“Party Central....not for us”

Sheraton Red Deer Hotel
Ranked #9 of 29 Hotels in Red Deer
Edmonton, Canada
“Party Central....not for us”
Reviewed 1 May 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights this past weekend and we were very disappointed. The noise from the partying people was terrible on Friday and Saturday night. Saturday night was the worst, there was a group that had rooms next to us and we were woken at 1:30am to screaming yelling swearing banging etc. They had clearly been to the bar and had set up camp in their rooms and the hallway to party all night. They were opening and slamming their doors about every 30 seconds, kicking on the doors and fighting. They didn't stop until they checked out on Sunday, it was absolutely brutal and was the worst experience we have ever had at a Hotel. The Front Desk staff didn't seem to care much, they admitted to having complaints about them but nothing was done.

The next morning there was no hot water and the Front desk said that they were down to one boiler and to check in 15 minutes. We left for 2 hours without showering, came back and there was still no hot water. The Front desk girl was not helpful and seemed to care less because I'm sure she got a hot shower that morning. Monday morning: No hot water AGAIN! I understand that these things can happen but when I called again about the water and I was never rude about it, they just didn't seem to care at all. We couldn't get out of there quick enough. The few bright spots were on Sunday night it wasn't noisy so we had 1 good sleep out of 3 nights. We were on the 5th floor and they were still cleaning the rooms into the night. The girl who was cleaning the rooms on our floor said the rooms were left a disaster.

We will never ever stay here again, we usually stay at The Hampton when we go to Red Deer. This trip we decided to try something different which was a terrible mistake. I'm sure the Hotel is fine for a Sun-Thur stay but i would not recommend staying on a Fri Sat night if you like peace quiet and sleep.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank EdmontontoVegas
Gil V, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Red Deer Hotel, responded to this review, 4 May 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us.

I am sorry to hear that you encountered so many very disappointing experiences while you were staying with us. We do have a “quiet time” standard that our security team is to be enforcing as of 11pm each night and I will be looking into why this was not the case while you were here.

The lack of hot water while you were here is something that we have taken very seriously, and I am pleased to inform you that we have ordered a brand new water heater.

Please be assured that we have discussed the service issues you reported with our staff and used your feedback to assist in their growth and development. We sincerely appreciate the opportunity to learn where our weaknesses lie and will be working with our team to improve on them.

It would absolutely be my pleasure to welcome you back to the Sheraton Red Deer so that you can experience all of the changes we will be implementing. Next time you are planning a trip to Red Deer please do not hesitate to contact myself directly.

Thank you again for taking the time to offer us your feedback.

Janine Wolfe
Assistant Director of Rooms
Sheraton Red Deer
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed 30 April 2012

I have mixed feelings about the Sheraton in Red Deer. On one hand the gym is beautiful, and the rooms are clean (beds are comfortable).

The first night I arrived the whole first floor of suites reeked like marajuana. It made me wonder if I was satying in a four star hotel or some truckstop dive. When serving staff arrived late night to provide munchies to the delightful stoners in my hallway neither part bothered to keep their voice down. This place does not have great sound proofing. I would advise against staying there if you are a light sleeper.

Also, I am set back quite a bit from this trip due to the serving staff.

I ate at the restaurant and had room service and I was never given a copy of a reciept. I need itemized recipets to claim them as buisness expenses. I wasn't able to chase down a server on a few occasions because they get your signature and depart very quickly. While it was an error on my part not to demand a second recipet beofre signing I did go to the front desk and ask for an itemized list of the charges,

They said that was not possible. I have worked in a hotel and I know that it usually is possible to obtain itemized recipets because guests occasionaly have questions or concerns about their room charges. I know it is difficult, but not impossible to obtain. A part of what makes a great hotel is willing to do a little extra for a guest. In this case the money will be coming out of my pocket.

I looked around the website and was not able to find an email that I would be able to forward my complaints too. You need to sign up to leave a review. I am already not pleased with the Sheraton--that does not make me inclined to sign up and recieve their promotions.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Gil V, General Manager at Sheraton Red Deer Hotel, responded to this review, 3 May 2012
Hello and Thank you for your review.
I am glad to hear that you were able to take advantage of our brand new top of the line fitness centre which was part of our $12 Million dollars renovation.
I want to touch base on your comment about the smell of marijuana in the air, Sheraton Red Deer Hotel is a non-smoking facility and does not condone illegal activities. It is unfortunate that other guests’ activities left you with a poor impression of our hotel.
You had also mentioned not being provided with receipts for any of your meals, Our hotel guests are predominantly business people who expense their meals back to their company. Obtaining a copy of a receipt is always a possibility and can be obtained by asking your server. I would hate for you to have to pay for your meals out of pocket so could you please contact our Director of Food and Beverage Greg Everts at 403-346-2091 ext. 3166 and provide him with a few details so that we can provide you with copies of your receipt.
Please remember that YOU the guest are the reason we are here. If there is anything you ever need please do not hesitate to pick up the phone and contact me directly. We look forward to having you back to our hotel to have the opportunity to meet and exceed your expectations.
Edmonton, Alberta
Reviewed 28 April 2012

My husband and I, who not only travel together but work together too, stayed at the newly renovated Sheraton Red Deer on April 26 and 27, 2012, for a work conference.

Whereas the conference program on the 26th left somethings desired, the hotel itself was very good.

The two buffet lunches I consumed (on two different days) were surprisingly good and the one buffet dinner offered prime rib sliced as so wished and actual smoked salmon, not the fake painted and marinated version.

The rooms were like brand new after a multi million dollar renovation. The 2 queen sized beds, with gloriously inviting white fluffy bedding, made me want to jump into them and on to them like a kid.

The dance floor in the hotel bar was hopping on a Thursday night, but the staff was over zealous in maintaining their command presence early in the evening when evicting a female patron for no reason other than having a good time on one's own in a sparsely populated bar.

As I am not a fan of ongoing county music, I didn't stay at Billy Bob's Country & Western Bar, which is connected to the hotel.

Overall the staff was helpful and efficient.

Parking was free with room and easily accessible.

I would definitely recommend staying here when you are next in Red Deer, Alberta. Bring your cowboy hat and drink lightly.

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank SisuGirl2011
Gil V, General Manager at Sheraton Red Deer Hotel, responded to this review, 1 May 2012
Hello and Thank you for your review.
We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your visit to our hotel and appreciated the comfort and relaxation that our Sheraton Sweet Sleeper® Bed.
Our food and beverage team takes great pride in their work and create only the best for YOU the guest.
We look forward to your next trip to Red Deer!
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 26 April 2012

When I was last here 5 or 6 years ago I remember being unimpressed by the dated decore and atmosphere - definitely not the case now! Has a feeling of sophistication and class; room was quite clean (although the top of the headboard and the phones had not been dusted in a while); there was attention to detail (almost) everywhere. Was disappointed with the in-room dining - ordered the Barbero's Burger and the bun was completely soaked through with oil/grease and I had to discard it.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Gil V, General Manager at Sheraton Red Deer Hotel, responded to this review, 27 April 2012
Hello and thank you for your review!
I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your visit to the Sheraton Red Deer Hotel.
Our associates take great pride in their work and attention to detail. Thank you for noticing their efforts. You had pointed out the dusty spots in your room, I will have out housekeeping team take extra care and attention in dusting the areas mentioned. I am sad to hear that your room service meal was not to your expectations. Please reach out to me before your next stay so that I can make this up to you.
Thank you once again, we look forward to your return to Sheraton Red Deer Hotel.
Stony Plain, Canada
Reviewed 24 April 2012

I recently stayed here while attending a conference. The signs in the lobby say the hotel was recently renovated to the tune of $12 million. It shows. The lobby is new and easy to navigate, my room was very well appointed, although the lack of a mini-fridge was a surprise. Everything else looked brand new. The service was very good. Check in was a breeze, check out was even easier, both staff members were very friendly and great to deal with. I didn't use the restaurant or lounge, as meals and drinks were included at the conference, but they looked nice. Next time I need to stay in Red Deer, I'll come back here for sure.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Gil V, General Manager at Sheraton Red Deer Hotel, responded to this review, 25 April 2012
Hello and thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.
We are pleased to hear that the check in and check out process was a simple, friendly and painless process for you the guest. We strive for success each and every day and it is clear that by reading your review we achieved our goal.
We look forward to your return to our hotel, and would like to remind you that if ever there is anything you need (like a fridge) please ask.
Thank you once again for your positive review,
GV