“Where is the customer service and Yes where is the washing machine!”

The Grand Hotel Nanaimo
Ranked #12 of 18 Hotels in Nanaimo
Reviewed 9 December 2017

On Top of the physical damage in my so called suite it was so dirty. This experience was beyond crazy, the worst hotel I've ever visited in the world. This dirty rundown executive suite had 30% of the bathroom tiles broken there was mold in and rust in the shower and the jacuzzi was broken. The bed skirt was ripped the flat sheets they were using where fitted sheets go and did not properly cover the mattress. The carpets were incredibly worn as though the unit has been lived in for a long term rental where parties were thrown. I was upsold the room based on it having a jacuzzi and when it didn't work i asked to change rooms. The incompetent front desk attendant Olu told me I could not change rooms. He told me I didn't have to worry he would discount the room and he wouldn't have me change rooms. When I checked out I explained my experience to Jason the daytime front desk attendant he apologized for my terrible experience and comped my room. I stayed one night Nov, 30th 2017 checked out Dec. 1st 2017. Looking at my credit card statement after receiving a call days letter I will now fight these crooks through my credit card. Olu was mad at Jason's resolution charged my credit card and December 3rd and proceeded to place a call to me straight out of the twilight zone. He waited to gather the nerve to call me a week after I left on Dec 6th 2017 and using the most unacceptable to customer service dialogue tried to tell me Jason was not allowed to comp my room and he would be charging me. This is my first social media review of this experience as I have promised management I will spend 500% of my bill to drive awareness to this dirty hotel where the cleanest place in the hotel is the lobby and the front outside like a facade. I gave management until yesterday night to receive an apology or begin legal actions. I am outraged at the way I have been treated! The Shady Hotel Stay Away.

Room Tip: Stay away from this entire property
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 16 September 2017 via mobile

"I'm the Maytag washing machine. I make things clean, clean, clean!"
The staff here could use one of these. Carpets were dirty and the room had a distinct aroma.
Great you have a nice whisk(e)y bar and are cigar friendly, but damn, pay the staff to vacuum.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dan P
Reviewed 14 September 2017

The hotel itself is outstanding. The gardens and surrounding area all well kept right down to the bunny's. Great staff,Lovely Hotel,Beautiful scenery.
Every employee was polite and courteous and the food was fantastic. I would recommend this venue to anyone and definitely will be staying here again!

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 September 2017 via mobile

I stayed here with my dog while visiting friends in Nanaimo... the hotel was recommended to me by a local. Yes it could use some updating (its pricing is average so I'm not sure why people would expect opulence), but it's clean, comfortable, and my ground floor room was huge! I had everything I needed... the in-room coffee was great, and the high pressure shower was particularly delightful. Best of all was the staff and their friendly, welcoming attitude towards my dog. The gentlemen on check-in and check-out were both so lovely and friendly, even pulling the resident front desk dog-on-duty into the office when necessary to accommodate my dog's unexpected grouchy attitude. I didn't use the bar or restaurant, but it was nice to have fridge and microwave in my room for late night snacks and wine. The location is great for dog walks too. Would definitely stay again. Thank you to the friendly staff.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 August 2017

Stayed here for 1 night before heading to the ferry. Never stayed before but was pleased. Disappointed that the hotel restaurant isn't open of Monday's so had to go elsewhere for a meal, but thankfully a couple restaurants were close by within walking distance. Underground parking was handy to keep vehicle safe and secure, and out of the hot sun

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends