“More Bar than Dinner”

Price range: US$ 0 - US$ 18
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole, Diner
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Strathcona
Description: A unique dining experience serving Cajun and Creole cuisine. The sweet potato fries come highly recommended.
Reviewed 30 April 2018

This is not a place for families although from the outside most families are fooled. I used to like going to Dadeo when I was in university. It was a cheap filling meal. They changed their sweet potato fries recipe to one found in Canada vs. New Orleans. I have been to NOLA twice now and the food at Dadeo does not remind me of NOLA. I would recommend Louisiana Purchase if you are looking for New Orleans' flavour.

The reason for my low rating are the following: although they have vegetarian meals, the kitchen is not clean enough to prevent cross contamination. My vegetarian friends cannot go here do to the kitchen situation. The sweet potato fries used to be the best in Edmonton, now they are sadly like every other place you go - some type of coating on them that does not enhance flavour. I have gotten sick eating here twice. I am not a vegetarian and loved their po'boys when I was in university. I took a friend here when he was visiting from Calgary and I was sick the next day. I gave it another chance and had the same problem.
The manager (owner?) does not treat the staff very well and it is reflected in the service and food.
This bar could be so good but it needs to overhaul the kitchen in terms of cleaning, and creating area to keep meat and veggies separated. They should also be more open to having families.

Date of visit: May 2017
2  Thank RedDaisy007

Reviewed 16 April 2018

I have been enjoying Dadeo for years, and have never been disappointed. We came on this particular night right after a play at the Fringe, and were so grateful to get in immediately. Dadeo often has a long wait time as it is well-loved and has limited seating. I would recommend always making a reservation to make sure you don't miss out. Please note, no children! This place is 18+. If you have children, don't give up, just order your food to go! It is definitely worth it.

We devoured their featured appetizer, fried green tomatoes, with a delightful spicy cajun dipping sauce. We both had po-boys for supper. My catfish po-boy with potato hash was tasty and satisfying, with just the right amount of cajun kick. My hubby had their wonderful sweet potato fries as his side, handmade and the best in town! I always have trouble deciding between these two sides: they are both wonderful.

And make sure to leave room for their pecan pie! So good!!

Date of visit: August 2017
Reviewed 29 March 2018

In general, it's not bad. It does offer the New Orleans type of flavor.... but still need some improvements, such as, the fried oysters in my order were not good - dry and burnt a bit, and not much oyster in it

Date of visit: March 2018
Reviewed 20 March 2018

Dadeo has been on Whyte Ave for years. It offers a 50's diner type experience with Louisiana flavouring. It's a long narrow restaurant with seating opposite a bar that runs along the first half of the place, and seating on both sides of the walkway further in. The place is way darker than it should be. It's a diner and should be well lit to celebrate the decor. There's always people eating there and we were seated at a booth. Comfortable enough but the back moved a bit with people bumping into it. The table was clean and the paper napkins were large. Friendly staff that were hustling about taking orders, serving food and cleaning tables. They work as a team, although you get a specific server for your table. The menu is large with a focus on po' boy sandwiches. There is a page of different ones. I had the fried oysters with cajun rice, while my partner had the blackened catfish with potato hash. The order was preceded by their free mini biscuits with green jalepeno jelly...ok biscuit but not fluffy and the jelly had a hint of bitterness (the red sweet jalepeno jelly from Costco is much better, but I appreciate that this one is made in-house). We also had an order of cajun calamari, which was very well executed...panko crispy, soft squid, slight spicy dusting and a zingy dipping sauce. The po' boy bread was pretty good with a slight crust, soft chewy crumb and a double hand size. The inside had mayonnaise, a couple slices of tomatoes, bit of fresh lettuce and 3 deep fried oysters. It was good, but could have been great with slightly less overcooked oysters and a bit more lettuce/tomato which brighten the heavier sandwich. The blackened catfish was moist and flavourful...get this one instead. The rice and potatoes were meh. The side coleslaw as a creamy and fresh crunchy...quite good. The prices are ok but approaching the expensive side at $16 per sandwich. You have many choices at that price point, but you can only get the experience at Dadeo. I'll go again sometime, as there are other classic items to try.

Date of visit: March 2018
Reviewed 16 March 2018 via mobile

Da-De-O is one of Edmonton's long-running, single location restaurants.

Reservations recommended for busier times. Closed on Wednesday (I have always found this odd).

The menu is loaded with spicy food and sandwiches (Po Boys). Rib jambalaya is my staple. It has a definite kick and is more than enough to satisfy most appetites.

The only reason I do not frequent Da-De-O is the cost. It is not cheap. Slight discount for Po Boys on Mondays.

Date of visit: August 2017