“Growing Pains”

Ranked #56 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Toronto, Canada
“Growing Pains”
Reviewed 9 April 2012

The hotel has a great location. Close to many amenities and downtown Vancouver. 15 minute away from the Lions Gate Bridge.
The hotel is going through extensive renovations. So my experience was a little skewed. The things that were not reno related are the following:
Extremely slow internet connection.
Pay for printing in the very public business centre. Most hotels have this service for free and in a quite, contained room.
Parking is very limited and the spaces are extremely small. Be prepared to find alternative parking after midnight. The cost is $22/night.
The elevators are slow.
The walls are thin – I heard the occupant next door blowing their nose and rolling out the toilet paper.
Huge gap between the door and the floor allowed every noise to be heard.
The cable was not available 100% of the time.
The staff was very helpful and management did send a welcome basket.

Room Tip: Don't choose a room that looks on the alley.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Kris S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Vancouver Downtown, responded to this review, 19 April 2012
Dear bibi_azim:

Thank You very much for your feedback, we value each comment as it helps us improve our services.

Your comment on the internet connection is a challanging one - our internet services is password protected to ensure only hotel guests have access to it, but we are also streaming data usage to ensure each guest is able to access the wireless connection. Should you experience any issues in the future please do not hesitate to contact our front desk associates right away.

We are currently checking into the Cable TV issues, this service is provided by a Third Party and out of our control, but nevertheless the Third Party needs to provide our guests with top service as well!

Again Thank You for your feedback and we are looking forward to welcoming you again once our renovations are completed to show off the "New Holiday Day Inn"

Kind regards,
Kris Szylowski
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
  • Korean first
Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed 6 April 2012

My brother and I travelled down to Vancouver and had the priviledge to stay in the great downtown hotel location. We were exploring the city for the first time and it was so central to everything. Stanley Park was not too far of a walk, we got to see different areas of the city and we didn't have to drive.

The Front desk made us feel very welcome and we had a great room. They are undergoing some renovations right now that is going to make it even better. They are a top notch hotel and provided really amazing service. Thank you for a great stay Holiday Inn and Suites Vancouver Downtown, we will certainly be back!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Jenn683
Fredericton, Canada
Reviewed 6 April 2012

Like most of you, I'm a member of a limited number of hotel loyalty programs so I like to stay at them when it makes sense to do so. So picking a Holiday Inn for me made sense and it was close to my contact. It was also well priced.

Pros: Good value for the dollar, I paid $109 and $119 and that's good anywhere let alone for a major downtown hotel. It was very clean. There are a number of coffee shops in the area and a few local eateries which turned out to be quite good. It's a very short walk to the Granville Entertainment section although parts of the street are somewhat sketchy. Yaletown is a few blocks away. It's also easy to get to the hotel if you use the Skytrain but you will have to walk several blocks. That might be an issue in rainy season. The decor has been updated to a degree and the bed was very comfortable.

Cons: This is an old hotel. Lighting levels are poor and the room design reflects it's age. Very small bathrooms, the closet is open right next to the bathroom, small sink. They still use the old tube TV's. I also found the walls to be thin as I could hear conversations quite easily.

That having been said, the weekend I was leaving the hotel was booked out. There were traveling teams in for the weekend. It's also a favorite for Canuck fans who where in for the game. So for business, not so great, but for this type of clientele it might be a good choice.

Georgetown, Canada
Reviewed 28 March 2012

I have stayed at MANY Holiday Inn and everything about my stay was not impressive.

location is not very desirable, between the pan-handlers, adult shops and poor view, I wouldnt venture very far at night.

Staff picks up phone promptly. I forgot my toothbrush and they brought one up pretty quick.

Major stains on CARPET, grout, paint and all sorts of crap (see photo)
room smells like paint or adhesive
resturant under renovation
old tv in room

Internet performance will range from;
400 kbps download, 70 kbps upload
10 Mbps download, 4.55 Mbps upload

Bathroom:
shower head too low, had to position it practically horizontally to wash my hair - and I'm only 5'10"
had to jiggle the toilet lever to stop the toilet from running
have to really turn the shower valve tight to stop the water
scratched tub with grout spots and other construction damage

No airport shuttle

Called the front desk to ask if all the rooms on my floor are in this condition and was told yes.
Emailed the manager to complain Monday night

Breakfast is a fairly typical layout - i had the buffet. i think I will just grab something on the way to work - should be way much cheaper.

Monday I asked maintenance to come up and fix the toilet, I have to constatntly jiggle the handle to stop the water from running. They were at my door before me, so I let them in and left to get a bite

When I returned, my luggage and laptop bag was missing, so I called downstairs and after 20 minutes, got a call back that they moved me to another room. I checked my drawers and my clothes were still there. I checked out the new room and 1000% better than my current room. The manager emailed me about moving me - about 30 minutes after they moved me. No mention of any kind of reimbursement for my troubles. So much about that comment from the front desk that all the rooms are the same.

Tuesday AM, no paper this morning in front of my door, but everyone else seems to have one. I grabbed breakfast from the MANY places on my way to work, about half the price of the hotel meal.

I understand they are renovating, but even this is too much

1 Thank Churchill_Fortunato
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Vancouver Downtown, responded to this review, 28 April 2012
georgetown_minky,

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave us a candid review. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry you received service which was unacceptable. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve. We hope that you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Ben J
IHG Care

Travellers are raving about these Vancouver hotels

Victoria BC
Reviewed 21 March 2012

We stayed here for one night before an early morning flight. We got our room for $50 plus fees (total $66) on priceline. The original price is about double that. Check in and out were quick and easy. The room had two double beds which were nice, with numerous pillows. There's something a little down-market about the place, with a table piled with t-shirts for sale in the lobby, but it was clean and we slept well enough until the middle of the night when the guests next door decided to have a lengthy conversation. Poor soundproofing. In the bathroom you could mistake something being said in the neighbour's room with a sound from your own room. Location was great and it was 10 minutes walk to the direct train to the airport. The first train of the day was at 4:52 a.m., which we caught and were in plenty of time for our 7:10 flight. Would probably stay here again at $50 a night, but not at full price.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends