“Nice location, okay ameneties, some negatives” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of St Clair Hotel - Hostel

St Clair Hotel - Hostel
St Clair Hotel - Hostel
Seattle, Washington
“Nice location, okay ameneties, some negatives”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2012

I think 3 stars pretty much sums up St. Clair. Not sure what the "hotel" portion is because what we experienced was 100% hostel.

First the positives:

Great location, walkable distance to Granville Street, cheap parking in the building, reasonable price for a shared room, provides bedding.

Negatives:

I don't know what their policy is on smoking but the whole building reeked of pot the whole time we were there. I'm not one to let this bother me if it's just a whiff here and there but this hit you right when you walked in in the evening and was still a problem in the morning. Not pleasant.

There were two restroom stalls on each floor. On our floor one stalls was out of order so we had to go to another floor to use the restroom if someone was taking a long time in one stall.

Showers were okay, no separate kitchen.

The front desk people were nice though. They have wi-fi but it was spotty.

I'm not sure I would recommend this hostel but it was okay for what it was I guess. I was just irked by the pot smell. They really should find some way to prevent that from being an issue.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank NorthwestGirl2006
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2012

It seems like there are very inconsistent reviews of this place and I guess I was hoping we would be lucky enough to experience the good things people had been writing. But our experience was pretty awful. The guy at the front desk was completely unhelpful, and didn't give us any information about the place when we arrived. Some of the things that made us dislike St. Clair:
1) The wifi is terrible. We were down the hall on the first floor and there was no wifi in our room. It took a good while for it to kick in, but only when we sat with the laptop in the corridor outside the bathroom.
2) It is unclean. A mouse ran right past me in the corridor near the reception. To me, that is disgusting. The showers were mouldy around the ceiling, and there was very little light in there.
3) There was no fridge on the first floor. We were used to having one nearby, or even in our room, but none to be found near our room or on our floor.
4) Dirty plates and cups were just stacked on a table outside our room.

The room was ok, but the bunk was extremely creaky. Had a sink in the room which was good. Our window looked out onto telephone poles in a very dirty, sometimes noisy lane. No elevators, so if you have lots of heavy luggage, expect to carry it. Nobody helped us with ours.

Some people near the end of our corridor had what sounded like a very good, loud time for a couple of hours late on Wednesday night, waking us up numerous times. That's not the hostel's fault but it sure made the experience a whole lot worse.

It was a pretty cheap place to stay but I wouldn't recommend it.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank rubyelma

Travellers are raving about these Vancouver hotels

Snohomish, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2012

I was looking for inexpensive accomodations: clean, safe, good location. St. Clair was great in that regard. The hostel was bare bones but spotless. The bed wasn't very comfortable but the pillows were soft and generous. Ventilation wasn't great and I was afraid to open the windows much because of birds outside. They had some barbs affixed to the outside sill to deter landing, but some were missing. I didn't have much interaction with the staff but the guy at the front desk when I checked in was helpful, although a bit of a "low talker". I am an older woman and felt a bit out of my element, but all in all, a positive experience.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank cindy422
Wakefield
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2012

Firstly - the reception was warm and i was swiftly checked in :o) From then it went down hill.
The corridore was dirty, dark and my room was situated at then end in a cluster of 3/4 other rooms. Outside the rooms were communal bins (full) a table with dirty pots on and a microwave.
The room was clean and bright with a bunkbed with a double on the bottom and single on top. This was rock hard and squeeked and creaked with every turn!
There was a white blind at the window which did nothing but sheild privacy as thee was a street light beaming a orange light in all night long!
On the 1st floor there were 2 toilets and 2 showers - both left alot to be desired.
With no T in the room to block out noise i was awake from 2am firstly with clubbers arriving back to crash then people waking early, using the showers adn microwave...... needless to say i promplty checked out at 9am and paid double to stay in a hotel - you get what you pay for!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank sammielollipop
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2011

I read a lot of negative reviews for this place but my friends and I thought it was awesome. We stayed two nights and were there for Halloween even. Rooms were clean, beds comfortable. Location AMAZING and service was pleasant because we were never bothered. I would definitely stay there again AND recommend to my friends.

• Stayed October 2011