“Good location, clean rooms” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of BEST WESTERN Dorchester Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
BEST WESTERN Dorchester Hotel
Ranked #6 of 19 Hotels in Nanaimo
GreenLeadersBronze level
Vancouver, Canada
“Good location, clean rooms”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

I stayed one night at this hotel. The rooms were clean and nice. I had a water view room which is nice.
I checked in late and I called in the morning to ask for a late checkout because my flight was late and my meetings were not going to start till noon.

The front desk guy wasn't nice and he wouldn't extend my stay. He could have given me an hour, because when cleaning rooms, they would probably go one by one, and not all at same time!

It would have been nice to have this extra thing which would probably take me back to them. Right now, I personally will make sure I stay somewhere else on my trips to Nanaimo.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank RozaTheExplorer
NanaimoResponse, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Dorchester Hotel, responded to this review, 11 May 2012
Thank you for your feedback. Although your accommodations were up to your expectations we were not able to extend a late check out to you on that day because we were expecting a full house that evening with many guests checking in early in the afternoon. The housekeepers needed this time window to prepare the rooms for these new arrivals. Normally if we are able to fulfill a request for a later check out we do this, but this is based on availability. I do hope that you will reconsider and stay with us again on a future visit. Thank you again for sharing your experience with others.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
  • Korean first
BC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

We just spent the weekend at the Dorchester, and it was very enjoyable from check in through to check out! We got a family room which had two double beds in the room and a sofa bed in the living room. We have a 5 year old, so it was great to have the separate room, and there was a walk-through closet between the bedroom and living room which really helped with any noise. The only down-side was that the beds were all doubles and my husband and i need a queen. However he happened to have flu all weekend so we appreciated the sofa bed and it all worked out.
Becasue my husband had flu, we ended up eating in the hotel three times (two breakfasts and a dinner) and all were excellent for the price. Nothing fancy, but the roast beef buffet on Saturday was quite delicious. Desserts were so-so, but for $14.95 for adults, free for 5 year olds, we weren't complaining :) Breakfasts were standard fare, but good.
The staff were all friendly the room was clean and spacious. Beds were very comfy. Over all a good experince, even with a sick hubby!

Room Tip: can hear the float panes taking off if you have a room at the ocean-side. THey start at 7:30 am, bu...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
NanaimoResponse, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Dorchester Hotel, responded to this review, 21 February 2012
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with others. I'm glad to hear that your stay was satisfactory and up to your expectations. We strive to ensure that all of our guests have a great experience.
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2012

I recently stayed at this hotel for a business trip and couldn't have been more pleasantly surprised. The lobby in beautiful, my room looking over the water was just amazing and most importantly clean. The bed was comfy and the hotel was quiet.
I can foresee a concern for some because it was above a road with a bus route and being so close to the water, around 7 am I started to hear a lot of traffic and the planes taking off from the water. So if you were planning on trying to sleep in that would have been annoying, but I had to get up early so it didn't bother me.
The breakfast the next morning in their restaurant was very good with the highlight being the farm fresh eggs. The service was excellent as well.

• Stayed February 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
NanaimoResponse, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Dorchester Hotel, responded to this review, 10 February 2012
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay at this hotel. I'm glad to hear that our valued staff made your experience a good one and up to your expectations. Although the hotel dates back more that 100 years and comes with the challenges and charms of a bygone era, the ownership constantly upgrades the hotel to meet todays expectations. We hope to see you again on a future visit to our city. Thank You again for letting us know.
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2012

If I were to stay in Nanaimo again, I would stay here, but only because it seemed to be the best of what is offered in this town. The service was fairly friendly, but they were confused, including the manager. One elevator was out so we waited quite a bit to go to our room.

The room itself was reasonably clean, but the whole hotel felt shabby.

It is however, VERY convenient. There are many shops, coffee places, bookstores, and a few restaurants in a quaint little street right outside the hotel. Out the other entrance takes you to a waterfront promenade.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank irving250
Victoria Capital Regional District, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2011

We've stayed at the BW Dorchester a couple times when there has been no other choice. The last time we passed through was the same as the first:

We arrive at the hotel around 1am just off the ferry at Duke point. Despite our calling in to say that we are arriving late for reservation, the clerk asks us questions through the locked glass door (on the harbour side) before letting us in, then after letting us in, he goes through a song and dance about the need for security. Gee thanks, am I to take it that my lovely wife and I with our roller luggage and car keys look sketchy at 1am?

Next we get to our room, right next to the ice machine -- despite asking in our advance reservation explicitly for this NOT to be the case. I would not be complaining if we were paying $99, but the price was more like $179. What kind of room do we get for that money you ask? Well it opens right onto the corridor -- no separation -- and is jammed tight with a bed, a desk and a crappy little TV. I doubt there is 3 feet of margin to maneuvre around the bed. You practically have to stand on the bed to get undressed. And if you do that you see the dust and dirt built up on top of the ledges. Yech.

The one thing that I was happy with: the windows open.

Otherwise, not worth it.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Thinkwire

Travellers are raving about these Nanaimo hotels