See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 8 August 2018 via mobile

I recently stayed at this hostel and it was a good stay. The recently renovated building was finished to a high standard. The dorm, communal areas and bathrooms were all very well kept and clean. The kitchen was clean and had everything you could need, including plenty of space/fridge to store food too. There was also a games room with table tennis and a pool table.

The staff were very helpful and security was good. Beds were comfortable and large lockers provided to store your luggage. On The downside there weren't individual lights for the bed spaces which was a shame.

The hostel itself, be warned, is across the river from the downtown area of the city. The number 9 bus connects to the city proper. In addition, there didn't seem to be much of an atmosphere. There were activities but they were poorly attended, that isn't necessarily the hotel's fault though.

Overall, a good but perhaps slightly clinical stay in Edmonton.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled solo
Greg W, Manager at HI Edmonton, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2018

Thanks for your comments. I'm pleased you really liked our renovations, staff, cleanliness, and amenities. We do have a bed light on each bunk-bed, so we'll check to see where one is missing. We're located in Old Strathcona - the most popular neighbourhood in the city for arts and entertainment. We're very close to the river valley trails, and less than a 10 minute bus ride downtown. Greg, Manager

Reviewed 10 April 2018

Clean place with friendly staff and great location right next to Whyte Ave which is great to go out, but the place does not have any charm. Everything you need is close by but the hostel has no vibe which is a little bit sad. They accommodate shows every now and then but that more disturbs the hostel guests than actually creating atmosphere.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
Greg W, Manager at HI Edmonton, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2018

Thanks for your comments. I'm pleased to hear you found the hostel clean, in a great location, and with friendly staff. However, I'm sorry that we didn't meet your full expectations. Greg, Manager

Reviewed 11 May 2017

I believe this place is run by someone who really knows what a backpacker really needs. The facility is so neat. I stayed in one of the dorms for 8 people and it was so spacious, beds are wide and sturdy. Customer service is excellent. I truly enjoyed my stay.
The lounge was neat with really modern furniture.The bathroom was very neat. I was able to store my luggage after checking out because my ride was scheduled to leave later in the day. You get to meet other travelers as well. This is the best hostel I have stayed in so far.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 October 2016 via mobile

Me and my sister stayed here for 2 nights as a stopover on our way to Jasper. I have only ever stayed in a hostel once before and this completely exceeded our expectations.

The hostel is located in an old part of Edmonton called Old Strathcona and there are plenty of nice eateries and bars nearby. There are also bus stops down the road with links into the rest of the city.

The staff were very friendly and helpful and as it was Thanksgiving weekend they provided pies in the common room for everybody to enjoy which was nice. There is also a lot of information about the city and things to do at the reception and on boards around the hostel.

We stayed in a private room opposite the women's washroom and everything was very clean and tidy. This includes the kitchen which has all the facilities you need to make a meal.

Towels are provided and you can use a washing machine for just $1.50.

All in all, a very enjoyable stay and would definitely recommend!

Stayed: October 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank francescawilkinson
Reviewed 18 April 2016

Hopefully the renos are done by now. Was a bit off the beaten track coming from the airport but I still managed to find the place. It's a couple of blocks away from one of the major party districts in Edmo (sorry, I'm Aussie) so noise can be a bit of a factor eg wailing police / ambulance sirens.

As for the facilities. They had everything - laundry, TV/games room, vending machine, maps, information etc. I was staying in a private room but was on the all female level so had to go to another level to use the washroom (small price to pay). The room itself was big enough for me and I found that there was a mirror in the room as well (You don't get that even in hotel rooms!!!).

Beds were comfy and who knows, I might be back once the renovations are done.

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled solo