See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 19 August 2017

I was about to write a long review but I see the host has already received many negative reviews so I'll keep it short and sweet.

The host is racist. Upon check in I was told all British people are aggressive and cause trouble and that even though I carry a British passport, I'm not really British because I have brown skin (I was born and raised in England and have lived there all my life but of Indian heritage). She proceeded to say that brown people are known to carry weapons and repeatedly asked me if I had a weapon. This is frankly absurd and shocking to hear in this modern day especially in a country that is proud about it's openness to immigration and different cultures.

This person should not be running a hostel.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
2  Thank Rishi D
Reviewed 28 September 2016

This is not a hostel. It's a house with a few spare bedrooms that the extremely rude owner makes you feel like she's doing you a favour by letting you stay in. The owner, Maggie, overbooked on the night of our stay and the four of us ended up having to share two beds between us even though we had paid for four (she wouldn't refund us any money). At eleven at night while we were in bed the owner came into our room to get something from the closet, although I think she was just being nosey as I felt like she was constantly watching us while we were in the common areas. Our "continental breakfast" which was included in the price was a bowl of plums and NOTHING else! The kitchen was so dirty I wouldn't have even wanted to have made my own food there. The property itself was in a very bad state and needs lots of repairs. The ladies bathroom was 3 flights of stairs and a walk through the kitchen away from our bedroom. The only good thing I have to say about this place was that my friends and I had a laugh after we left about how terrible it was! Thankfully we were only staying for the one night though, otherwise it wouldn't have been so funny!

Stayed: September 2016
5  Thank ElaineCarroll
Maggie W, front desk at Kelowna Okanagan Lake Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2017

Sorry about this, because your review the owner decide no breakfast any more, we did the best we did provide fruits and lots things, that other hostel not provide at all, but people like you said nothing about, only bad review, therefore this year no free breakfast , no complaint for the reason .
The breakfast was DIY Pancake , that you have to cook yourself( Any hostel in town all provide that), the owner give fruits to people has no charge at all , you need to cook your own, the butter and things that you need she did provided also one egg, but ..it is hard for her to have this hostel , people back ground are different, .
Your booked a room are for 2 people but we end up had to helping you for your group stay in a room to set up extra beds for your people stay, this room is a budget room for 2 , you forgot this was a help but you said about her watching you , it is not fair , because we have a rule make sure everyone safe here, so stuff working in kitchen to make sure everything clean and safe, the one person name Maggie not the owner at all.she was working here last year but since your bad review she quite the job and go other hostel , you now are happy ???

Reviewed 16 September 2016 via mobile

This is a HOSTEL and not a hotel.

At $89 it's grossly overpriced. We ended up paying and extra $10 for a queen bed. $99 is an absolutely ridiculous price for this place. Highly recommend paying a few extra bucks for a real hotel.

No towels, no hand soap or toilet paper in the women's shared toilet, huge barking dog in the office when you come and go, sketchy door locks, no proper curtains, bizarre notices about video surveillance in the common areas.

Lesson learned; read reviews more carefully before booking online!

Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jvangurp
Maggie W, Manager at Kelowna Okanagan Lake Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2017

A hostel for the price is very low already, during the summer , the rate can go to 169/night depend on which room that you choice, if no budget please only book dorm for your budget room, private room are much higher, some with condition some without deepen where need it.
Kelowan is a very different town cost are much higher than other town .

Reviewed 24 August 2016

Currently staying at the hostel while looking for an apartment. Got a standard private room at very reasonable rate. It is clean and functional. Location is great and people friendly. Keep in mind this is a hostel, not a hotel, but I would recommend trying a hostel if you never have... Get to meet people, very different experience than staying in a chain hotel.

Room Tip: My standard private room has a desk and TV great value.
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 August 2016

Though the location may be alright the atmosphere and conditions are appauling, it is more an old house with converted rooms than a hostel. You can hear the mice in the walls and every so often running across the floor. It is run by a lady who is intrusive and very very unhelpful. if you ask for a refund of any kind due to a change in plans she claims she is not orthized to do that, when you ask for contact details for people who can she refuses.
If -5 was an option I would be choosing that, I can not stress this enough do not book here under any circumstances.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled solo