“Still good overall but safety concerns this visit”

Holiday Inn Suites Kamloops
Ranked #14 of 54 Hotels in Kamloops
Reviewed 21 October 2017

I have stayed at this property during business trips on several occasions. It is one of the nicer places in Kamloops and easily the best place on the north side. It's close to the airport, has an attached White Spot restaurant and plenty of parking. Rooms are good and still look new although they are lacking in some of the more modern conveniences like USB outlets and connections for the TV.

The lobby is spacious and staff is friendly. Check in is always smooth; I'm usually in my room within 5 minutes at the most. This particular visit they were having the carpets cleaned which wasn't a big deal as obviously they need to keep the place clean.

I went to the stairwell to head out in the evening and noticed that the carpet cleaners had left hoses coiled up in the landing of the stairwell. To me this is an obvious fire hazard. I went to the front desk and suggested they speak with the carpet cleaners and the hazard they had left. With the brightest, cheeriest smile the agent said "it's okay, they are coming back tomorrow to clean". There wasn't even the slightest realization that you shouldn't leave tripping hazards in stairwells, especially overnight.

Thankfully nothing happened and admittedly there was a minuscule chance that any problems would occur. However, that's not the point. I hope this review triggers some training with staff and vendors as to the importance of fire safety. I've attached pictures if there is any doubt about my claim of hoses in the stairwell.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
3  Thank Allan A

Reviewed 21 October 2017 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel as a stop over, so we got in quite late, and left early. The staff were friendly and efficient. The room was ok, but had a smell to it. The hallways also had the same smell. I can’t really describe it, but it was not pleasant. Kind of like an old cooking smell? The rooms are in need of some fresh paint and carpet. The bed was ok. Honestly, I don’t think I would stay here again considering available similar options.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Suites Kamloops, responded to this reviewResponded 24 November 2017

Dear LBardier,

I would like to thank you for taking your precious time to write a review regarding your stay with us. Our goal is to deliver exceptional service and comfortable accommodation to all of our guests and we appreciate your feedback. I am pleased you have acknowledged our friendly and efficient staff. However, we apologize your stay was negatively affected by the the unpleasant smell in the room and hallways. We appreciate you bringing these concerns to our attention as this is our best resource to know how our hotels are being managed to a high standard and to evaluate what can be given additional attention. I have alerted the hotel management about your concerns so that necessary improvements will be taken, as we work very hard to ensure our facilities and guest services are superior.

Thank you for staying with us and we hope to offer you a more pleasant stay in the future.

Grace P.

Reviewed 1 October 2017

It was the 25th of September, my wife's birthday, we had been having a great trip and were back on our way to Vancouver. Having spent much of the day travelling from Quesnel to Kamloops we booked in on spec knowing that we should have for quality, we booked a room with a king size bed the room and facilities attached were fine, however the experience in the resturant and bar was abysmal. We asked for a number of dishes to begin with and were told that they were unavailable. We finally settled on the pork chop with apple chutney for myself and a chicken pie for my wife, both of us wanted it with mashed potato and vegetables , and a bottle of a BC Sauvignon for drink.

The for arrived and it was disgusting and embarrassingly so as the waitress was very personable. The food in both cases was not cooked properly and in both cases appeared to have been cooked from frozen. This in itself would have been fine if the pastry on the pie was not raw in the middle, the pork chop was like stone. The mash was dry and inedible. We explained this to the waitress and heard her telling the chef of the problem........just no apology, we then retired to the bar where I spoke to the woman who served us and told her the same, initially she told us she was the manager, then that she was not but would get her manager to call us. In addition she told us that they had had a large turnover of staff and that the chefs were trainees, I explained that it was not acceptable to have our disgusting meals prepared by trainees, I took her to task regarding the apple chutney served as it was just cubed apples on top, she told me this was normal in BC as the apples were very crisp and would not cook down and then proceeded to tell me how much she enjoyed the pork chop as it was served. Whatever you do do not eat there it is a rip off......sorry Holiday inn , the brand we thought we could depend on , let us down and on my wife's birthday!! By the way the bottle of wine.....well to add insult to injury was not up to scratch and corked.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Suites Kamloops, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2017

Dear jazzfizzcat,

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback regarding your stay with us. We give the utmost importance to our guest comments as they help us monitor how our hotels are being managed to an IHG standard. I am pleased to see the above average rating provided on your sleep quality and rooms. Despite these, we apologize your dining experience negatively affected your stay. We are truly sorry for falling short of your expectations. Your feedback is important to us and it helps us focus our attention on the things that are important to our guests. Rest assured that your concerns will be addressed to the hotel management for review to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Once again, thank you for staying with us and we hope that this will not deter you from giving the hotel another chance to make your stays as pleasant as possible.

Grace P.

Reviewed 30 September 2017

This was a nice Holiday Inn. It was clean and well maintained. The rooms were clean. There was not a breakfast buffet, but we were given vouchers for the restaurant. The food was good. The pool and hot tub were nice. The gym was small, but adequate.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 September 2017 via mobile

The room was clean, except for some staining on the carpets. It had everything we needed.

Unfortunately, we had poor service at the front desk. We showed up early, around 1:30 and asked to check in. We travelled to many different hotels all across Alberta and BC this week, and we generally didn't have a problem checking in an hour early, but we were willing to wait.

The rooms weren't ready, but instead of a polite "I'm sorry your room isn't ready" response that we were expecting, we received an unfriendly, unapologetic one. She made us feel like we were doing something wrong. We waited in the lobby for 1.5 hours and when the rooms were ready she ignored us and checked in other people first who just arrived.

This hotel is inexpensive, but I can't say they have the best service.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Suites Kamloops, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2017

Hi Alissa7890,

Thanks for posting a candid review for Holiday Inn Kamloops, BC. We appreciate your stay with us!

I am sorry to hear that you were not able to check in early. The standard time of check in is 3:00 pm onwards. As always, requests are subject to availability on arrival. We strive to give our guests accommodations as soon as possible, and we thank you for being patient while housekeeping made sure that your room was perfect. Our reception staff will be given immediate feedback internally to ensure that our usual high standards of service are met consistently.

It's good to know that the room met your requirements. We hope to have the honor of welcoming you back!

Kind Regards,