“Superb!!”

Paros Souvla
Ranked #77 of 3,854 Restaurants in Calgary
Cuisines: Greek
Reviewed 23 April 2018

I went there on my way from Edmonton to Banff as I was travelling on Stony Trail. Paros is barely 2 min from Stony Trail so easy to make a stop. It was recommended by Greek friends in Edmonton. Let me preface my opinion by a few things. I lived in England so visited Greece many times when I was there. Love Greek food. Living in Edmonton the Greek food I really missed most was a Gyros. A real Gyros just like in Greece or other places. I have had great Gyros from Greek places in Paris, from vendors at 3am in Crete. One of the best was from the bus station on Santorini. I missed the flavours and textures.
Paros has nailed it. This was a Gyros just like in Greece. It is one of the best I have had and the best in Canada. The bread is soft and lightly warmed with oil on a griddle. Its not that cardboard rubbish they put out in other places. The meat is perfect, soft juicy pieces along with just the right amount of crispy bits. I had the pork. The fries are tasty and add the right amount of soft potato and crispiness to a bite. The onions and tomato add flavour and more texture. The sauce drips and blends the flavours. Then to finish it there is the sprinkling of seasoning and salt which gives it that salt kick I remember. If you like Gyros then this is the only place you will get it the way it is made in Greece. On my return trip I brought back lamb and lemon potatoes. The best!!. The kids loved it. Its not often I will ask who the owner is. On this occasion I did. I told them well done and thank you!
The whole family will be back to try all the other dishes.

1  Thank Tryin_to_travel_well

Reviewed 26 March 2018 via mobile

Paros is our family's favorite takeout option in the NW.

The food is delicious, fresh, super consistent, and well priced.

The service is always friendly and professional.

The lamb ans chicken are our favorites, but they have the best spanakopita in town as well.

Dynamite Greek food.

Reviewed 24 January 2018

Loved it and will definitely be back! The gyro was just like in Greece. Since going in the summer I have been looking for somewhere with great gyro in Calgary, and Paros was it! Nothing gets closer.

Reviewed 23 January 2018

I'll preface this review by saying that my wife normally is not a fan of Greek salad. I will also say that I have pretty good culinary cuisine, so it is a tough sell for me when I have the option to cook at home. Finally, I have eaten at the same traditional Greek restaurants the reviewer below me indicated and even so, some would argue they fall short of eating in Greece itself.

As the new movement is toward fusion, "street food" and modern authentic, Paros Souvla delivers. My wife introduced me to this restaurant after having lunch there with friends. She ordered the village salad (their take on Greek Salad) with chicken and said it was to die for. Whhaaat? My wife like Greek Salad? Well so she took me out one night and it was a great experience for me. I had the beef wrap with Greek fries. Lots of food, the fries stuffed me (almost uncomfortably too). But the real highlight was her salad which she ordered again. I managed to take the leftovers to my office the following day and I felt it was even better the day after! The concept of the brick of feta is neat.

I really enjoyed this one experience, so I suggested we return and this was within two weeks (note we normally eat out at most once a month). This time, I had the pork platter. The rice and roasted veggies were phenomenal as well, and this time I felt the "right" kind of full, not the food coma-inducing type.

So there you have it. Three visits under a month. Where this differs from Opa (which is also a great option) is that Opa only serves beef from the spit (others are on a stick), whereas Paros will serve beef, pork and chicken from the spit (you can order a souvlaki too). I would personally rank the gyro meats in order of preference: chicken, pork then beef.

In short, for the right types of dishes, this place rocks. The platters are excellent, the fries are a bit heavy (but hey, still a good take on them), and the village salad is top notch. Be prepared to wait as everything is made fresh to order. Sometimes 15+ minutes if it is busy.

If you found this review to be helpful at all, please indicate below so I know where to focus my future efforts!

Reviewed 19 December 2017

How can one say that 'fast-food' Greek fare is good. Not really possible if compare it to the likes of My Greek Plate in Cochrane or Broken Plate in Willow Park, south Calgary? Upon returning 2x after the first better visit, I came to know that hype plays a part in Paros Souvia that can be overlooked the first time.
How to rate this place.
It's not all that good, but is quite passable for fast food.
Not much else to say when the last 2 times were not all that good.