“Received a death threat from manager on a Sunday morning!!!”

Howard Johnson Kelowna
Ranked #31 of 34 Hotels in Kelowna
Penticton, Canada
“Received a death threat from manager on a Sunday morning!!!”
Reviewed 16 February 2012

Of all the hotels I have ever stayed in, and thats alot, I have never been greeted by a more aggressive person that the manager/owner of this facility. I was greeted by a lovely friendly girl on Saturday afternoon and I took a room. She informed me of the free breakfast which was the main reason i stayed there. The room was average but clean. The next morning I went for my free breakfast and there was a car in the manager spot outside but the place was closed. It was 7:20 am. I rang the bell several times and no one answered so I left the hotel without checking out. Several hours later I returned to check out and I told the manager what happened. He told me that breakfast was at 7:30 am. I said that at 7:20 the lights were still off and he started getting upset telling me that "he didn;t care"! I was shocked by his lack of concern for my plight. He began getting very aggressive by standing up and coming towards me! He then said he will -- kill me! I told him that if he keeps coming i am going to call the police! We exchanged words and I asked him for my receipt which I was paying for by visa. He wouldnt give it to me! After several minutes he finally gave it to me and I left. The next day I called Howard Johnsons on their toll free number expecting that they would take my complaint very seriously! Turned out, they didnt care at all! After 2 weeks of no return call, I called again and was told that there was nothing they could do for me! Shocking! I implore you.......NEVER EVER go to this hotel!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank rick s
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Kamloops, Canada
Reviewed 10 February 2012

Once this place is through with their renovations, I will stay there again in a heartbeat. It wasn't my favourite place, but really, for the price, you can't complain.

First Impression 5 / 10

-recently “refaced” with siding

-fewer than 4 abandoned vehicles in parking lot; more than 1

-inviting roofed area to park your car in while you check in

-there are 3 back doors that appear to lead upstairs; Your key does not work on any of them. Only one of them opens and that is because it is permanently unlocked

Location 8 / 10

- The only fault with the location is that it’s impossible to turn left into the parking lot, or left out of. This isn’t Hojo’s fault, it’s Kelowna’s poor city planning. You’ll be seeing a lot of this on your trip

- Easy to find, close to attractions (see next paragraph)

Nearby Attractions 8/10

- Proximal driving distance to Orchard Park Mall and the downtown shops

- Funny dog lives next door at Town & Country Motel (worth looking into)

- Lots of restaurants and car dealerships

- Vending machine at the landing of “downstairs” should the need arise

Room 4.5/10

- Prepare to be overwhelmed with bleach smell. I got used to it after a few hours and took comfort in the sanitization it implied

- Bathroom was TOP DRAWER! If this is what the rest of the renovations are going to look like, sign me up!

- Heater was not on; room was consequently subzero

- Weird sink holes in the carpet

- Fridge makes a consistent “RRRRR” sound

- No alarm clock or bible (?????)

- Separate sink / “toilet room” – if someone is in the shower and you want to wash your hands you have to dry them on your pants because the towels are in the toilet room

Amenities (9/10)

- Continental breakfast was the highlight of the stay. Watch CTV news with the hotel owner as he makes you some waffles. You will also notice a variety of jams and name-brand cereals, should you prefer.

View (3/10)
- our view was of the highway and the top of the aforementioned roof outside of the lobby. This is where I noticed the Town & Country’s dog, so I’m awarding 3 points for this.

Service (9.5/10)

- promptly greeted at the counter when I came to check in/out

- they let us check in a few hours early when we got into town. Ace! (Be sure to phone ahead, they aren't miracle workers)

- must ask for a 2nd room key

Room Tip: if you ask for a first floor room, you get your own entry door (motel). These are at the back of the...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed 17 December 2011

I had a fantastic stay at the Howard Johnson in Kelowna for 2 weeks when I was waiting for my family to arrive from the UK, The manager and his staff are all very friendly, the room was very clean and up to date. The free breakfast was a bonus as was the fridge/freezer and microwave in the room. Overall a fantastic stay and would definately recommend it to others. The best price in Kelowna by far.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
Stratford-on-Avon
Reviewed 18 September 2011

We had to be in Kelowna early for a meeting and due to delays we arrived at 2.45 a.m.! The manager unlocked the hotel and greeted us warmly... The room was good and everything worked well. Breakfast was good, the manager was making the waffles.

We would definitely stay at the Howard Johnson again, and in the past we have stayed at much 'grander' Kelowna hotels that were disappointing.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 11 September 2011

My girlfriend and I were greated very warmly by a blonde girl. No problems at all. Washroom was redone and everything was super clean. The free breakfast was great. The sign was a bit tricky to see and we drove past it. Great value for a 2 star. No pool so don't expect one.

• Stayed September 2011