“Soup and Salad”
Review of Smuggler's Inn

Smuggler's Inn
Reserve with OpenTable
Smuggler's Inn is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #49 of 4,001 Restaurants in Calgary
Price range: US$ 19 - US$ 34
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Southwest Calgary
Cross street: Glenmore Trail & Macleod Trail South
Description: Smuggler’s Inn originally began in 1967 as Bar X Steakhouse, an American company. The current owner, Frank Krowicki, bought out his partners and went to work developing a brand new concept to Calgary. His vision included a mix of casual, late night fine dining and live piano bar. Over the years, the building expanded around Smuggler’s Inn, with the addition of Winelite dining room on the west side, and Backstreet lounge and dining room on the north side. As the dining scene in Calgary began to change, Frank too saw a need to change and adapt. The first endeavour was the conversion of Backstreet lounge to Open Sesame in 2000. Open Sesame has been serving fresh, Pan Asian cuisine to happy customers ever since. The conversion of Backstreet dining room to Bolero was complete in 2007. As Calgary’s first Brazilian style steakhouse, Bolero continues to satisfy meat lovers with its unique and interactive style of dining. Our latest addition is Tango Bistro, on the west side of the building, which once was Winelite dining room. At Tango Bistro, we bring together fresh, locally inspired comfort dishes with a focus on cold, sustainable seafood and top quality steaks. In May 2013, Smuggler’s Inn celebrated 40 years of serving mouth-watering Alberta prime rib and steaks alongside many original items, which have made us famous around the world. Four restaurants under one roof keeps us busy, but we wouldn’t have it any other way. And the rest, as they say, is history! Smuggler's Group Rewards is a unique program that rewards you every time you visit us. For every dollar you spend, you earn points towards FREE Loyalty Certificates from Smuggler's Group Of Restaurants. Whenever you make a purchase, simply present your Smuggler's Group Rewards Card. We will automatically track your purchases and assign points to your membership. For every 200 points you accumulate, you will accumulate, you will automatically receive a $10 loyalty certificate to redeem on your next visit. There is no charge or fee associated with the Smuggler's Group Rewards Program. Just fill out the application, turn it in to us, and start using it right away.
Reviewed 11 October 2018

I have been in Smuggler's many times prior this visit. Soups, usually three kinds are ALWAYS very tasty. Freshly baked (?) or warmed up breadsticks are quite nice as well. Variety of salads are adequate. I was a bit disappointed NOT finding ANY fresh fruit. There were Chinese mandarins out of the tin (can) ONLY in a bowl. Surely, there could have been few slices of either honeydew or cantaloupe melons, or... BOTH. That was NOT the case while my friend and I visited for lunch on October 5, 2018.

Reviewed 8 October 2018

Went for a nice steak lunch on the recommendation of a colleague and what a nice little surprise. It is dark but that seems to add to the ambience. The prime-rib was delicious and large portions.

Reviewed 5 October 2018 via mobile

Took some clients here because they said they like prime rib.
I am a vegetarian and am not a good judge of steak houses.
Well, turned out great.
Derek was a wonderful server. Thank you!!!

Reviewed 5 October 2018 via mobile

Second time we have eaten here. Really need to come back more often. Had the rib eye and it was perfect. 2nd best steak I have ever had and that is saying something.

Our server, Derek was the right balance of funny, knowledgeable, helpful and professional. Great dining experience and will be back again and again

The apple crumble was a little sweet for my taste - but not even close to a downgrade because of it.

Reviewed 4 October 2018

My Wife and I visited Smugglers for the first time with my Mother in law for dinner. First, the place is VERY dark and a bit on the dangerous side as far as getting around. I actually had to use a light from my cell phone to help us read the menus. I had previously read in a few reviews about the lighting but didn't realize how much of an issue this was.

After we ordered our food we went to the salad and soup bar, which is part of the meal. The choices are decent but again it is VERY dark and difficult to see in this area. The items are labeled with descriptions hand written with markers on the glass, which honestly is ridiculous. The salad bar was good. As for the soup bar. There are 3 kinds of soups to pick from, but the bowls are very small. The spoons are big soup spoons so the combination of a very small bowl and a large soup spoon is awkward. It literally takes 3 or 4 bowls to get a regular bowl of soup down.

Next, our main courses. The Wife ordered a Burger and said it was terrible. The bun was rock hard to the point that she removed the bun and ate the inside of the burger without a bun. My Mother in law ordered Salmon which is cooked on a cedar plank. She was asked if she wanted some brown sugar on it and saying yes was a big mistake. The salmon had a incredible amount of brown sugar on it. It was sad seeing her take her table napkin and try to rub the sugar off. Definitely killed this dish with the
large amount of brown sugar. I ordered a cut of prime rib which was pretty decent. I asked for a bigger knife and they said they only had the one type which was the smallest cutting knife I have ever seen. Just barely a bit bigger than a pairing knife. So, I know that I have listed a pretty good list of issues to this point but this next issue is in my opinion is crap. The amount of mashed potatoes that were on my plate was disgustingly scarce. My meal was $41 and Smugglers you should be ashamed for the amount of mashed potatoes that you gave me with this dish!

Too dark and the food is not that good. The price we paid to eat here was , $125.
Not worth the meal that we got. We will not be returning to this restaurant again.

Been to Smuggler's Inn? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK