“Kissed by bedbugs head to foot” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Century Plaza Hotel & Spa

Century Plaza Hotel & Spa
Ranked #44 of 89 Hotels in Vancouver
Orange County, CA
“Kissed by bedbugs head to foot”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2012

I was in Vancouver for business and checked in late evening Friday 4/20 given room#605 (special handicap access room). I briefly inspected the room and noted it was outdated, wall mirror was loose from its frame, shower knob did not work. Since a clean comfortable bed with a decent gym (which the hotel does not have) were my only travel requirements, I was fine with the room. Saturday morning I woke up with red marks on right wrist and didn't think much and dismiss inital suspesion of any bedbug bites and went to work. I spent 2nd night Saturday in room605 and woke up with red bumps 1 on right forehead, 2 on right eyelid, 2 on right chin, several on right neck and right forearm and 10 on right hand with, I went down to front desk to ask for a different room, and she asked if I was allergic to something (food, shampoo or soap), I told her no - because red bumps are all on right side, nothing on left arm. Since I travel for work a lot I knew about bedbug bites (they occur linearly). She handed me 2 laundry bags and I packed ALL but my work and exercise clothes into them and left them in the old room for them to pick up. Since it was a Sunday, I would not get my laundry back until Monday afternoon, so I wore the same clothes for two days. I was then moved to room 906. I was also put in touch with Tim the manager on duty that day, who told me that they will have a bug specialist to come in on Tuesday to validate my claim. He gave me a $20 voucher for breakfast. The next 2 days I waited anxiously, worked and slept itchly. I refrained from scratching the bites but they were itchy and and sore the same time. I checked out on Tuesday 4/24 and was informed the the front desk manager Nicci that the bug man did find 1 bed bug - a big guy. She refunded my "parking fees" ($20+ per day) only for the 4 days and when I asked her about comping for the rooms, she said she would only comp for the 2 first bug nights and not the 3rd and 4th nights and not the parking. Basically, I would get either free parking or free 2 nights (I also had to pay a $50 meal/drink at the hotel restaurant). I did not want to make a scene, so I left the hotel and called Hotwire whom I booked the reservation. After explaining my situation and gving names and details, Hotwire immediately agreed to refund my entire reservation because their promise to their customers to "clean rooms". Koodos Hotwire.
I rarely take the time to write a long review but this time I feel the need to exercise my right to review and help out fellow travelers. I have mixed feelings about this hotel and how they handeled my situation. I tried to only give facts and you be the judge. Their immediate taking care of my laundry and moving me another room - thumbs up. Not comping for my rooms and trying to slice between bug room nights or parking - thumbs down. In my opionion, they did not do enough to compensate my suffrering. I came home Tuesday night still unable to sleep due to the itch. I went to see my doctor today and was prescribed three meds (antihistamine, cortisone, and antibiotics) for itch, swelling, and infection - yes all these from only 2 nights of bugs.

Pros - food and service were fantastic in the lounge. Breakfast waffle was amazing. Maybe I was so upset with the bites, I manged to finished an entire waffle all by myself. Hotel staff is generally friendly and helpful. Hotel location is close to the convention center and Robson St.

Cons - parking expensive like all hotels in downtown. Might have bedbug encounters.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
13 Thank JWLOrangeCounty
Century-Plaza-Hotel, Guest Relations Manager at Century Plaza Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 27 April 2012
Dear JWL,

Thank you for your review.

We are very sorry for the circumstances you encountered this past weekend. Having provided you with the option of finding you alternative accommodations for the remainder of your visit, I want to personally thank you for deciding to stay with us in another room instead.

I do want to clarify a couple of things for those guests who may be scared to stay at our hotel because of this, however.

It's a misconception that bed bugs are only found in places that are dirty. Bed bugs are an unfortunate and common occurrence in many major cities throughout the world and they are impossible to avoid, regardless of the level of cleanliness. Most hotels & resorts in Vancouver have had at one time or another, an incident.

Our housekeeping associates have a very rigorous inspection list that is double checked by supervisors that they must go through before a room has been marked as clean. They are also trained to look for any signs of bedbugs and your particular room did not exhibit any of these signs on initial inspection. In response to finding signs, it is our policy to fumigate at least 2 times and put a room out of order for 30 days to be extra certain that we contain any possible situation.

We want to assure our guests that this in no way has any direct reflection of the cleanliness or quality of our rooms.

The steps that we have taken with this particular room are as follows:

-Replaced all of the furniture.
-Fumigated twice.
-Taken the room off sale for at least the next month.
-Inspected all rooms within the vicinity just to be sure.

This is not the type of situation that we take lightly and we have taken every step possible to eliminate the issue.

Thank you again for taking the time to write us a review. We hope that given the opportunity, that we can accommodate you again in the future.

Best regards,

Marshall Mills
Guest Relations Manager
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (486)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012 via mobile

Nice hotel, with spacious rooms. Everything you need...nice modern lobby. Walking distance to Robson and Granville. Convinience stores nearby... Very nice staff. The only con I could mention about this hotel, is the hospital nextdoor. The noise of the ambulances might be disturbing to lightsleepers.

• Stayed July 2011
1 Thank Mtymx86
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012

this hotel is centrally located and close to SkyTrain and within walking distance to many sights. The staff are friendly and the food is good. Breakfast is extra but the menu is reasonably priced and there is good variety. The rooms are a bit dark and dated but clean - think brown carpets and orange furnishings. Overall good! The spa is nice, kinda pricey by European standards but regular price for Vancouver. The bar does good specials for happy hour. You will find that Vancouver is an expensive city so don't blow the budget on expensive accommodation, the Century Plaza does just fine!

Room Tip: Ask for a better room or one that has been refurbished recently.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sinead P
Kamloops
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012

I booked this hotel through Hotwire for my daughter and I. It is one block from the Sutton Place, right beside St. Paul's Hospital, on Burrard. Close to Robson shopping, Granville and Yaletown. An older hotel but clean, large rooms, ours had a kitchen. Parking is half the price of hotels elsewhere in the area.

Room Tip: Chose the north side of the hotel, view is of Robson and mountains. Other side is the hospital, can...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank pickypatKamloops
Sidney
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

If Vancouver BC is your destination, you'd be hard pressed to find a better, more central, well priced hotel. Close to all of the downtown attractions and every area of interest is walkable...handy including the Robsonstrasse shopping area, sports arenas etc.etc.etc. Unfortunately our visit was to meet a specialist at the hospital next door. The staff could not have been more courteous and helpful. The restaurant food was very good, service attentive. Parking was on site too, although we had to pay the usual Vancouver rates, it was nice to know that secure parking was available on site.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business