“Great location. Friendly staff. Great rooms.”

The Pinnacle Hotel Harbourfront
Ranked #39 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed 20 July 2012

We stayed here prior to our cruise to Alaska. First off the location cannot be beat. It is right by Coal Harbor and within walking distance to Canada Centre. We enjoyed walking around the float plane terminal and marinas.

The room was very comfortable for our two kids (11,13) and ourselves. The view of North Vancouver and Grouse Mtn was excellent. We made use of the workout room and pool which were both acceptable. The hotel proved to be VERY quiet on our floor (eighth).

The staff and the restaurant staff were very friendly and helpful in trying to decide what attractions to see and how to get around town. We opted for the "Big Bus" which is a hop-on, hop-off open air or double-decker tour bus that goes all over town. It stops right in front of this hotel. Can't beat it.

When the date of our cruise arrived, we simply walked a couple of blocks to the terminal. No problem!

I would definintely stay here again.

Room Tip: Choose the harbor view
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank damous
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 17 July 2012

We stayed two nights here and loved being so close to the harbor and in downtown area. Cesar checked us in and helped us throughout our stay. We booked through aaa.com and got a hot deal that included breakfast for an extra $10 a person per day. Well worth it $26 reg price. Parking was more expensive than published due to $7 tax. Went on hop on off bus, spent time in Stanley park and Granville island, purchased frim marriott hotel and cost for 2 days was cheaper than 1 day advertised, took sunset dinner cruise.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank CinAndy
Reviewed 14 July 2012

I was really disappointed in the front office staff of this hotel. We had booked with my husband's corporate rate, and since he didn't have his badge we were charged a premium for our room. We had gotten upgraded since we are both gold members, and they even tried to charge us for the complimentary upgrade. The way that the front desk guy handled it, was so insulting, that we felt like we were not welcome. This hotel is really nice, in a great location, but service is everything. I left with a bad taste in my mouth, and I will definitely not stay here again. Horrible service.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank flygirlpa
Reviewed 13 July 2012

As a Platinum member I frequently stay in Marriott/Renaissance hotels all around the world. My last stay at the Renaissance in Vancouver was back in 2006. So it was time to come back but unfortunately it didn't live up to my expectations and the usual brand standard.

Front desk: It was a very unemotional welcome, no greeting by name, no special welcome as plat member. Front desk or bellmen did not ask whether we need help with our luggage (had 4 suitcases). Furthermore, it took several conversations with front desk to receive the $50 voucher that was part of the room rate. At check out, they did not ask how our stay was. On the positive side we received a nice suite upgrade.

Maintenance: There were problems with our window which was apparently not properly fixed in its frame resulting in a gap of about 5 millimeters that went all the way from top to bottom. It was quite cold and loud as a result during the first night. It was reported immediately but not fixed within a day and we didn't even receive an update or a message on the status. We had to go back to front desk and report it again before it got fixed (and still not 100%). Housekeeping just entered our room without knocking on the first morning (despite that the 'Do not disturb' sign was up) and did not even apologize.

Maintenance: The jacuzzi in the healthclub was dirty and the entire fitness and pool section is quite outdated and could need some refurbishing.

Executive Lounge: The lady in charge for breakfast was clearly not happy with her job and made sure all guests in the lounge felt her discontent (complaining loudly, clearing up breakfast dishes with a lot of noise). Also she started taking down the breakfast already 10 minutes early and without informing the few guests in the lounge to see if they still would want something from the buffet. On the good side: the breakfast selection was pretty good with hot and cold items. Also the evening hors d'euvre were pretty good, even a hot soup was offered.

Service on the phone: Today I called the hotel to ask for my invoice to be send via email as I didn't receive it yet. When I requested a split of the bill (and after I already gave my credit card number and spelled my pretty short name several times) my call got forwarded to the managers office but was immediately picked up by voice mail only.

To summarize, we were quite happy with the room and its ammenities (very comfortable bed). The rooms have recently been renovated and the bathrooms were looking pretty good too. Unfortunately, structural upgrades on the windows, the small balconies (which were really dirty) or the heating/AC system have not been done. The thermostat was a blast from the past Honeywell model from the 1980s and even only had a Fahrenheit scale. I know the Fahrenheit system quite well but Canada changed to the metric system in the 1970s, so in 2012 I would expect something else...

I mostly stay with friends while in Vancouver but should I have the need for a hotel it will certainly not be the Renaissance again. I have much better experience with the Marriott across the street as well. And there are quite a few more nice hotels (Fairmont Pacific Rim, Shangri-La) available.

Room Tip: The rooms facing W Hastings St are subject to more street noise and the air condition system from th...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank gonknoggin
Reviewed 11 July 2012

I usually don't start a review talking about the service, but I think the staff at the Renaissance Vancouver really deserve some positive attention for this. Every single staff member I encountered, from housekeeping to fronk desk to restaurant, were very welcoming and helpful. The front desk staff went above and beyond in helping us figure this city out, as this was our first trip to Vancouver. The location is great...right on the waterfront, right in the downtown area, easily accessible to public transportation, and within 15+ minutes walking distance to Davie St, which has clubs, bars, and lots of ethnic restaurants. Many of those restaurants were late night, including a sushi restaurant open until midnight!
We drove our own car so we used the self-parking garage, which was very convenient and easy to access from the hotel. I felt a little better about paying 23 dollars per night because of this.
I ate one meal at the restaurant but chose to eat elsewhere for most other meals. The service was impeccable and the food was delicous. The prices weren't bad either.
My room was nothing special...a bit on the small side...but it was clean and comfortable. We did have a partial waterfront view, which was a nice touch. The tiny balcony was a bit odd. It was nice to have a balcony BUT the balcony was so tiny only one person could stand on it at a time and if you have even a moderate-sized butt, forget about being able to close the door while out on the balcony! Luckily we don't smoke or this would have been a pain.

Room Tip: Spring for a room with a waterfront view if you can afford it. You'll get a better view and I t...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple