See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 10 April 2018

Clean place with friendly staff and great location right next to Whyte Ave which is great to go out, but the place does not have any charm. Everything you need is close by but the hostel has no vibe which is a little bit sad. They accommodate shows every now and then but that more disturbs the hostel guests than actually creating atmosphere.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
Greg W, Manager at HI Edmonton, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2018

Thanks for your comments. I'm pleased to hear you found the hostel clean, in a great location, and with friendly staff. However, I'm sorry that we didn't meet your full expectations. Greg, Manager

Reviewed 11 May 2017

I believe this place is run by someone who really knows what a backpacker really needs. The facility is so neat. I stayed in one of the dorms for 8 people and it was so spacious, beds are wide and sturdy. Customer service is excellent. I truly enjoyed my stay.
The lounge was neat with really modern furniture.The bathroom was very neat. I was able to store my luggage after checking out because my ride was scheduled to leave later in the day. You get to meet other travelers as well. This is the best hostel I have stayed in so far.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 October 2016 via mobile

Me and my sister stayed here for 2 nights as a stopover on our way to Jasper. I have only ever stayed in a hostel once before and this completely exceeded our expectations.

The hostel is located in an old part of Edmonton called Old Strathcona and there are plenty of nice eateries and bars nearby. There are also bus stops down the road with links into the rest of the city.

The staff were very friendly and helpful and as it was Thanksgiving weekend they provided pies in the common room for everybody to enjoy which was nice. There is also a lot of information about the city and things to do at the reception and on boards around the hostel.

We stayed in a private room opposite the women's washroom and everything was very clean and tidy. This includes the kitchen which has all the facilities you need to make a meal.

Towels are provided and you can use a washing machine for just $1.50.

All in all, a very enjoyable stay and would definitely recommend!

Stayed: October 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank francescawilkinson
Reviewed 18 April 2016

Hopefully the renos are done by now. Was a bit off the beaten track coming from the airport but I still managed to find the place. It's a couple of blocks away from one of the major party districts in Edmo (sorry, I'm Aussie) so noise can be a bit of a factor eg wailing police / ambulance sirens.

As for the facilities. They had everything - laundry, TV/games room, vending machine, maps, information etc. I was staying in a private room but was on the all female level so had to go to another level to use the washroom (small price to pay). The room itself was big enough for me and I found that there was a mirror in the room as well (You don't get that even in hotel rooms!!!).

Beds were comfy and who knows, I might be back once the renovations are done.

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled solo
3  Thank jbones999
Reviewed 8 April 2016 via mobile

I stayed in the 6 bed female dorm. It was very clean and only 1 bus to the shaw centre where I had a convention to attend. You can buy bus tickets at the nearby shoppers and get around quite easily. There are lots of cafes nearby the hostel.
The staff is friendly and helpful. There are bunk beds but good quality ones. There was even tea and coffee in the kitchenette. Towels are free too, I know some hostels charge a fee or deposit.

Stayed: April 2016, travelled on business