“Crazy good!”

Price range: US$ 15 - US$ 34
Neighbourhood: Shaughnessy
Neighbourhood: Shaughnessy
Reviewed 11 August 2017 via mobile

Good service and GREAT food. Portobello mushroom appy, short ribs, saag paneer and the trout were all dishes we would order again and recommend to others. I appreciate reading on the menu about the locally sourced food - all high quality and wow does it show through in the flavours! We went on a Thursday night around 7:30pm and didn't have to wait at all. Thanks for a great night - we will be back!

Vikramvij, Owner at Vij's Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2017

Namaste Nicole and I really do appreciate your time and effort to share your views about Vij's on social media. I shall personally pass on the accolade to my hard working and dedicated staff.

Reviewed 8 August 2017

Took my wife to visit to Vij's. We wanted to give it a try after the move to the new location but waited and waited through various trips until timing worked out. The long line-ups at the door made us think that the place would be amazing ..but it also made shy away. We should have probably listened to our instincts.

My first thought of negativity arrived while we had drinks waiting for a table. Unlike any other bar I've been in the size of the drinks seemed smaller than normal.

Service was fine and dandy.

Food..not impressed. I;'ve eaten at many Indian restaurants around the world and was not wowed. I think the part for us that stung the most was the crazy prices (no gold in the food to justify the price point). For example, 2 samosa for $15?! When did a samosa start costing $7.50? For 15 dollars we should have probably got 6 included in the dish and it still would be considered a luxury price.

The rest of the dishes, even though advertised with lots of spices on the menu, were bland and small in size.

I guess I expected more from a chef with a great brand name. I'd steer people who want to spend almost $200 for dinner to different locations.

4  Thank seoulsoulman
Vikramvij, Co-owner at Vij's Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2017

Namaste Seoulsoulman

Let me first say that I totally believe in a person's right to have an opinion and expressing and sharing their views with other guests and future customers. I also totally believe in listening to the guests and letting them form their opinion. I hope you should show me the same respect by listening to what I have to say about your complaint. I must also politely disagree with your over all view.

Bar cocktails are hand made and it is not the size of the cocktail that matters but the quality of the ingredients and the care taken to make them. I am not quite sure if you were looking for quantity versus quality.
Were you also offered 2 to 3 different kinds of snacks while you were waiting or maybe when you got to the table?
What stung you the most is the cost of a well crafted, hand made meat Samosa, with coconut chutney and a tomatoe masala at the bottom? Please tell me in your travels, where have you found a local organic meat samosa, in a setting where you got cloth napkins, water filled up, service by professionals, hand towels in the washroom, in downtown Vancouver, cooked by people who are paid well for their work and the love they put in it.
I guess again, you would like to have a cheaper SAMOSA, filled with potatoes, mostly dough and at a different setting. Yes, off course, one can buy a hamburger for 1.99 at some places and you can buy a hamburger for 18 dollars but according to you, A SAMOSA is a SAMOSA and it should be cheap?
The food is spiced according to the dish and you could have easily asked for some chutney or chilly pickles to spice up the dish. Please email me Vikram@vijs.ca to tell me what dishes you had and what you thought was bland.
Again, i am all for expressing ones opinion but paying staff good wages, taking care of them and showing them respect also costs money and I do think that they are worth like gold.

Reviewed 6 August 2017

Great environment and food. One of our summer highlights for last two summers has been a dinner at Vij's. Chickpea appetizer is phenomenal. Wife says lamb popsicles is one of her all time favorite meals.

Vikramvij, Owner at Vij's Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2017

Namaste and our staff appreciates your positive comments and you for taking the time to express ur opinion on social media.

Reviewed 6 August 2017 via mobile

Vij has great food. Absolutely 10 star food. But the service is a complete zero. They padded our bill with a $50 service charge saying it was an additional fee because we had over 8 people when in fact we had 6 with a breast feeding newborn. Just a pathetic experience, the manager should be ashamed of himself. I will never go back to Vij and think this establishment doesn't represent Vancouver at all and for clients spending great money the service here is despicable. Avoid this place. Xx

1  Thank twistedfoodlover
Vikramvij, Manager at Vij's Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2017

Namaste Twistedfoodlover

I am sorry to hear your experience, I do believe in a person having the right to express themselves on social media about an establishment but I am going to ask you politely to email me your concerns at Vikram@vijs.ca, so that we can discuss this further.

We do not pad anybodies bill or add something to the bill without bringing it to the attention of the guests, this could be misunderstanding, so please email me.

thanks

Reviewed 4 August 2017

We had seen Vij's featured on a CBC documentary so when we visited Vancouver from Ontario we had to try Vij's. The food exceeded our expectations and the service was exceptional. I would highly recommend this restaurant.

Vikramvij, Owner at Vij's Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2017

Namaste and thank you for such kind words, I shall personally pass on the accolade to my hard working and dedicated staff.