“Back again”
Review of Surf Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Victoria
Surf Motel
Ranked #31 of 49 Hotels in Victoria
Reviewed 18 October 2011

Stayed again recently in the 3 bedroom cottage back from the main motel building. For a travelling family, the space was handy and the amenities good. Great location as well. Free wireless internet was patchy so far from the motel though.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank nosunbunnyme
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 17 September 2011

Stayed here my last night in Victoria, wish it had been longer. The views simply cannot be beat. The staff were very friendly and helpful - although my room wasn't ready they let me leave my baggage in their office from early morning onward. I think the womans name was Ingrid, very kind people. Wifi service was perfect, bed was super comfortable, kitchen and bath were as retro-funky as the lobby. I don't drive but there seemed to be plenty of parking and a marina restaurant across the street that served up a good breakfast. Being right on the beach was just fabulous. There is a identification card in the room so you can see what kind of ships you're looking at even from a distance, and the mountains across the water are just breathtaking. Lovely to stroll along the breakwall near where the cruise ships come in, right across the street. My one complaint would be that the desk area doesn't have a grounded outlet so if you're looking to plug in your laptop and work, you may need to do that in the kitchen. Whatever, it was perfect.

Room Tip: Call ahead. Although they say all rooms are excellent, I think the views from the top floor are best...
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Cookietheviking
Reviewed 8 August 2011

This was the second time I stayed at the Surf. Both visits were great and The staff was friendly and helpful. This trip I took my son and his family and they loved the motel and the view of the ocean. Staying here is a little trip back in time for me, I just love the pink bathrooms! If you are looking for a fast paced ultra new motel this isn't for you. This is a clean well taken care of property and it's close to all of the Victoria tourist sites. "Baby Boomers" like myself will relate to the nostalgic feel of this property. I will definately stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Nannymary123
Reviewed 5 August 2011

We stayed 2 nights at this small, retro-style, oceanfront motel last week. We loved almost everything about the place. Perfect location, balconies with ocean views in every room, very clean and great housekeeping staff. I'd love to give the Surf 4 (maybe 5) stars, but won't due to the gruff and unprofessional night staff.

The hotel advertised wifi. I planned to be able to check client emails from my room at night as I always do when I travel. When I arrived and found that the wifi wouldn't connect on either of my devices. I spoke to the front desk. after verifying that the login info he'd given me on a post it note was correct, he shrugged and said he couldn't help me. A few hours later I finally decided to call the night manager who was even more unconcerned and cavalier, to the point of being downright rude.

I was told by the far more professional day manager that the wifi has a very weak signal in the room where I was staying, room 310.

I could have lived with the fact that there was no internet in my room as advertised, no warning of the fact when I made reservations, but the surly and disobliging staff is why I won't stay here again. I travel constantly and rarely leave a review unless it's positive. I'd like fellow travelers considering staying at the Surf to know that the wifi may not be included as advertised, but more importantly, some of the staff here are unhelpful and unpleasant, to put it mildly.

Room Tip: If internet is important to you be sure to reserve a room that actually can connect to the hotel wif...
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
6  Thank heyguise
VicCityKid, Manager at Surf Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2014

Thank you very much for taking the time to review the Surf Motel.

I'm glad you enjoyed the view, location, and cleanliness of the room. We do pride ourselves on are fantastic housekeeping staff.

We have made substantial upgrades to our wireless network. All of the rooms inside the Surf Motel have a strong connection. I apologize for the staffs rudeness and the way he dealt with this issue. I can assure you that the new staff in place would never treat customer complaints in this matter.

If you have any others comments or if I can be of any assistance please give me a call.
Riley Mangelsen
SurfMotel.net
Stay@surfmotel.net
1.888.738.3399

Reviewed 14 June 2011

My daughter and I stayed at the Surf Motel for two nights and were very impressed with the service from the staff and the cleanliness of the rooms. The rooms were comfortable and very clean. All of the rooms in this motel face the ocean which is right across the road from the motel and you have beautiful views of the ocean, the sunset and the ships that are going by. While we were there two cruise ships docked within a block of the motel. The staff is also considerate enough to supply a sheet which shows all the larger ships that you might see so you will know what they are. We were also told to bring our binoculars with us because sometimes you might be lucky enough to see some of the sealife out in the ocean.

• Stayed: June 2011