“Beautiful location; a pleasantly memorable stay”
Review of Hotel Selkirk

Hotel Selkirk
Ranked #53 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
Edmonton, Canada
“Beautiful location; a pleasantly memorable stay”
Reviewed 23 August 2012

The Hotel Selkirk is located on the side of the Fort Edmonton historical park in the river valley of Edmonton. I've visited Fort Edmonton many times with family and to attend functions in different buildings. My husband and I were looking for a nice night away without the cost of travelling outside the city, and we heard the Hotel Selkirk was accepting regular hotel guests. Being able to walk the grounds of Fort Edmonton on a warm evening was magical. We stayed on a Tuesday, so it was very quiet and we could hear some of the wildlife in the river valley; there is also a nice little park and fountain right across from the Hotel. The room itself was well appointed and clean, but sparse, true to the 1920's era it is supposed to reflect. The temperature was right, although I would have preferred being able to open a window. The night clerk wasn't at the desk when we arrived, but she showed up a minute or so after we rang the bell. She, and the other staff, were professional and friendly. We also enjoyed visiting the park the next day. I would recommend this hotel for anyone looking for a one night getaway that's a little different.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Cold Lake, Canada
Reviewed 14 August 2012 via mobile

Even though we visit Edmonton often and have stayed in many area hotels, we have never stayed here. This was my husbands first visit to Fort Edmonton Park so thought this would be a treat. Entrance to the park is free with a hotel reservation, so this makes the Hotel Selkirk one of the cheapest hotels in the city. The room was lovely with a few extra perks, chocolates by the bed and a free teddy bear. The no TV was not an issue. Walking around Fort Edmonton after hours was very peaceful. I highly recommend this hotel for a unique and comfortable stay.

Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank formerbrit2003
Mundare, AB
Reviewed 14 August 2012

My friend's wedding was held at Fort Edmonton (ceremony at the Capitol Theatre- very neat), reception at the hangar. A bunch of us wondered where we should stay and decided to try the Selkirk. Well, what a neat little hotel! Exceptionally clean, comfortable bed, air conditioned, spacious bathroom....we booked a suite. Very reasonably priced. In the morning, we woke up to the steam train cruising through the park...it was a very neat experience and I would absolutely recommend the hotel for anyone who has a business or personal event going on at Fort Edmonton. We did not stay for breakfast although looked like there was a little restuarant. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Room 303 was tucked away, very quiet.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Harvie Heights, Canada
Reviewed 10 July 2012

A little oasis in the middle of a busy city. Hotel Selkirk takes you back in time with style. We truly enjoyed the TV free atmosphere (we borrowed the free Wifi from the city of Edmonton) and had a very quiet and relaxed stay. The corner room we had provided an excellent view to the old downtown area. Room rates are more than adequate although we would have preferred the price to include a breakfast. For international travellers its on the must do list for their vacation.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 15 June 2012

I stayed at the Hotel Selkirk last year as part of my solo trip to the park for three nights. At check in I was greeted by a friendly staff member at the front desk who gave me a wealth of information about the hotel and park features.

When I got up to my room it was large and spacious with a large queen sized bed which was very comfy. The bathroom was nice and clean with a tub and shower combo. On my bed there was a little souvenir Selkirk teddy bear greeting me and two truffles on the nightstand next to the bed. The room was nice and cool with the air conditioning, which was nice as it was 30 degrees outside. The internet is useful as the none of the rooms have any televisions, which is really the only thing they really could change to make it better. Whether it was to keep with the 1920's feel of the hotel or not, in room TV's would definitely be a plus. Never the less I had my laptop so I was able to watch some movies on that.

After a day in the park I came back to the hotel and stopped to ask the front desk if I could get a few bottles of Coca-Cola in an ice bucket to take back up to my room. She said it would be a few minutes and offered to bring it upstairs for me. During the evening, after the park closed, I went out for a stroll and enjoyed the nice fountain across from the hotel, but apart from that there isn't anything going on so a trip into Edmonton is in order.

The one thing I didn't try was the restaurant located in the hotel, but I found great food in the park during opening hours. After hours I was out of the park so I didn't get a chance to try the Johnson Cafe.

Check out was smooth and I was still able to enjoy the park until closing before heading home.

All in all it was a great experience which is why I am going back this year in just a couple days. ;)

Room Tip: All the rooms are good but if you are traveling with kids, I would recommend the room with two twin...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled solo