“Clean Restaurant with Tasty Pho”
Review of Basil Garden Pho

Basil Garden Pho
Ranked #1,110 of 4,015 Restaurants in Vancouver
Price range: US$ 8 - US$ 15
Description: Our family-run restaurant truly puts a lot of love in our food and we pride ourselves on our exceptional service. We're dedicated to quality and freshness and we never take shortcuts. From pho broth that is simmered for over 18 hours to our fresh noodles, each element of your meal is thoughtfully considered and no detail is overlooked. Join us for a healthy, home-cooked dish in a relaxed atmosphere.
Reviewed 4 December 2017

I use to work for a company that was located in the business center diagonal across from the small "food" plaza that this restaurant was located in. It use to be a small sushi restaurant so when I was driving by one day, I noticed that it was a new place.

I love noodles in soup and while Pho is the same....for the most part, we love trying new pho retaurants so that there is option in where our family goes when we are craving a yummy bowl of noodles in tasty vietnamese beef broth. We zipped over here after a busy morning of running errands so it was our fam of 4 trying this place out.

Parking is VERY limited so be prepared to park a bit up the block and possible along a residential side street.

FOOD:
I have to be honest and realistic. Whenever we do a review for a Pho restaurant...it's usually on the soup noodles that we order. For this place, the broth was not overly salty but it's was hearty in it's flavour. I really enjoyed the broth and we liked that it was generously garnished with sliced onions, cilantro and green onions. The basil was really fresh, big leafed and super green. We ordered springrolls and it was perfect. It was too big, the wrapper was what I call "the bumpy kind - the ones we love" and the filling was reasonable. some springrolls are super tiny and it's not as satisfying when you bite into an empty springroll. We approved of their springrolls. The menu listed some really delicious looking rice dishes with drilled meats but we didn't get a chance to order any this time around. It's on our "to eat" list for our next visit.

SERVICE:
No complains on service. It's your typical cheap eats kind of service. Nothing over the top but they better than baseline in that the tables were clean, restaurant was clean and they were responsive whenever we needed something or had questions.

VENUE:
I'm not sure if it's the "all white" colour scheme approach but the restaurant felt really clean. Also taking into consideration that it's 1-2yrs old so it's not as "worn in" as some other restaurants. There is a long table in the middle of the restaurant that seats about 12 people. This is their "share" table so they will sit a mix of groups of people if the other stand alone tables are full. Be ready to sit next to someone you don't know. I think the restaurant has seating for about 20-25 people I believe. It's not a big place.

I think accessibility is possible so long as you sit at the long table because there is more flexibility in moving around and having more width and space. The tables along the wall are close together and snug.

Reviewed 2 September 2017

We went once for dishes on the menu, the pho (I think they said no msg) was really nice, and the spring rolls and chicken wings were perfect - crispy and not not overdone, we really enjoyed it. Then, we got a tip from someone who told us we can preorder special dishes, we went again and had crab in beer, pork stewed in coconut juice (yum), and garlic prawns (huge ones, texture just right, very very tasty) and a salad slaw that balanced nicely. Very friendly owner and staff. You'll need to call them a couple of days ahead so they can source the ingredients, and you're in for a treat :). Anyway, their standard fare also tastes really good and great value. Bright, modern interior too. I'd love to have that shop in my neighbourhood.

Reviewed 18 July 2017 via mobile

The restaurant looks nice, I went there by myself around 8:30pm, there are still many open tables but I was asked to sit at a table close to door which is not very nice! The Pho was ok, but the source was very simple, only some western source provided; to be honest, I have had better Pho in other more authentic Vietnamese restaurant.

Reviewed 14 July 2017

The flavour of the pho was excellent with lots of noodles and meat. More importantly, the large special was only $10. I got a large bowl of pho and everything was as expected. The broth was delicious, the noodles plenty, and the meat not too chewy. Looking forward to the lemon grass chicken next. Also, the place was packed and you had to wait 10 minutes for a seat. The only complaint is the parking. The parking lot is too small especially next to the busy Mr. Submarine.

However, the place was clean and near new. The service was fast and friendly. I will definitely comeback to this tasty Vancity East End restaurant in the near future.

Reviewed 29 March 2017

I always enjoy the pho here, either the beef or pork. Spring rolls are also delicious. I admit that I haven't ventured beyond those dishes, but the food is consistently high quality, and the restaurant is very well run. They care quite a bit, are always clearly trying to please, and it is appreciated.