“Good hotel. Not too nice city.”

The Fairmont Hotel Macdonald
Ranked #11 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
GreenLeadersSilver level
NYC
“Good hotel. Not too nice city.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2012

I stayed here for 5 nights during a business trip.

The Good: charming building in a very old, kind of dated style. Felt like walking into an episode of Downton Abbey. Rooms were very clean though first room was small and overlooking the city with lots of street noise and thin walls. I could hear every conversation, cough and sneeze from next door. Mentioned the noise issues to front desk staff and was moved to a very pleasant river-view room. Staff: very pleasant and helpful.

The Bad: daily charge for internet access. Valet parking for over $30 a day. But the one that bothered me the most and would make me think twice about staying here again: way overpriced room service. This was really inconvenient because the area where the hotel is seems kind of sketchy in the late afternoon and evening. I did not think going out for dinner was a good idea so I was stuck eating in paying way too much for O.K. food.

Room Tip: River-view.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Rosie_NYC10021
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
  • Arabic first
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2012

I was in Edmonton last week on business and stayed at the Fairmont Hotel MacDonald. Located right downtown on a bluff overlooking the North Saskatchewan River, the hotel is easy walking distance to most destinations in the downtown core, and just a few minutes from the LRT (Edmonton subway).

My room was a standard Fairmont room, with a lot of space, big comfy king bed, nice bathroom that was fully appointed with the standard Fairmont stuff, and as expected, spotlessly clean. It was also surprisingly quiet in spite of being located closer to the elevator than I might have liked. Check-in took all of about 60 seconds thanks to the very helpful and friendly front desk staff.

After a full day of business meetings, I returned to the hotel for a quick shower and change, then set off downstairs for something to eat. I wanted something light, so chose the Confederation Lounge rather than the main restaurant. The food (steak sandwich) was terrific, and the beer (a local dark ale I forget the name of) was delightful. Service was awesome, as expected.

The Confed Lounge has a magnificent outdoor terrace that overlooks the river valley - it would be a treat to sit outside in nicer weather. Indeed, there are some old photos of the hotel on display, including a great shot from the 1920s of diners enjoying the patio.

Upon returning to my room, I was surprised to find that housekeeping had been by to offer an unexpected turn-down service. Excellent!

The next morning I was on my way home. Checkout was quick, my bill was correct, and again, the staff were super-friendly and helpful. All this, and for a room rate that was not a whole lot more than what they were asking at the Best Western.

In a nutshell, the building is magnificent, the service is magnificent, and while not the cheapest accommodation in town, the value cannot be beat. The Mac has a strong reputation as a great place to stay, and it's easy to see why.

Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Pay the small premium for a river view, it's absolutely worthwhile.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Cold Lake
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2012

My husband and I stayed here for our anniversary, so I booked the honeymoon suite, which was outdated, grungy carpet, but the bathroom was nice and big. Certainly not worth over $900 night! Closer to $200 or $300 would have been reasonable for this particular room. Dining room was closed, so we opted for the lounge, we sat and waited to be helped for over 20 minutes, when nobody acknowledged us, we got up and left. We ended up going to Ruth Chris' just 1 block away, and it was fabulous!! That was the highlight of our evening. We mentioned our concerns about the poor service in the lounge at checkout, and the offered to give us a discount on our next visit, too bad we won't be able to take them up on that as we will never return. Too pricey, poor service, unsatisfied.

Room Tip: Ruth Chris' down the street in Superb!
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Carrie U
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2012

We definitely enjoyed our stay at the Macdonald recently! From the time we drove up and the car was whisked away to for valet parking (much easier than trying to find parking yourself), to the breakfast buffet, to the cozy lounge, to the great pool and steam room, we felt pampered. We too were upgraded to a bigger room, which we appreciated, and our room rate was fairly reasonable as well. We chose to pay in advance, which costs the least. The only tiny complaint we had was that the hot water seemed not plentiful enough. It is probably difficult to heat water in such an old building. Also we commented to management that room service trays seemed to linger much too long in the hallways (this didn't affect us; it just doesn't look very sanitary). These are not dealbreakers, however, and I'm sure they will remedy this. The staff is amazingly helpful. If you are going to stay in Edmonton, this is the place to stay!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank TracyH6
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2012

I have to be honest, Hotel Macdonald was not my first choice. Once upon a time I lived in Edmonton so I know the Mac isn't one of the more affordable hotels....or so I thought. We booked a VERY affordable room at the Mac and got bumped to an executive suite due to a booking error! Hooray!
I'm not a fussy traveler. I expect exceptional SERVICE, pride in one's job, decor, cleanliness, and demeanor of staff. The Mac exceeded my expectations.
I could agree with some reviews. Was there a little lifting in the wallpaper in the bathroom? Yes. Do I care? No. Was the carpet discoloured in one or two areas? Sure. Again, do I care? No. I have children and an older home....I am familiar with trying to keep ahead of routine wear and tear.
The suite was very clean, very sanitary, no bugs, no dust, no left-behinds from previous guests. The pool was great for the children. The change area was fantastically accommodating. Everything was fresh and clean. The Mac shows it's character beyond all other hotels, and age in a few limited regards. I'm simply not the type of person to approach a 97 year old and complain that it's not maintaining itself like the 20 year old's around the area.
The hotel staff was above and beyond. Super helpful, very friendly, and clearly well educated for all guest questions (even gave me some tips on my upcoming stay at the Chateau Laurier in Ottawa). The breakfast buffet on Sunday was AMAZING! Seriously, if for nothing else, stay here for the breakfast buffet! So delicious.
My spouse was blown away, our daughters were giddy and giggling at all the fancy-ness. To be honest....we won't stay anywhere else in Edmonton from now on. The Hotel Macdonald won us over with it's SERVICE alone.
Oh! I almost forgot, the bed was deliciously comfortable and the location can NOT be beat!!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family