“I love this place”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
vancouver
“I love this place”
Reviewed 17 May 2012

We have stayed here before and it never disappoints but with the newly renovated rooms in the Pointe building we were even happier than on our previous visits. The views are spectacular, our room was very comfortable and the bathroom with the new sliding doors across the tub was delightful. Staff are always charming. Take advantage of the cruiser bikes you can borrow to ride across the beach and definitely have breakfast at the cafe in the Beach building. Yes, it is expensive but worth every penny!

Room Tip: Higher floors have more sweeping views. Ground floor views are good too if you like to watch birds...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (394)
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 14 May 2012

Stayed in the newly updated Pointe building on the 2nd floor in April. With the updates, the rooms were on par if not better than the Beach building where I stayed last year considering the newness of the room and the easy access to the spa, restaurant, etc. What's more the views from the Pointe were perhaps more majestic, and the surge channel heightened the sound of the ocean at night. The room was so inviting that we spent a great deal of time reading both inside by the fireplace and on the balcony. Though such small details, the Hudson Bay blankets and the candlelight turn down are perhaps my 2 favourite amenities. The first morning of our visit we took part in a yoga session through the spa. The instructor was very congenial and gracious with the different ability levels of the guests. Yoga with the backdrop of the ocean was the ideal way to start to the day and really set the tone. The day ended just as well as it began, eating freshly shucked oysters at sunset on Chesterman Beach. Can you believe the Concierge there can arrange that for you? Every West Coast city dweller should treat themselves to an annual escape to the paradise of Tofino & more specifically the Wickaninnish Inn.

Room Tip: The corner rooms are especially spacious and some look straight onto the surge channel.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Vancouver, BC
Reviewed 6 May 2012

My husband and I stayed for two nights at the end of April, to take advantage of their low-season rates. We were in a Deluxe room on the second floor of the original building, the Pointe. I have never before stayed in a hotel that was so nice that I was completely content to stay in the room for hours on end.

When the weather was nice, we walked on Chesterman Beach, Long Beach, and visited Tofino and Ucluelet. When it was raining, we were just as happy to stay in the room and watch a DVD from their library, or read the paper by the fireplace, or sit on the balcony. We especially enjoyed the double-soaker tub with its scenic view of the ocean. Another plus was the tea kettle in the room that was in addition to the coffeemaker. I was able to enjoy tea or hot chocolate in the morning while watching the waves.

We found that their turndown service really added to the romantic atmosphere of the place. We returned to our room each evening to find the lights turned off except for one lamp; the bed sheets turned down; bathrobes placed on the bed; and a romantic CD playing in the background. We felt so safe and relaxed at this resort that we kept the balcony door open all night so that we could enjoy the sound of the waves crashing on the rocks below. The bed itself was very comfortable and we slept well each night.

We had a fabulous dinner at their restaurant, the Pointe, which I have reviewed separately. We didn’t have a window table because I made reservations only two weeks prior, but I didn’t mind because you could see the ocean from just about anywhere in the restaurant. I never noticed what some other reviewers mentioned about the sound of the crashing waves being amplified and piped into the restaurant. All I remember is some ambient music playing in the background. My only regret about the restaurant is that we didn’t have more meals there, instead opting to try out different restaurants in Tofino (Sobo’s, Shelter). That was a mistake, as the food at these other restaurants was quite costly but not nearly as good as the Pointe’s.

The only negatives I would mention is that their coffee maker was extremely temperamental (we heard other guests complaining at the front desk about theirs as well); we could not get our binoculars to focus properly, nor could the staff; and the closet door squeaked loudly every time we opened it. I only mention the last because when the front desk employee who checked us in took us to our room, the closet door made the same horrendous squawk when she opened it, and she never batted an eye or thought of sending someone to fix it. Oh, and we had to be really patient with the door keycards, holding the cards for about 5 seconds against the panel before it would register and unlock the door. Apparently the staff said it was a “known” problem with that room, but to me, a “known” problem means it should be fixed, not just overlooked. One last drawback is that they don’t have a pool, although to be fair I don’t know where they would fit one in. It would have to be in a separate building, and that would probably spoil the aesthetics of the place.

Overall, we were very impressed with the Wick and we really enjoyed our stay. We had a wonderful, romantic weekend, and I would love to go back there someday.

Room Tip: The rooms in the Pointe building have better views than the ones in the Beach building. If we could...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Rimrunner
guestrelationswick, Guest Relations Coordinator at Wickaninnish Inn and The Pointe Restaurant, responded to this review, 24 May 2012
Dear Rimrunner,
Thank you for posting a Review of your recent stay at our Inn on Trip Advisor and sharing your experience with our online community.
While we are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us, we were most disappointed to read that you experienced difficulties with your guest room key card, the closet door and the coffee maker. This certainly is not the standard at the Wickaninnish Inn and we can assure you that our maintenance team has addressed all of the concerns you have noted.
We truly appreciate and thank you for all of your comments, both wonderful and construction. Feedback from you, our guest, provides us with the insight needed for continual improvement.
On behalf of Charles McDiarmid and our entire Wickaninnish Inn team we thank you for your Review and look forward to welcoming you back to the Wickaninnish Inn and The Pointe Restaurant again!
Sandy Stocker
Guest Relations Coordinator
Wickaninnish Inn & The Pointe Restaurant
Los Alamitos, California
Reviewed 5 May 2012

My sister and I visited this "heaven on earth" last month. From the filtered water pitchers, to the wine glasses, heated bathroom floor, fluffy robes, impeccable service, and gorgeous, breathtaking views from our 3rd story room,(or during a bath out the window strategically placed in the bathroom) the hotel library, or from the beach, this place is Heaven!

We had been on a raucous whale watching trip and I became quite sea sick. The waiter in the restaurant bar suggest ginger beer which quickly calmed my queasy tummy. We also had the cheese platter and soup. Both were outstanding!
I truly hope to make it back to this unbelievable place sometime in the future.....maybe my 40th wedding anniversary?

Room Tip: 3rd floor room overlooking the crashing waves and craggy rocks!!! Amazing view!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Longview, Washington
Reviewed 5 May 2012

We, 2 couples, spent 2 nights at the Wick; this was a splurge made more reasonable by using our Aveda reward points! The setting on Chesterman Beach is wonderful, the buildings of the Inn are works of art; the rooms are luxurious & so comfortable with beautiful finishes, comfortable beds & chairs, gas fireplace, great views, including from the bathroom, maid service twice a day. ( I was just a bit disappointed that I did have to request a replacement box of tissues right after we arrived, having immediately used the 1 or 2 remaining in the box, but I know that this is quibbling. Similarly, my sister noted that the makeup mirror had relatively poor light, but I imagine the light is meant to be pleasant, not harsh. And the reading lights were excellent.) A memorable experience. If you can afford it--or if you have enough Aveda points: Go! Enjoy!

Room Tip: We selected the lower level (higher the level, more pricey the room) in the Wick-on-the-Beach buildi...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tofino
Middle Beach Lodge
#7 of 16 in Tofino
Magnolia Hotel And Spa
#2 of 49 in Victoria
Fairfield
Abigail's Hotel
Abigail's Hotel
#1 of 49 in Victoria

Been to Wickaninnish Inn and The Pointe Restaurant? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK