“The Last Place You will want to...I mean, simply, don't go there...” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Value Lodge Economy Motel

Value Lodge Economy Motel
Value Lodge Economy Motel
Vancouver, Canada
“The Last Place You will want to...I mean, simply, don't go there...”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2010

My business always rely on travelling and when it comes to "Travelling" you would want to stay at the decent accommodation since you are away from home, right? however, this place can be described as just "Horrible". They are advertising now everywhere that they are under the new management and doing all kinds of renovation which I've spoken to the staff there over the phone before I came there to check in then I did check in.

I found the half dozen of cockroach all at the same time when I turned the light on after I came back from the dinner then later after I came out of the shower there was a Roden standing there looking at me... do you guys want to hear more about this place? well, I will just carry on. So I went back out to the front desk to find out whether I can check out with the money I paid return back to me. Well, as I expected this business and the staff would never do the refund(I had the similar experiences before but in other area) and they were trying to teach me that no one can get the deal like they offer...OMG!!!
Anyway, I came back to the room and make sure that there isn't any cockroach and a little mouse friend then I laid on the bed turned the T.V on(No Remote...later, I went out to ask for one which I received one with the bunch of sticky duck tape around)...
A little later, a bunch of people who are drug users yelling in and out...prostitutes are coming and go...drunken people are walking around...later, I found out that the day I checked in was "Welfare Day"... tell me about it...

I was on the bed not more than an hour or so. I was bitten by the bed bugs all over my back and the shoulder even down to the legs(exactly 19 major bites) then I flipped the mattress...another OMFG... I couldn't and for sure you couldn't either believe what were there under the mattress...more than hundreds bed bugs you and I can clearly see.

I had to check out and went to another motel away from that area...what a horrible experience I had that evening...I had to write the letter to Vancouver Island Health Authority for the inspection on this motel.

So my advice is..."Please don't go there..."

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
      Sleep Quality
12 Thank jaguar1999
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Ottawa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2007

My friend and I were forced to stay here while on business in Nanaimo because it was the only place we found that had any rooms available.

We booked a double room and while the price was lower than most places, it wasn't too significant. The room itself was absolutely terrible though. The floor was dirty, the furniture and bedding was old and poorly maintained, the bathroom fan didn't work (which is why I think the wooden doorframe was partly rotted away), the toilet ran the entire night, the bathroom floor had come apart and worst of all - the sheets weren't even clean. There were burn marks, as well as blood and other stains on the sheets, and there was hair and dirt in the sheets as well.

That the TV didn't work was an after-thought by this point.

We had to pay all the fees up front and there were no refunds, so we had to make do with what he had. I would not recommend this motel to anyone - keep driving around and try to find something available somewhere else.

• Liked — Having to pay everything up front allowed us to check out in seconds first thing in the morning
  • Disliked — Having to spend a night there
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
10 Thank TheNinja

Travellers are raving about these Nanaimo hotels

Vancouver, BC
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2006

I am writing to give you some feedback on my experience at the Value Lodge Economy Motel.

I traveled to Vancouver Island on the September 1, 2006 with my significant other for holiday. As I had no reservation anywhere on a long weekend I stopped at the first hotel I saw off of the Duke Point ferry.

I did find the rooms a little rough; i.e. burn marks on the carpet and worn bedding but thought fair enough, the hotel is being renovated. The night clerk that checked us in was very friendly and helpful. Once settled in our room he recommended the best place to order food from and gave me directions to the gas station to get ice. He did apologize about the renovations and generally made us feel welcome as guests.

The next day at 11:04am a young woman appeared at the open door. She was dressed like she had been at a night club and had not changed. I was waiting for my significant other to finish in the bathroom as we were about to check out. She curtly asked “are you staying for two days”? I found it odd that she did not greet me or identify herself to be a hotel employee. I replied that we were not. Her response was again delivered in a very rude tone” Check out was ten minutes ago! You either have to come to the office and pay for another day or check out. I need this room ready for the cleaning lady!” I wasn’t aware that check out was 10:54 am and that our patronage was such a big problem as implied by her vehement rudeness. I told her we were about to leave.

Personally I would never treat my clients this way, and don’t appreciate such poor customer service. I know at this point I would not recommend the Value Lodge to my friends or colleagues.

I checked out at about 11:16 am with questions posed in my mind;

•Does the Value Lodge Economy Motel have competent management and minimum employee training?

•Is staff morale extremely low because the hotel is a centre for drugs, criminal activity and prostitution?

•Should guest safety be a concern?

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Service & Cleanliness
  • Tips/Secrets — Avoid This Place!
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
10 Thank Dignity1
vancouver
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2006

I rented a room, thinking that all motels had at least a bare minimum standard. i turned the key and entered the worst motel room I have seen in my life there was a blood stain on the bed cover, the furniture and fittings were absolutely old and damaged and gross. it looked more like a cell than a room.

i was in there for 30 seconds and went to cancel. the desk guy wouldn't give me my money back. said he'd have to contact the head office to okay it. they would only offer me another room.

it was worth 55 bucks not to stay there.

• Liked — leaving it
  • Disliked — everything about it
  • Tips/Secrets — avoid it like the plague
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled solo
9 Thank omnitrav
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2005

Ups: The staff where helpful and nice, the rooms where clean and cheap. Excellent Showers! Nice view of the harbour only about half an hours walk. Alices Resteraunt and Lounge was a nice Touch, the Lounge especially. Big parking lot front and back.

Downs: The street infront of it gets a little noisey in the day, its the same at every other motel I've stayed at on that street. They don't have bath-tubs (I think the shower made up for it!). Little worn, everythings not -brand- new but its not like its all broken and dirty.

Opinion: The staff where really friendly, and I liked the place better then most of the other Motels up that street. If I'm in Nanaimo I stay there.

• Stayed April 2005, travelled on business