“Delicious grilled calamari”

Ranked #1 of 347 Restaurants in Nanaimo
Cuisines: Greek
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, Business meetings, Romantic
Reviewed 27 May 2015

Popped over here since I was craving Greek and the food was great! Ordered grilled calamari and hummus + pita - portions are large for a decent price ($12 for calamari, $6.50 for hummus). When I ordered the calamari appetizer, I was really surprised to have the server ask me if I wanted it deep fried or grilled - very few places offer grilled squid so I was very happy and surprised to hear it offered. I liked that they kept it clean and fresh with just salt/pepper/tiny bit of lemon and sauteed onions. The hummus was on the lighter and less garlic-y but they gave me a huge portion so I can't complain. Restaurant was completely packed when I got there (~8:30pm on weekday) so I got my order to go.

Reviewed 25 May 2015

Authentic Greek, that is what you get when you eat here. I have been here many times for dinner and work lunches. Always excellent service and the food is exactly what you would expect from an upscale restaurant.

Reviewed 23 May 2015

who knew ? We moved to Nanaimo 9 mos. ago & working our way through some wonderful restaurants (ESP. In the downtown & Old Quarter - FABULOUS areas !!) friends took us to Asteras in the Old City Quarter and we WILL be back - it was Friday night, the place was packed (we had reservations) and the ambiance was SO Mediterranean/ European ...there are numerous areas to sit/relax/ eat/drink and unwind ... The service was GREAT, our meals were great as well and came in good time... We shared the deep fried calamari - delish!) - they also have it grilled - also shared tzatziki/hummus. I had the Greek salad for main meal ( tip: the sm. is big ... ;) ) my friends had the lamb dinner - fab! & the beef souvlaki. The plates were full & after tasting their meals I Can say I'd order either of them
The beef was a bit over cooked (she asked for med.). When my husband came later & ordered it med. rare - it was perfect.

Reviewed 23 May 2015

The atmosphere is nice and the staff was super friendly, but they pack so many people in this small establishment that it was hard to hear each other speak. The food was overpriced and bland. Chicken thighs for souvlaki where every other restaurants serves breasts, the greek salad was fresh, but absolutely no flavour, you have to pay extra for the pita bread and the fish portions are beyond tiny.

Reviewed 21 May 2015 via mobile

Had a great meal and great friendly staff! mUst order the SAGANAKI!!! Sooooooo Good!!! This is the best Greek place in Nanaimo! Don't waste your time or money on the other place!

1  Thank aceb649