room Tip: We were glad we spent the extra money for a corner room.
1 Thank HMC633