“great value , friendly helpful staff, great location”
Review of Hotel Ambassador

Hotel Ambassador
Ranked #81 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed 27 September 2010

Apart from the lack of a lift, we couldn't fault the rooms, cleanliness and service at the Granville Grand. It amazes me that people expect 5 star accommodation from a truly budget hotel. After 2 1/2 months travelling all over canada, we found The Granville the best in it's class.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank nicki495
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 12 July 2009

3½ stars, totally.

Since our flight arrived in the evening and it was way past regular check-in time (I had sent an e-mail where i asked for extended check-in time) I was expecting problems but there were none, the guy at the reception was really nice and truly intrested in what we had to say. All the rest of the staff which we encountered during our stay were also very polite and helpful. And as we were checking out at the end of our stay, they kindly stored our bags in their office since we had many hours til the departure of our flight.
We were aware of the shared bathrooms and showers, this was clearly stated on the site were we had booked our stay. The guy at the reception also took the time to mention this.
The room we were given fit our needs quite well, after all we were there to see Vancouver, not the four walls of our hotelroom! Equipped with a big double bed (sheets clean, bed neatly made), wash basin, fresh towels, TV, fridge (big plus atleast for me) , big fan and a safe (another big plus) the room was just fine, atleast in my opinion. Both of us were travelling with big suitcases and there was plenty of room to leave the suitcases open without tripping over them. The door locked fine, and the window was easy to both open and close. Our window was even equipped with a net ( good thing since we had enormous seagulls and other birds parading on the roof just outside our room, so beware of birds, hehe.), so we felt comfortable leaving it open during the day when we were gone. Housekeeping worked fine, our bed was made and our towels were changed almost every time we came back after a long day out. I didn't mind the times this didn't happen since i don't change my towels back home every day either!
We didn't use the kitchen, but I think that was a great facility which they had to offer. I had a quick look inside when the door happened to stand open and everything looked very clean and functioning.
Now, I understand that someone may find the sharing of the bathrooms a problem, and of couse it would have been nice to have an en-suite, but this system worked fine as well. Locks to both shower and toilet worked just fine. And during our 3 week stay, I qued to shower and toilet maybe once and that was for max. 5 mins, so no complaints there. When sharing a shower or toilet it's just common scence not to occupy it for like an hour, and people did seem to remember that.
We had breakfast every morning, except for one or two when the whole street was suffering from a power breakdown. These mornings the staff apologized and were truly sorry for the inconvenience. There's a 7/11 and a Subway-restaurant just down the street towards Granville bridge, so it's not a long walk to get some quick breakfast.
Anyway the food at G sports bar was nice, as was the staff and the bar itself. (Once we returned home I developed a huge craving for pancakes and maple syrup after having had it almost every morning, he he)
Laundry facilities were also easy to use and cost just 1 dollar per wash, but haning the clothes out to dry was a little tricky since there was actually no place to hang anything in our room. But it worked out eventually.
Location was great, close to cinema, library, shopping, eating, theatre and much more! And the drive to and from the airport didn't seem too long either.

The only minor complaints on my behalf were the noise from the bar below (can easily be solved with earplugs) and that there wern't always dry towels to stand on stepping out from the shower, that's it really.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Candycloud
Reviewed 28 June 2009

The Granville Grand offers European style accomodations, which means shared bathrooms. There are two full baths per floor (men/ women) and two half baths; individual vanities can also be found in the room. In general, our room was pretty acceptable- clean sheets; a dresser, TV, and mini-fridge. However, there was no closet but a triangulated bar from which to hang clothes, no air conditioning, no cable TV, and not-so-plush towels. One knock is that our room was not cleaned and we had to ask for fresh towels. As far as wireless, there is free WiFi from selected areas within the hotel, as well as pay-per-use desktop computers. There was a lounge area with a flatscreen TV; a kitchen area; and pay-per-use laundry facilities. They do offer complimentary breakfast at the adjoining bar- your choice of 1 of 3 breakfast options from the bar menu, which was surprisingly good (but coffee/ soft drinks are not included...how can you not include coffee??). The staff are very nice and friendly, which is a plus, considering some of the other more established hotels where we stayed in downtown Vancouver.

The bottom line: the accomodations, while sparse, are what you would expect for the price. if you're looking for downtown accomodations for a place to sleep while you venture around the city, then this would be acceptable. As long as you are comfortable with sharing bathrooms (bring your flip flops and shampoos!) then you'll be fine. I'd recommend this place (based on price/ breakfast/ location) for couples/ travellers but not small families.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Pointe-Claire
Reviewed 4 February 2009

I loved staying at this hotel. Very friendly people and excellent service. The people at the front desk are very nice. Great deal for the price you pay.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 January 2009

The Granville Grand sits somewhere between being a 2 star hotel and a very nice hostel. My room, and others that I saw, were large, with Queen bed, wash bashin, TV and storage closets and rails.

There is one shared shower (and toilet) and one toliet per floor, a shared kitchen (equipped with 2 microwaves, a large oven with four gas burners and pretty much any cutlery of kitchen equipment you might need), a shared lounge (with large Plasma TV) and a 'WiFi' Lounge (a shared computer and desk for people to use their wireless devices at - the wireless didn't work consistently through the building).

I was shown around before I checked in, so was made fully aware of the shared nature of the facilities. The staff were polite and helpful.

If you are looking for somewhere cheap, but nicer and more private than a Hostel, then the Granville is a good bet. The location is really good, and there are deals with the nearby 'G's Resturant & Grill' (which I ate at tonight - food is good and they have sports on the TVs).

It so happened that I needed to check out earlier than I'd anticipated, but the staff were helpful and sorted everything out for me.

So in summary - it's not the ritz but it doesn't claim to be. For a short or medium stay in Vancouver, you could do a lot worse, just come with your eyes open.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank rivvorz