“Great sushi & loads of choice!”
Review of Kyoto

Kyoto
Ranked #415 of 2,762 Restaurants in Edmonton
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 16 March 2018

I just felt a pang a jealousy...my husband is currently still in Edmonton but leaving soon, while I have been back in South Africa since last week and he mentioned they were going to Kyoto today for lunch!
Don't get me wrong, we have awesome sushi in South Africa especially Cape Town, but the variety that we found at Kyoto is hard to find here. It's my job as sushi beast to comment on sushi restaurants all over the world as you can see from my Tripadvisor contributions, and Kyoto should definitely not miss on the list!

I would go back anytime, the food was always delicious (during my two weeks in Edmonton we went at least 3 times :) and the choice, especially for us used to an average salmon-tuna-prawn choice, was amazing, from a variety of salmons, to tunas including our beloved -but hard to get in SA- toro, octopus, white fish, scallops, crab you name it they have it.
For Canadian standards I found the prices pretty ok, and the service was always friendly. I would definitely recommend (and this is the sushi beast talking people, give me some credit! :)

Reviewed 4 January 2018 via mobile

Went to Kyoto south on 109 street today. Had Mackenzie as my server...service was fast and food was good like always. Been going there for over 10 years. Never disappointed :)

Reviewed 11 August 2017 via mobile

We had dinner at this outlet and it was quite decent and satisfactory. We ordered tempura, udon noodle soup, dynamite rolls, maki, avacado roll. All were perfect and we thoroughly enjoyed. The green tea was perfect icing on the cake. Would definitely go back.

Reviewed 6 June 2017

I ordered the deluxe tataki and the pan-fried teriyaki chicken for a late night dinner. The deluxe tataki is expensive but was not good (the sauce they put does not taste good with the sheared fish pieces at all !).
The pan-fried teriyaki chicken is even more disappointed: the way they cooked it is not authentic Japanese food at all, more like Western food or stir fry Chinese food ! Just a few small pieces of chicken fried with the teriyaki sauce on them, a medium bow of rice, the rest is just stir-fry vegetable and it's $ 20 for this dish ?!! I should have gone home and cooked my dinner instead of eating here. Guess it was the price of being lazy.
The green tea cheesecake does not taste like green tea flavour at all :(

I'm not going back here.

Reviewed 18 February 2017

We were super hungry and had been looking for an all-you-can eat in the neighborhood but both had recently shut down so landed at Kyoto- glad we did. The restaurant was about half-full at lunch time and service was friendly and quick. Our request for a spicy tunas cone morphed into a serving of spicy tuna rolls but close enough! My husband had the chirashi bowl that has ample variety and very generous cuts of sashimi- yum! Also ordered half orders of tempura, tuna sashimi, and rainbow roll- everything arrived promptly and was very good quality. Whoever was cutting sashimi today was in a good mood- the portions were huge. Ended up taking some home with us- will be back soon.