“Change of Name and Management for a Much-Loved Bistro”
Review of Le Bistro de Paris - CLOSED

Neighbourhood: Robson Street
Cross street: Robson
Transit: Robson at Denman and Georgia at Denman
Reviewed 2 July 2012

We have been eating at this Bistro since the 70's under various owners and names (Cafe de Paris and, latterly, Bistro de Paris). Over the years, some visits were great, some mediocre and some unacceptable. Glad to say this new incarnation is a hit. Nice, clean update of the decor, a pared down and inventive menu, super talented kitchen and attentive service ensure we will continue to visit. We had a Stella Artois (draft would have been preferred) so can't comment on the wine list For starters, we both chose the delicious-sounding appetizer special: 2 types of mushroooms on Brioche toast in a white wine sauce, topped with a poached egg. It was divine. This was followed by a well prepared Bistro staple, Steak Frites, and a tasty Roasted Port Tenderloin. Good Luck! You're off to a great start.

Reviewed 16 June 2012

Decided to dine at this restaurant with family and the whole night turned out to be a great time.
Had a great time with our family as well the food we experienced was just amazing. The special that night was Boneless Beef Shortrib with roquefort cheese crust...OMG, amazing. Two of us had this and thoroughly enjoyed the meal. Someone also had the Pork Tenderloin and another had the order of Muscles. We all really enjoyed the main course. Oh almost forgot the appetizers. One was a cheese fondue, and if you like good and sharp cheese, was very good! Someone had a very nice salad and the other some type of seafood. Overall, the food was great and the company of course, perfect. The wait staff was plentiful and yet not on top of you. We were somewhat early diners but the place filled up very fast. Now I can see why. Parking in the area is at a premium, but behind this location are about three spots for the customers..good luck with that, but well worth the effort of parking. One could consider it pricey but if you want quality food and service and not just an average experience, then go for it. No 'scenic view' but go opportunity for people watching on Denman Street.

Reviewed 9 March 2012

Hadn't been to this restaurant since the late1970's when we would come into town from West Van with a French friend for the heavier Bistro fare. Now downtown empty nesters surrounded by new restaurants, we noticed it listed in Dine Out Vancouver, and went. The dine out menu didn't appeal, so I ordered the Salade Nicoise, and my husband the Bouillabaisse, which he said was very good. We split a hamburger and chips, which was also good. The pièce de ré·sis·tance, my Nicoise, was incredible. Seared sushi grade tuna (as good as Blue Water Cafe) atop lovely greens, with the usual fixings of egg etc, and with an assortment of the best, plumpest olives I have had, even when visiting the Middle east. I must ask where they get them. Liked it so well, we went back the very next week for me to have the salad again (same excellent quality), this time with a French Onion soup which was, as most are, too salty for my taste. A fantastic plus: there is free ample parking in the back lane, almost unheard of in the West End. Actually, now I am worried you will all rediscover the restaurant, and next time I want to drop by at the last minute, all the parking spaces will be gone, and the tables full. I can't speak to the quality of dishes others have found lacking, but know what will draw me back again and again. I felt the prices for what we had were reasonable.

Reviewed 5 March 2012

This used to be a place where we could find the taste of Paris we longed for. The frites (French fries) were - and still are - delicious. But something is different. I don't miss the haughty French (and French Canadian) waiters, and the ubiquitous Edith Piaff music is still there (why oh why must we be punished with endless Edith Piaff when there is so much other good French music?), but it's different somehow. The food just is not as good as it was ten years ago. But as for the toughness of the meat - if you order even a filet mignon well done, it's not going to be tender.

Reviewed 5 February 2012

Had Dine Out menu at le Bistro de Paris recently. The service was very good and the atmosphere was fine. The food was okay but not great. Prices were fine for Dine Out but would be overpriced otherwise.