“Kitchen was a bonus” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #26 of 34 Hotels in Kelowna
Shawnigan Lake, Canada
“Kitchen was a bonus”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2011

We were going to Penticton with another couple to check the wineries out but Iron Man was on and no hotels so decided to go to Kelowna instead. I found this hotel on line and when I booked on line they didn't have any more of those type of rooms but when I called they said we could upgrade to one with the kitchen for no extra charge because they could only offer us a contintal breakfast as their was no one to cook due to a family problem that had happened. The rooms were clean, big and the kitchen a good size as well. They have a pool which we used each night and even several BBQ's and tables that you could use. This place is on a dead end street so was very quiet and was walking distance to a great Japanese restarant and iHop too.

Room Tip: There is a pet side and a non pet side so you can let them know which side you would like.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jan201255
WitmarGM, General Manager at The Recreation Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 17 April 2013
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay. We would like to welcome you back in the near future when visiting the Okanagan once again!
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2011

Yes, it's a bit run-down (from the outside) but it met our needs. We had enough beds for 5 people, it was clean and quiet. I liked that it had laundry facilities, and was close to amenities. There is a rec place next door if you wanted an indoor pool. Yes, you have to pay but I'm glad for that option. There is also a playground just 2 minutes away. Lots of restaurants around. There were a few things that I noticed, albeit minor. The coffee machine only made it to lukewarm and so did the microwave. No matter how high I put it, it was just warm. While we were given new towels, only 1 bed out of the three was made. If there was only one person on housekeeping, maybe it's time to hire another person? Another thing that made an impression was the way the manager/owner parked his car. Yes, I may sound picky but if you park your car, at least park it within the stall, not into another stall. These are not major things but it just made an impression. Would we go back? Most likely but it would probably be the second choice.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
Medicine Hat, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2011

As we drove up to the motel, it looked run down and sketchy. My words to my husband were "I am so sorry!". Once we got to the room it was not too bad. Kelowna accommodations were all very expensive so this fit in our budget. The room seems to have been repainted and new carpets put in recently. They have BBQ areas outside if you want to make supper for you and your family. We did not use those areas, but they looked alright.

My husband found out our first night that he was allergic to feather pillows. We went to the front desk in the morning and asked if they could change out the feather pillows for non-feather. They said no problem. We got back to the motel at 5pm and our room still hadn't been cleaned or the pillows changed. My husband went to the front desk and the clerk was very condescending as he told my husband that they only had one person on to clean rooms. If you wanted ice, you had to get a key from the front desk, that was not convenient at all.

The continental breakfast was disappointing. It was for a very minimal breakfast at the attached cafe. We only had toast one morning and chose to eat elsewhere the next day.

If we go back to Kelowna, we will look into other accommodations, we would not stay here again.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JennOtt
Witmar, General Manager at The Recreation Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 18 September 2011
Hello Iceyraven,
thank you for your comments. Since your visit in June the building has been painted, the ice machine has been moved to a more convenient location near the front desk and I purchased many non feather pillows.
We had a very busy summer due to the great value that we offer our customers. We will be investing those added revenues into further renovations and improvements.
I hope that you will come back and see for yourself.

Travellers are raving about these Kelowna hotels

saskatchewan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2011

Our room was clean and comfortable. Enough space for the family of four and was in our budget. Our room was quiet.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Coquitlam, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2011

After looking at this hotel online I called and booked a 2 night stay. BIG MISTAKE !!! when we arrived and checked in and were given the key to our NON-SMOKING room (what a joke!!) this room had obviously been occupied by heavy smokers in the past , the room was fairly clean from what we could see but the smell of STALE SMOKE was unbearable and I told the manager that there was no way we could sleep in it, he gave us the key to a different room that was very slightly better as the carpet had been shampood recently but the heavy smoking smell was still very very strong.
After once again complaining to the manager we had to book to stay at the Sandman Inn & Suites (I highly reccomend this hotel) for $40 more per night, what a difference spotless and no smell of smoking.
I went back to the Recreation Inn and returned the key to them, they had the gall to charge my mastercard for one nights stay $150 approx and said I could cancel the second night, What a bargain paid for a hotel room I was unable to use, so please beware of this awful property and manager with no morals !!! He has simply put up a "No Smoking" sign on the door and labelled the room as non smoking, but the whole hotel needs to be renovated. I will be contacting the BBB and Tourism BC to let them know.
I also asked my mastercard provider to reverse the charge and they were very unhelpful and refused so please BEWARE !!!! Please don't give away your hard earned money to this awful Hotel and it's owners.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple