All reviews underground parking heart of downtown continental breakfast independent hotel hard boiled eggs facing the street bernard street perfect location included in the room rate fresh fruit prospera place stay there again within walking distance small balcony flat screen tv the hotel manager parking spot
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This hotel was not as clean as it should have been: when sitting in the bathtub, dirt under the rim of the toilet was visible, also there were stains on the extra blanket, and on the couch-type thing at the end of the bed. Also the sound insulation is poor and at about midnight the people next door came back, and were very noisy for hours. This was poor value at nearly $200 Canadian including tax ($159 before tax). We didn't check anywhere else out, but I would expect you can get better for less.

Stayed: September 2018
RoyalAnneHotel, General Manager at The Royal Anne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear VancouverViolet,

That your stay with us was disappointing is VERY disappointing for us & we truly apologize that your room was anything less than spotless!

There is no excuse for a dirty toilet....even if it is under the lip of the bowl & not readily visible. Your review is a reminder that we as management, need to reinforce with our housekeepers how important it is to look at things from all angles. Just as our guests do.

A stain on the other hand should not automatically be indicative that a room is dirty. Our fabric luggage benches for instance, do receive a lot of wear & tear. Despite being cleaned on a regular basis, until it makes sense to actually replace furniture, some may hold a stain that simply can't be lifted.
Spare blankets are washed when used & replaced when needed. Based on your review, i will ensure my team pulls every spare blanket in the house to ensure we haven't overlooked one & they're in good shape.

Being what it is, our 40+ year old building allows sound to travel through it's hallways. Which for the vast majority of the time, is not an issue. People understand they're in a hotel, with guests moving about in hallways & opening & closing doors. With that said, it can be an issue when late comers return to the building, after a night of partying. Our Front Desk team work tremendously hard to control late night arrivals, reminding guests to be courteous of each other....which admittedly works most of the time, but not all of the time.

As well, In efforts to improve guest comfort & reduce sound transfer, we have invested heavily with exterior sound proofing & will continue to improve sound proofing internally in the coming months.

Although your review was less than complimentary, we really do appreciate your perspective & thank you for the reminder to view things as our guests do.

Christa Park ~ hotel Manager - Royal Anne Hotel

Reviewed 10 September 2018

This hotel is located right downtown, walking distance to the water and many bars and restaurants. The room we had was large and opened up to a communal balcony overlooking the main street. The balcony was a nice spot to sit out and have a few drinks with friends (staying in the room next to us) as it was so large. Overall this place had it's pluses and minuses but I would stay here again.

Pros
Large, clean room
Easy downtown parking
Great location, walking distance to everything

Cons
very noisy at night, should have brought earplugs

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
RoyalAnneHotel, General Manager at The Royal Anne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 weeks ago

Dear C K,

Thanks so much for being our guest most recently! We're so glad, that despite the one CON, you enjoyed your stay enough to recommend us!

That our PROS far outweigh our CONS from a guest perspective, is huge & it means the world to us C K.
Incidentally, we do supply ear plugs in our night stands.... just as a side measure & YES, the PRO of our fantastic location, can also be a CON, when things occasionally get lively out on the street, in the wee small hours. (It's frustrating for us as business owners too.)
Fortunately, it does not happen all that frequently & as we enter low season, the activity & vibe will shift, with the streets becoming quieter.

That you enjoyed our amazing location enough to return in future, is really what it's all about & indicates to me that the PLUSES truly outshine the MINUSES. We'll look forward to welcoming you back someday!

Reviewed 9 September 2018 via mobile

Convenient location, nice rooms and amenities, such as laundry facilities, gym, good breakfast. Some noise in hallways from other guests. Free parking, near lake, restaurants and shopping. Pleasant staff.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
RoyalAnneHotel, General Manager at The Royal Anne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2018

Dear Seline,

As short, sweet & to the point as your review is, we thank you for taking time to post it & for pointing out features of your stay that were most important to you.

We're so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us & hope to welcome you back someday!

Reviewed 6 September 2018 via mobile

When we arrived to the hotel the bathroom was quite dirty. There was a lot of hair in the bathtub and was obviously not cleaned. The head housekeeper came to the room, and let her know that we were in a rush to get out but that she was welcome to clean it once we left - but ultimately didn’t do anything about it. So we cleaned someone else’s dirty hair out of the bathtub ourselves. The following day when we were leaving I asked the front desk to make sure our room was cleaned. However, it never was. Over the course of the weekend we called down and requested, and talked to the housekeeper on our floor and it never was cleaned. The response to this is they claim our room had been set to do not disturb, which is impossible for us to confirm because they have an uncommon light system that we have never seen before. But regardless of the color of a light, If a guest is drawing frequent attention to an uncleanly room then the housekeeping should be talking to the guests about the color of the light on their door, shouldn’t they? And perhaps asking if they can come in.
Finally, on the last day of our weekend we noticed blood stains on the duvet. I am a nurse and the color of stained blood is very recognizable and this very clearly was, and the manager claimed that it could have been any kind of stain. It is very clearly blood. The royal anne is not a cheap hotel so I would assume that they can afford to retire a duvet and purchase a new one when it gets contaminated by blood.
Finally, when I talked to the manager on the phone after returning home her response to the uncleaned bathtub was that “leftover hair in a bath tub does not mean it is unclean” and they blamed us for the room not getting cleaned despite our frequent requests. She offered $50 off the stay for the weekend, which equates to about to 5.5% of the total I paid when we arrived. I found this very insulting to have had to do our own housekeeping and had to sleep in blood stained linens. The only thing this hotel has going for it is the location, but I desperately advise against staying there if you value cleanliness and good customer service. I have also read quite a few reviews with similar stories so this is clearly a patterned behavior.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled with friends
RoyalAnneHotel, General Manager at The Royal Anne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2018

Dear Kendahl,

To begin with, as I expressed during our telephone conversation yesterday, we are very sorry that your guest room was not 100% at your time of check-in Kendahl. That our housekeeper failed to remove traces of hair in your tub when cleaning - prior to your arrival, is not acceptable or indicative of our normally high cleanliness standards. People do make mistakes however & sometimes things, such as a hair, can be overlooked. Which is NOT an excuse by any means. It's simply a fact... people are not perfect, despite their efforts.

In respect to the stain you discovered on our duvet, please be assured that the duvet is laundered after every check out. Despite your impression that the stain may (or may not) have been an old blood stain Kendahl, it does not mean the duvet itself is dirty, or that it should be discarded, as you've indicated. Not to be rude, but my question to you is if you would throw out a perfectly good set of sheets or a duvet at home, because it happened to have an old, small stain on it? Especially, if the stain is not normally apparent?

As it is in hospitals & hotels around the world...5 star or not, bedding & sheets are laundered & reused. They are also discarded when it is appropriate to do so.

That there was a break in communication regarding servicing your room, is very unfortunate. If a DO NOT DISTURB light is on, my housekeeping team will not enter, or even knock on a guest room door. Generally speaking, guests can get very cranky about being disturbed when they've indicated they do not wish to be disturbed. Again, we apologize for the miscommunication Kendahl, but it was not entirely the fault of our housekeeping staff.

In closing, I wish to say it was not my intention to insult you, by extending a $50.00 discount on your stay Kendahl. After weighing out your issues, the $50.00 rebate was what I felt was fair compensation, due to the overlooked hair in your tub. That you demanded a $50.00 discount per night & threatened to extort me with a bad review if I didn't oblige you, is truly regrettable & what I don't find fair.

Christa Park ~ Hotel Manager ~ Royal Anne Hotel

Reviewed 5 September 2018 via mobile

I would give top marks to Chloe on her customer service regarding several instances, one a noisy room adjacent to me and the other of a car without a wheelchair badge parked inappropriately. The noise issue sorted I unfortunately booked a second night. I was attending to my elderly mother whom had been admitted to emergency at KGH so having a restful night was needed to offset the stress of the day. Night 2, Friday of a long weekend, lots of busy-ness in the hotel, out on the street-the room across the hall was occupied by several young men whose friends were on a different floor and it was a lot of comings and going’s, loud voices and room and hallway exit doors slamming along with a pungent smell of pot. At one point when the noise abated I had written a request on the hotel notepad asking to please keep voices down and close doors quietly in consideration of guests trying to sleep putting it on the floor in front of their door. That seemed to work. The noise from the street went well past midnight but I realize totally out of the hotels control. Upon checking out the next day I mentioned the noise and that perhaps a sandwich type board at the elevators at night requesting what I had asked on my note might be a good reminder to guests-I was told that there was that in the elevators already. Surprised me I hadn’t seen it but checked as I was moving things to the car and only read a notice of the no smoking policy for the hotel so the checkout person was sadly misinformed and not hugely sympathetic. I did leave comments on the in-room form, I’ve stayed in large hotels that use signage to remind guests to be quiet, it was not offensive at all.
On the plus side, the room was exceptionally clean and well appointed, comfortable bed, ample breakfast with vast selection. Many coffee shops and restaurants nearby as well. I read in one response to a review about sound proofing to be done soon but if you realize it’s already a problem think outside of the box, holiday merrymaking guests often need it put right in front of their faces as a reminder to be thoughtful of others. You could proactively provide that notice and avoid sleepless guests unhappy reviews. I would have liked to give more than a 3 but I try to be fair as some circumstances are out of your control BUT you know you have a problem so do what you can now until a more substantial remedy can occur.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled solo
RoyalAnneHotel, General Manager at The Royal Anne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2018

Dear Nikki,

Although not the best review we've ever received, I sincerely thank you for your feedback & appreciate your suggestions. I have also received your guest comment card, outlining your suggestion to post our NOISE POLICY & a request for guests to be considerate of other guests, in our elevator. Which incidentally I think is a great idea.

As a pro-active measure, we've posted a letter regarding our NON SMOKING policy in our elevators the past number of months, due to pending marijuana regulation & increased sensitivity to cigarette smoke. For the comfort of the majority of our guests, we felt we needed to prioritize our message & clearly state we are a completely NON SMOKING facility. As most guests ride the elevator, it's the most obvious place to state our policy.

Unfortunately, despite our very best intentions not everyone gets the message.....despite what the posted message might read. Whether it's not smoking on site or being considerate of our house noise policy, it really comes down to guests being respectful of other guests when in a hotel, displaying some common sense & simply following the rules.

Whether this hotel or any other, despite verbal instructions at time of check-in, posted messages in the elevators or hallways & written regulations on registration cards, when guests come to party, they forget all the requests & warnings that hotel staff has outlined for them & totally disregard house rules. When alcohol or drugs are involved, there is simply no regard or respect for the property, or other guests within. Which is disruptive for everyone around them.

As a responsible hotel that cares deeply about the comfort of our guests, in anticipation of high traffic weekends, we bring in security as an added measure & will evict offending guests, when we're aware of serious guest violations. That these measures were not taken during your stay, can only be because we were not aware of the severity of the disturbance. For that, we sincerely apologize Nikki.

Despite your impression, we attempt to be pro-active about our policies & wish to assure you our guest comfort is most important to us. We truly regret that you stay was anything less than completely enjoyable Nikki & thank you for your helpful feedback regarding signage.