“Friendly staff”

Ranked #2 of 55 Hotels in Kamloops
Kelowna, Canada
“Friendly staff”
Reviewed 15 April 2012

The first thing I noticed was the friendly and helpful staff, made me feel welcomed. The Coast
Hotel chain I guess just took over the site and are in the process of a needed upgrade and clean-up like carpets,towel bars coming off, dents and cracks. We had dinner in the hotel and it was great, again fantastic service and food. The hotel was flawed in the building as the builder cheaped out in preventing the noise pollution to enter rooms another disapointment
was poor tv set up, I could not get my remote to work properly and there were no pay for view
movies even though it lists it on the web site, I book try to book hotels with this feature as I stay
up late and want to watch a new movie with no commecials. The pool set-up is great for children
as we could sit near the pool and play games at a table as my grandkids played in the pool.
I would stay here again because of the friendly staff, good food ect. They would need to get
pay per view movies though. My mom left an expensive jacket in her room and is calling today
to retreve it so we will see how far there customer service goes.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Angela T, Director of Sales at Coast Kamloops Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this review, 10 May 2012
We appreciate you staying with us and letting us know your thoughts. I am pleased that you enjoyed the warm welcome our staff is known for. We have been updating the hotel since last October and have renovated our entire south wing from floor to ceiling and everything in between. Our lobby, pool area and entrance are now refreshed and inviting. This upcoming winter we will complete the project in our north wing. The sound proofing is normally quite good here as it is concrete construction, but my apologies that you encountered some noise issues. I am sorry there was not access to pay per view movies. This is not on our Coast Hotels & Resorts website, but I will look around to try to see the source for that information to enable us to remove it. We may offer this feature in the future, but not immediately. I hope your mom got her jacket back and we have the pleasure of seeing you again in the future.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed 10 April 2012

The hotel was very clean, very large sized rooms. It was great to have a seperate sink from the regular sink in the bathroom. It allowed for more than one person at a time to get ready. The staff was courtious and very quick to assist with any of our requests.

Room Tip: Can get a little noisy, north tower was quieter as banquet room was on the south side. It was great...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
I am pleased you enjoyed a wonderful stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 29 March 2012

We stayed here recently as we were in town for a sporting event. The rooms were actually pretty clean and the beds were pretty comfortable. We won't stay here again becuase of 2 things -- on one of the nights the fire alarm went off for 5 minutes and scared us all out of our wits. When I called the front desk they said they were investigating it and it did stop shortly but, it did leave me reflecting on a previous review that cited the same thing and I have to wonder if this happens frequently. I hope not but, I never did receive an explanation from the front desk as to what had happened. The other disappointment was that we were involved in our sporting event all weekend and when we finally went to use the pool on the Sunday afternoon it was CLOSED! Seriously, what hotel closes the pool on a Sunday afternoon?! I had 2 very sad girls over this turn in events and we will be looking elsewhere when we travel to Kamloops next.

Room Tip: Stay in a renovated room. Check on the swimming pool maintenance schedule!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Angela T, Director of Sales at Coast Kamloops Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this review, 10 April 2012
Thank you for your review of our property. I am happy to hear your room was comfortable and clean during your stay with us. I am sorry to hear the alarm went off during your stay without any explanation readily available at that time. I am not sure which review you are referring to about this happening previously, but I can assure you that the alarm going off in the night without reason is not a regular occurrence. My apologies the pool was unavailable for your use on Sunday afternoon. Our engineering team had to perform some maintenance to this area and we generally try to undertake these projects at the end of weekends when the hotel has the lowest occupancy and when the majority of leisure guests are heading home for the upcoming week. The majority of the time this scheduling works best, but I am sorry that this was not the case for your girls. We regret that you do not intend to return due to these two disruptions, but hope that you will reconsider. We do have a lot of amenities to offer and continually strive to ensure every guest stay is a positive one.
Prince George, Canada
Reviewed 11 March 2012

I recently travelled to Kamloops for business and stayed one-night at this hotel. Upon arrival I was impressed with the decor inside but this changed when I stepped into my room. I understand one of the wings was recently renovated -- I did not have the pleasure of staying in one of those rooms. Walking through the hotel it was apparent there was some "unfinished" business (i.e., broken ice machine in the middle of a walk-way, no drink vending machines on the floors, etc) which detracted a bit from the stay. My room was definitely big enough, but oddly laid out with a sink opposite the bathroom door (right at the entrance) and a large wardrobe beside the sink angled to provide some privacy (I think...not sure really why it was like that). The carpet and linens were out-dated and tired looking and the bathroom was very basic and not entirely clean (hairs on the floor and in the tub). On a positive note, the restaurant inside the hotel, Ora, was very nice. Dinner was exceptional and breakfast was great. While it was a reasonable price, I don't think I would stay here again until the entire hotel is renovated.

Room Tip: As for the renovated north tower
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
We appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with us, in regard to your recent stay. You are correct that our recent, extensive updates were to 105 rooms of our south wing, the lobby and hotel entrance. From there we have been replacing the tiling in the pool area and the hallway toward the north wing. From your comments I know that you were here exactly when we were replacing the tiles where the ice and pop machines had been pulled out to tile. Additionally we were replacing the old vending machines with new ones to change product lines and ensure quiet running equipment. This has since been completed. I am sorry the transition was occurring while you were here. We have so many positive changes happening, but we need to complete them during the slower season. The large rooms you mentioned are typical of the entire property. In the original design there was an extra sink with the coffee services, placed in the room across from the washroom. With the renovations we have undertaken in our south wing, this layout was altered and the extra sink removed. Additionally the tiles, tubs, sinks, carpet, furniture and all vanities were demolished and replaced. We could not complete both wings in advance of this summer’s season, so the north wing will see the renovations this winter when occupancy permits us to. In the interim, we will be replacing all of the linens in the north wing this month to freshen up the feel of those guest rooms. They will also be offering cotton sheets with 310 thread count and duvets. When you stay with us in the future, please let the desk know if there is any issue with cleanliness, so they can resolve the issue, as it is not an acceptable norm for our operations. We are very pleased you enjoyed your dining experiences in Ora Restaurant Lounge. We do encourage you to come back anytime now and book a south wing room to ensure the positive overnight experience you are seeking. Please visit our hotel website to view photos of the guest rooms.
Prince George, Canada
Reviewed 14 January 2012

Went there recently for a family event. Really liked the room, it was obviously recently renovated. The beds were very comfortable. I liked the veranda overlooking the atrium / pool area, great when you're socializing with a large group. You could look out and see where your group was. On the other hand, if you were in the pool or hot-tub everyone in the hotel could watch you and I would've preferred a more private area for a swim and soak. Also, voices in the atrium carried up to the rooms really easily. If the hotel was busier it might have been more of an issue, but most of the rooms were taken up by my extended family so it just felt social to me. The dinner buffet had a nice selection, we had a good breakfast at Ora's and a nice evening drink / social in the lounge. Cozy and modern. The hotel is close to Aberdeen Mall, which means there's an Earl's restaurant, Cora's, and Ric's Grill within 5 minute drive. Took us less than 10 minutes to drive right into town.
The lay-out of the hotel is a bit nutty. It feels like you have to walk forever to get to your rooms, because it's in a "U" shape and the entrance is at the other end of the "U" from the rooms. The conference centre downstairs is a bit of a rabbit warren, as another reviewer mentioned, but I still didn't have any difficulty finding the right conference room and there's lots of space for mingling in the hallways around the conference rooms. The room we were in had theatre-style seating, and also half-round tables that flipped up. This made it really easy to transition from presentation to mingling over lunch. But, the tabletops are not wiped down frequently enough, a couple of them were dirty.
I asked the front desk for a lint brush, they didn't sell them or seem to know how to come by one but they very kindly gave me some packing tape to de-lint my suit with. I'm used to staying in hotels that have either complimentary toiletries (razers, hairspray, etc) or a little store to purchase forgotten items.
Overall, I enjoyed my stay and would definitely stay here again. I thought the rate was very competitive.

Room Tip: You have a choice of looking over the indoor pool area, or looking over a mall area. I think the roo...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
Angela T, Director of Sales at Coast Kamloops Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this review, 23 January 2012
On behalf of The Coast Kamloops Hotel & Conference Centre, thank you very much for sharing your thoughts. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your room and the pool area with your group. While all of our hotel rooms have been updated as recently as 2009, our most extensive renovations are currently taking place in the south wing near the lobby. This area was closed during your visit and is scheduled to re-open February 1, 2012. We are proud that you found our north wing rooms still very comfortable and well-kept.

The selection on the Friday & Saturday night dinner buffet served in the Atrium from Ora Restaurant is one that keeps locals coming back again and again, so I am happy you were able to partake. They also offer a Sunday brunch if you happen to be back on another weekend. I appreciate you pointing out the other nearby dining options and our proximately to the downtown core.

Your advice regarding the flip-up tables in the convention space are appreciated and have been passed along to the banquet manager to ensure this is taken care of immediately.
Although we did not offer a lint brush as one of the complimentary amenities available at our desk, we do offer a wide variety of personal hygiene products for guests who may have overlooked an item when packing for their trip. In the near future, we intend to launch a small convenience shop within the hotel lobby offering a broader selection of amenities.

Thank you once again, we are grateful you took the time to share your thoughts and suggestions.