All reviews tim hortons across the street nice pool ferry terminal an older property nothing fancy newcastle island the air conditioning would stay here again front desk staff one night stay downtown marina
Reviewed 14 June 2018 via mobile

Skip this hotel when making a reservation! Not worth the price.
It's old and dated. The tub is disgusting. The carpet ...very old and worn... is buckling, making it a trip hazard.
I have mobility issues... A broken leg. There are no grab bars or safety features in the bathroom.
I could not recommend this hotel.

Date of stay: June 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family
Erik B, Front Office Manager at Howard Johnson by Wyndham Nanaimo Harbourside, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2018

Good Day Anita
I am so very sorry we did not meet your expectations. We are an older hotel - but the housekeeping staff take pride in ensuring the bathroom is clean. Being an older hotel - unfortunately our bathrooms do not come equipped with mobility equipment such a grab bars, but all the tubs are anti slip finished.

Sincerely

Reviewed 1 June 2018

Do you like old sagging mattresses? Thin, barely there bedding? A tube TV that has to warm up before showing the picture? No elevator at all, and one ice machine that is on the 3rd floor? Windows that rattle with the slightest breeze? Hearing your neighbors every move through paper thin walls? No microwave? Unknown musty smells?
Then maybe you will like this hotel.
We did not, and will not be staying there again.
This is a cheap $60 per night motel with a high price tag. Surprised to see the Howard Johnson name attached to this hotel - it is nowhere near what I would expect in from a branded hotel. It is what I would expect from a motel that offers rates by the hour.
Some of the staff were very friendly and awesome, some were totally unhelpful. And it was clean - besides the old musty smell from the carpets/walls. Though one family in our group had to be moved to a new room due to bugs.

I do not intend for this review to reflect negatively on staff - this is simply a very old hotel that has not had any upgrades (in room or otherwise) or upkeep, and possibly lack of maintenance. The pricing (and branding) does not reflect this. If I had paid $40-60 per night in an un-branded motel I would have been perfectly happy, as I would have expected these conditions.

In all seriousness if you have mobility issues make sure to speak with them when booking to get a room on the main floor, as there is no elevator.
Also if you have asthma, allergies, or other breathing problems I would caution that this hotel will not be a comfortable place - it is very musty and has many lingering odours of years gone by, which triggered my son's allergies.

Date of stay: May 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank Gail L
Reviewed 14 May 2018

Booked late at night on the way to Nanaimo, and was told altogether $130 US. I assumed at that price it had to be a 4 star. Wrong. The room looked ZERO like the photo I saw and it smelled musty as hell and the blanket had to be from the fifties. We were exhausted so we stayed. I asked the clerk in the morning how much I would have been charged for the same room if I'd just walked in. Total $114 Canadian, plus I would have received a discount because I work for the government. Staff was friendly enough, but DO NOT USE RESERVATIONS.COM .....EVER. I called to complain but they just brushed me off because we stayed. Booking online is supposed to be a discounted option. .

Room tip: Don't book with Reservations.com
Date of stay: May 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Erik B, Manager of Operations at Howard Johnson by Wyndham Nanaimo Harbourside, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2018

Good Day Eric B
I am so very sorry that we did not meet your expectations when you checked into the hotel. The pricing in US dollars was unfortunate as it lead to you believing our getting a 4 star hotel, and the Howard Johnson is a 2 star budget friendly hotel. We are known for great service, value and location in Nanaimo. I can assure you the blankets and linens are current and not dated as the appearance of the property. Again I am so very sorry the staff did not go the extra step in assisting with a discount for the high rate you paid
Thank for our frank and honest remarks, as we can only do better when feed back is provided
Sincerely

Reviewed 18 April 2018

Have not stayed here for a while but had a difficult time finding a pet friendly room in Nanaimo. The plus of the stay was that we did get a pet friendly room at this hotel. It is very run down and tired looking. The room did not smell fresh, burnt our light bulbs in washroom, light not working inside door where you enter. The property itself needs a sprucing up, it is downtrodden and in need of fresh paint.

Room tip: Choose another hotel
Date of stay: April 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Erik B, Manager of Operations at Howard Johnson by Wyndham Nanaimo Harbourside, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2018

Good Day Danny
Thank you very much for taking your time to post your comments about your recent stay at the Howard Johnson Harbourside Hotel Nanaimo. I am so very sorry we did not catch the light out in the bathroom. I have sent maintenance to check the entrance light as this is very important feature of the guest room that should always work. I have forwarded your comments to the owner about the decor and condition of the hotel.

Reviewed 24 March 2018

My husband and I chose the Howard Johnson as a cheap and cheerful night in Nanaimo. It was definitely cheap, but not that cheerful. Although it is now a non-smoking property, the hotel does still smell of smoke, including our room. We unfortunately were given the room next to the back door, which meant there were lots of people standing outside talking and smoking, which made the room smell even more of smoke. We were also right across from the vending machine so heard the 'clunk' of drinks overnight. A car alarm right outside our room also went off a couple of times in the night which also negatively impacted our experience, as I didn't sleep because I was worried about our car being broken into. The location wasn't quite as harbourside as I was expecting given the name of the hotel, but was a 2 minute walk from White Sails brewery, which is why I chose it. Staff were not rude, but not particularly friendly or welcoming either. Room was clean and we appreciated the free parking. It was fine if you're looking for a basic room, but was below average for us. For the price, the other hotels in the area looked a bit nicer.

Room tip: Avoid the room by the vending machine
Date of stay: March 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Foreverliz10
Erik B, Front Office Manager at Howard Johnson by Wyndham Nanaimo Harbourside, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2018

Good Day Foreverliz10
I am so very sorry we did not meet your expected hotel experience at the Howard Johnson Harbourside Hotel Nanaimo.
The location of your guest room was not a great experience for you which I apologize, I am sorry that a vehicle in the parking lot alarm kept going off during your stay. I would not be to happy with that situation either. Thank you again for sending us your feedback as we can only learn for guest feedback.
Regards