“Rates high on all fronts!”
Review of Modern Cafe

Modern Cafe
Ranked #25 of 343 Restaurants in Nanaimo
Price range: US$ 10 - US$ 24
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 9 January 2018

We passed on this restaurant a few months ago - mostly because it was a 'cafe' and the funky vintage signs outside only reinforced that at first glance - but sure glad we gave it a try this trip. Won't be passing it by in future.

The food was great. 3 different meals; prawn appetizer was different and really tasty. Ribs were tangy/tasty and fall off the bone, pork double loin was very flavourful. Veggies deserving of a special mention; the roasted golden beet was delicious and roasted potatoes cooked to perfection. Nice selection of wines by the glass. White was served nicely chilled.

Our service was prompt - maybe a tad rushed in the beginning - but slowed to a more relaxed pace shortly after.

Inside the decor is inviting, warm and cozy. Beautiful brick walls, might be original brick, but don't know. Mostly booth-type seating vs table/chairs. It has good ambiance in the evening.

We'll definitely eat here again.

Reviewed 3 January 2018

the food and the service is always great here. We usually stop by for lunch. It is always busy so make sure you plan to be there for awhile.

Reviewed 15 November 2017 via mobile

Trendy setting, located at walking distance from the BC ferries terminal.

Offers a wide variety of food on their menu, I chose the steak, which was prepared as requested and very enjoyable.

In my experience, The staff don’t know much about wines and beers they have when questioned, so don’t expect great pairings.

Would go again when in Nanaimo.

Reviewed 8 November 2017

The outdoor exteriour gives the completely wrong vibe to the class of the inside. It is an expensive place but the food was very good. I went with my friend and she ordered the steak and I ordered the prawn linguine. They were both very good! The half portion was only 4$ cheaper than the full portion and so I ordered the full portion and had dinner for the next night! I will definitely be returning. Service was mediocre and the food quality made up for it.

Reviewed 5 November 2017

There were three of us with just an hour to spend for dinner. I chose the Modern for its proximity to the downtown event we were attending. That turned out to be a good choice as I explained the situation to our server and he was efficient. I liked the idea that some of the menu choices were half orders. What was disappointing was that some items on the menu were not available and my prawn linguine, though very tasty was on the cold side. It can be very noisy in this restaurant but the ambience is pleasant.