“elegant evening”

Ranked #9 of 93 Victoria B&B and Inns
Gabriola Island, Canada
“elegant evening”
Reviewed 31 March 2012

I thoroughly enjoyed this bed and breakfast. Room 2 in the guesthouse. I lounged around in my white cuddly complimentary housecoat, and had a bath with the jets. The fireplace was a nice touch. The elegance and attention to detail was soothing. Noise wasn't a concern. The breakfast in the morning came in a nice basket with everything I had ordered. I wish there had been some milk for the granola however. I enjoyed the complimentary beer & chocolate tasting at the restaurant. Wi-fi worked well and I aim to take my girlfriend for a runaway there real soon. I would and have recommended this spot to my friends already

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Reviewed 28 March 2012

Nice place, a bit hot on the top floor even in March. Nice breakfast of home baked muffins and scones

• Stayed March 2012
Maple Ridge, Canada
Reviewed 19 March 2012

My husband and I stayed at Spinnakers for our honeymoon this march for 2 nights.

We paid quite a high rate at approx $260 per night for our Dine In package which included a three course dinner, breakfast for the 2 nights stay, a cheese plate and a beer & truffle tasting.

The garden suite we stayed in was in need of an update. The carpets and furnishings were old, and bathroom needed to be completely remodelled (outdated soaker tub and plumbing which would change the water temperature back and forth from scalding hot to ice cold).

The cheese plate we received was a dissapointment as well as the three course meal. However the breakfasts of home made granola were decent and the craft beer was delicious. Also, the views and location are beautiful.

Another thing that upset me was the fact that no one acknowledged that we were on our honeymoon even though I told the staff upon booking.

I wouldn't stay at Spinnakers again unless these issues were addressed (i.e. pricing, updating, food quality). However, I recieved an email back from Claire Radosevic (front desk & marketing manager) saying that she was immediately looking into updating the suites and that she would pay for our next stay if we decided to come to Spinnakers again for a second try.

I will post a new review once we have had our second stay to let people know if the conditions improved.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
san jose, ca
Reviewed 25 February 2012

My husband and I just spent 3 nights at Spinnakers as part of a kid-free vacation. As a whole, it was a really enjoyable experience--although this is not for everyone! If you like non-corporate, quirky places, this is for you. I found the staff really accomodating--if there's something you don't like, let them know and they will try to fix it.

We loved the breakfasts (I don't know what they do to the scones, but they are magical), the large bathroom and the fact that it had a fan, the giant tub, and the wood-burning fireplace. The wifi was a plus, and on a morning when I needed to get some work done (unfortunately) and it was acting up they let me sit in the restaurant and use the wifi there before they opened. I know in a previous review someone complained about the breakfasts, but that person must be crazy or the breakfasts must have improved immensely, because everything they brought to our room was delicious. I do wish there had been some sugar for my coffee. Maybe I just missed it?

We had a package that gave us a discounted rate for 2 of our nights plus a meal at the restaurant and beer/chocolate tasting. It was a great value, and the food was delicious. Try the pub cheese--it is wonderful! I also enjoyed the meat pie and roasted vegetables. The restaurant tries to support local agriculture and farming, which I also appreciated.

Be aware this is not in downtown Victoria, but the walk (at least as long as the blue bridge is still there) is doable.

Suggestions for improvement:
1. The bed was not all that comfortable. I find most hotels have very firm mattresses, and I'm not a fan. They obviously had tried to fix this by putting a foam mattress topper thing on the bed, but I still found it too firm.
2 . Post something to let guests know how to operate the jets in the jacuzzi tubs. I thought ours was broken and was happy just to soak in a big tub, but when I mentioned it to the staff I found out there was a 2nd switch I needed to flip on. I had no clue! Unfortunately, I didn't get another chance to use the tub.
3. Guests: select your room wisely. I found the photos online to be extremely accurate. What I did not count on was the noise from the road, which was only really an issue in the early morning. If you want to sleep late, choose a room at the back of the house or bring some earplugs.

I would love to return to Spinnakers again in the future! Next time, though, I will choose a room in the back of the house. :)

Room Tip: Look at the website--the photos are very accurate. There is traffic on the road in front of the hou...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank stlogan
Vancouver Island, Canada
Reviewed 20 January 2012

$250.00 for the suite, add an extra $50.00 for the dog (outrageous!) for the grand total of $300.00 for a suite that is worth, $85.00 (maybe)
This place is old. As soon as you open the door a waft of mould and stale air greets you.
The glue down tiles in the bathroom are coming up.
The handle of the bathtub was/is broken.
Taking a soak in the tub is awesome, taking a shower is terrible, unless you like the cold, wet shower curtain clinging to you.
I spilled water out of the tub getting out, so I cleaned it up with a towel, what a dirt on the towel, disgusting!
The sofa needs to cleaned, actually make that replaced.
It is located in the middle of a residential area, no night life besides the brew pub.
You need to drive to get anywhere to explore Victoria. (Very out of the way)
Was not impressed with the service at all. The girls need to take a lesson in how "not to make the customer wait" while they are discussing their life.
Old coffee grounds in the coffee machine.
Did I mention the $50.00 for the dog?....(still recovering from that one!)

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple