“Best Place to Stay in Ft Mac”
Review of Platinum Hotels

Platinum Hotels
Ranked #9 of 19 Hotels in Fort McMurray
Reviewed 30 April 2012

Free underground parking, free continental breakfast, every suite with two bedrooms, two baths, balcony, living area and kitchenette...this place is fantastic.

At first glance, you might not know what to make of a hotel above a Sears, but this is a fantastic hotel. Great by any standards (not just those of the mediocre hotels in town)!

While fairly expensive (but let's face it, any place worth staying in Ft Mac is), the awesome staff and wonderfully clean, modern rooms make this place well worth the money. Save On Foods is only 50 steps away as well as many local restaurants close by.

Their lounge has a limited but decent menu (mostly snacks) and offers a variety of drinks.

We come up for business every few months and from now on, will ONLY stay here!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 2 April 2012

I stayed at the Platinum Hotel for a month in March to finish a book I'm writing. The experience was outstanding.

I booked the hotel after seeing the photos on their website. I was curious to see if a boutique hotel actually existed in an industrial city. It turns out that yes, it does. The Platinum exceeded my expectations by a long shot. I stayed at at The Nomad in their honeymoon suite (room 607) for a couple of nights before booking into the Platinum, and I far preferred the Platinum; especially because it was $100/night less.

The Platinum is far different than any other hotel in Fort McMurray. From the hotel lobby to the second floor check-in, the property is reminiscent of the W in Times Square or the Sundial in Whistler - except that the rooms are much larger at the Platinum.

I managed to lock down the Infinity Suite (room 221) for the month; it was 1500 square feet of hardwood floors and high ceilings. The room itself was 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms with two large hallways and decent art on the walls that held its own. It also had a front and back deck. I spent a lot of time in the hotel working, sometimes not leaving my room for days. I would move from room to room for a change of scene when I got stuck writing a chapter or whatever.

My room had three large flat screens and three telephones. I think most of the rooms are set up like this. As an added bonus, all calls to anywhere in North America were free. The open kitchen had a nice granite countertop with full cutlery, plates, microwave cookware and a small bar fridge. There is also a digital safe and ironing set. The only obvious thing missing seemed to be bath robes, room service and a full service restaurant. There is also no gym but the front desk will give you free day passes to a fantastic new gym about a mile away at Keyano College. There are also lots of restaurants and shopping nearby. You couldn't ask to be better located than where the hotel is.

Although known for sub-zero temperatures, Fort McMurray is much sunnier weather than I expected, so part of my daily routine included a circuit that included stops at my bank, wal-mart, tanning salon, decent sushi at a great little place down the street called fuji's, photocopying at staples, and grocery shopping next door at save-on foods. There's also a liquor store right beside the hotel that is open until 2am. There is also a KFC and Shopper's Drug Mart close by, and the hospital and walk-in clinics are about a five minute walk. Two great breakfast places - the kozy comfort kafe and mom's restaurant are also just a short walk. The hotel offers free secure underground parking.

The Platinum has a small bar area in the lobby and offers free starbucks coffee and tea service 24/7. The hotel staff ranged from good to absolutely wonderful. Kim and Stephen were always incredibly friendly and helpful, but everyone down to the room attendants were pleasant.

If you're staying in Fort mcMurray for a long time, I highly recommend staying at The Platinum Hotel. But don't get it confused with the Platinum Residences which is close to the local strip club. The room at the Residences aren't as spacious.

Room Tip: Infinity Suite is the largest - room 221. 10% of proceeds go to charity!
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 February 2012

I felt at home from the moment I walked into this hotel. The place is imaculate- cleanliness is fantastic and the housekeepers are super friendly, and love to chat. The manager, Stephanie welcomed us when we arrived which was a nice touch. Sue, the evening lady was great lounge company and helped us with whatever we needed. Rooms are AWESOME and are fully furnished. The service in this hotel is much better than other hotels in Fort McMurray. Give it a try and see for yourself.

Room Tip: 211 the corner suite was quiet and had big windows.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 January 2012

Located off the east end of Franklin Avenue, this hotel is a ways away from the popular restaurants such as Earls, BP's etc, but there are some smaller restaurants located nearby, so you won't starve.

However, because of the small kitchen, complete with 2 ring stove, microwave, fridge, pots, pans and dishes, we opted to go to nearby Save-On-Foods and Sobeys and make our own healthy alternative meals - cheater chicken, bagged rice, salad etc. And felt much better for it!

We did have a rental car, so the location wasn't really an issue to us, but because it was January, and the temperatures dipped to -29, we did love the abundant heated underground parking!

Security is better than most hotels, as all outer doors are locked, including the garage door, and the door from the garage into the hotel. Also, all visitors to the hotel must pass the front desk which is attended 24/7. To access the hotel when checking in, merely press the buzzer for access, then go up to the 2nd floor by stairs or elevator to get to the front desk.

Next to the front desk is a small lounge where a free breakfast buffet is served. It is pretty minimal, but completely adequate with hot western omelettes, toast, muffins, cereal, fruit, milk, juice, coffee, and tea. You can also get packed lunch and bar snacks and beer/coolers here. Watch the TV or read your free paper (Edmonton Journal/Ft Mac Today).

Staff are super friendly and helpful. The (tiny) boardroom seats 5 or 6 but was free for our use during the evening.

The room was great. Clean, new and modern with laminate floors, granite countertops, modern fittings, and a glass stove top. One small bedroom with en-suite, and one slightly larger bedroom with a small balcony and a second bathroom. A small kitchen, small living/dining room with a two seater leather sofa, and tiny table with two chairs. Plus a desk with a chair. Intended for two people (by the seating) it will house up to four.

For two business colleagues it was much preferable than sharing one bedroom/bathroom, which is what we have done in the past, and only about $50 a night more (which we saved by eating in).

The suite is long and thin with access to daylight only in the second bedroom, also the heating and air conditioning is only in the second bedroom, which means that the temperature in the first bedroom is hard to regulate, though they have provided a ceiling fan to assist with this.

Clean white fluffy bed linens and towels promise a clean experience.

The suite was super hot most of the time 75+ and only cooled down when we opened the balcony door (remember it was January!). And we did have to request bulbs for our bedside lamps, presumably because guests have been burning the wallpaper with them, and need to be verbally warned.

There was a flat screen TV cleverly placed on the front of the side-opening closet with drawers under in each bedroom, and another in the living area with Shaw Cable including some HD, and one DVD player.

All in all an extremely pleasant business trip, which we look forward to repeating on our next visit in the summer.

Room Tip: We specifically requested a room in the main building, so that we had access to the amenities. Ther...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank VicletSmith
Reviewed 9 January 2012

Used to go often, the suites are nicely done up. However, I had an incident that scared me there. I woke up to find someone had gotten into my room and was sleeping on the floor. After getting the guy out, I let the front attendant know, he found out it was someone from upstairs. They determined the lock was functioning fine, so how did he get access to my room? I had both my card keys with me. After calling several times to speak to the hotel manager, I never got a callback. My company travel coordinator called several times as well and never received callbacks. Such customer service is deplorable. Travellers beware and use the deadbolt as the staff obviously do not consider this an important incident to address. Although the units are comfortable, the wifi signal is poor and on many occasions the wifi internet was not working. Otherwise, it was a nice hotel prior to the incident.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business