Bear Hill Lodge
  • Pool
US$ 129
Hotwire.com
  • Free Internet
All reviewshomemade granolaqueen cabinheritage log cabinsingle bedhot tub and saunagas fireplacecentral heatingbreakfast was excellentminute strolla lovely place to staythese cabinsstay there againcontinental breakfastwithin easy walking distancestayed here for nightswalk into townroom was clean and comfortable
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 26 February 2018

We rented two full deluxe chalet suites for our family of 12. Worked out perfectly. Lots of room, cozy and clean. The beds were comfortable and we loved the fire places. Most of our group made use of the hot tub.

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 February 2018 via mobile

I had a pleasant and cozy stay at one of the chalets of this lodge. My husband and I made reservations about a week before our wedding anniversary. It was easy to find the place since Jasper is a small non commercialized town. Check-in was very smooth and the lady at reception was helpful and answered all our questions. What can I say, I always dreamt of enjoying a glass of sparkling wine beside wood burning fireplace on a cold winter evening. This wish came true thanks to the wonderful management of the Bear Hill Lodge. When we entered our chalet, we noticed a thoughtfully placed chilled bottle of bubbly along with greeting card wishing us for 1st anniversary.
Growing up in a warm location and never having used a wood fireplace, I was a bit intimidated initially to use the fireplace for first time, but the lady at front desk gave us important details to ensure a smooth and safe use and stay.
Our room was equipped with coffee maker, electric kettle, and good quality coffee ground. Mattress was comfortable but average quailty, rest of the bedding was very clean, comfortable and luxurious to touch. The premises were maintained well in winter. There are picnic tables which can be used on summer. The hot tub area was clean and well maintained when we visited. It was a lovely stay overall.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 December 2017

We stayed in one of the new Bonhomme Villa Cabins. These are the newly built spacious units. Beautiful cabin but the furnace kicked on and would not stop running. We had the thermostat set to 20 but the furnace would not shut off, and the cabin temp showed to be over 35 degrees. We called and spoke to a gentleman, Frank, who is the manager and/or owner. He tried to convince us this is just how these units work and it will "eventually shut off." We went to bed miserable. It was -28 outside, but we had to crack windows to deal with the intense heat. It got very stuffy and hard to sleep.

The following day we returned after a day of skiing and going out to dinner to the furnace still running. We called again and he tried to convince us again it was normal and my husband was trying to explain something was really wrong with it. It was like we had to convince him to take us seriously and get someone to come take a look. He finally came out and as soon as he stepped into the cabin, he was taken back by the heat. I asked if someone could come look at it to fix it and he said no. He then said the only thing he could do was shut off the furnace completely and we could run off the heat from the fireplace all night. This was our only option, so we agreed but it was a very scary night sleeping with the fireplace on all night. Parts of the cabin were freezing and parts were burning up. I was in the loft and my friend was in the bedroom on the main level. We both woke up at 3 in the morning with dull headaches, short on breath, and slightly nauseous. It was very scary because we were worried it had to do with the fireplace running all night. We tried to stay calm and assume it was just because the air was so dry since the furnace was off and the air was just stuffy or something, but we both felt a little nervous it was carbon dioxide buildup from the cabin being so stuffy or possibly carbon monoxide (which would be very dangerous). We finally fell back asleep around 5 a.m. and the next morning were very sick and moving slow. We decided to check out and leave early and head back home to Edmonton, because we didn't want to spend another miserable night. Frank charged us a cancellation fee of $350 and when I called to say how ludicrous that is to charge us for inconveniencing us so bad and making us leave our vacay one day early due to the cabin issues, he said "Let's be honest - you're not leaving because of the cabin, you're leaving because it's too cold in Jasper." I was completely shocked. He was acting very nonchalant and like there was no issues with his cabin and basically called me a liar, suggesting we were leaving Jasper because it was too cold. He was smug and arrogant.

The new units are beautiful but maybe wait to book until some of the issues are worked out. Also, if you have any issues at all, management is very smug and rude so get ready for that. If he would have apologized and taken us seriously and offered some sort of compensation, we would be back as long as the furnace was fixed. We will never stay here again. After the scary experience and the way we were treated we will never be back or give them our business in the future.

Stayed: December 2017
7  Thank Jessica H
frank m, Owner at Bear Hill Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 1 January 2018

An unhappy story for all parties.

Day 1. I receive a late night call stating that the furnace is turned down but still blowing.
I ask the male caller what the settings are on the thermostat and they were correct. At this time, I inform him that the make up air system of this furnace will continue to push air in and will shut itself off.
The following morning I go over to check and I was told that it had shut down but that it took some time and that it was annoying .
Day 2. Early evening of the second day, I take a call stating that the unit is very hot.
The furnace was turned down but still blowing air in from the makeup air pump.
Frustration on the part of the clients is palatable.
I offered to shut the furnace down with it's make up air system. The unit has a supplemental gas fire place, so I wasn't concerned about anything freezing. This was agreed to and I shut the system down .
Day 3. At 3pm I'm informed that a call came in telling us that the party was checking out. Nothing was said about what is written above. Late check out policy was given over the phone. No one said anything. Keys were dropped off, and again nothing was said.
Approximately two hours later, a female called and was excited and aggressive over the phone. In an effort to refocus the conversation I said "lets be honest ". This made things worse ending with, "Who the f--- are you to ". Shortly after this the line went dead .

The late check out charge was reversed the same day and an email sent . The email that came back stated " your cabin gave me carbon dioxide poisoning ".

Shortly after the party had checked out , the heating and ventilation professional I had contacted on day two showed up. The furnace and its associated systems were all working properly . Our buildings all have hard wired interconnected Co2- smoke alarms As per the building code .All working properly .The gas fireplace in the living room has its own external air supply and exhaust . The furnace itself in in a self contained room with its own external air supply and exhaust.
The people before and those after did not have similar issues with this building .

I do not know what else to say! It's an unfortunate ,troubling and unhappy experience for all .

Reviewed 6 December 2017

We stayed here with our family and dog in November 2017. We rented two adjoining rooms in one of the Chalet. The room was clean and well appointed. We did not use it much but our room had a well equipped kitchen. Easy walk to downtown but far enough away so it was very quiet. We would come back again.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 November 2017

On first appearance, the log cabin was quaint and cosy, just as we'd expected. Then we tried to unpack our suitcases and found that there was not a single place to store anything! The bedrooms in particular are very compact, so when you're having to maneuver around the suitcase the whole time, it gets a bit irritating. This place could be so much better if they just added some pigeon holes to the walls or made use of the space under the beds for storage... I have never, in my 43 years stayed in any sort or accommodation other than a tent that didn't have some place to put a few clothes. Unfortunately, they weren't charging tent prices!
The outside had some nice deck chairs which we enjoyed using in the evening.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank wilkins_family29
frank m, Owner at Bear Hill Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 24 November 2017

Thank you for your feedback . I am sorry that you are disappointed.
Our Heritage log cabins are the original small log cabins from 1946. They were built without closets. Cabin dimensions are shown on our wed site .Due to their size and log construction, "pigeon holes " are not an option. Although your idea of under the bed storage has merit. Clothing hooks are on all bedroom walls in these cabins.
As these cabins are one of our seven unit types , perhaps you should have considered one of our larger units .